PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else notice a "sour" taste when they use Splenda?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jenniferpa
Wed, Aug-29-01, 12:16
Anytime I use Splenda for cooking and it doesn't involve something like lemon or vinegar I get a really distinct "sour" taste. Its particularly noticeable in chocolate recipes (I just threw out a pan of fudge). Is it just me or is it something I'm doing wrong? I've tried both Bakers unsweetened chocolate and unsweetened cocoa powder, and I'm using the "boxed" splenda.

TIA

Jay

Natrushka
Wed, Aug-29-01, 12:50
I realize this doesnt help much, but No, I haven't. However my boyfriend made that exact comment this morning after I made him something for breakfast that contained splenda (there was also lemon in this).

Nat

debbiedobson
Wed, Aug-29-01, 12:58
i've never noticed a sour taste jennifer. however when i'm making chocolate i use a combination of splenda and brown sugartwin. i like the taste of the two combined. did you add vanilla to your fudge. i always use vanilla with chocolate and i use just the regular unsweetened bakers chocolate. i also add cocoa too. hope this helps!

Sharon
Wed, Aug-29-01, 16:08
I agree with Debbie that mixing your artifical sugars seems to give a better flavour....but I also think that the artificial sweeteners do taste a little different, but it's a taste you acquire.

tofi
Wed, Aug-29-01, 16:18
I agree with Debbie & Sharon. Mixing sweeteners is a very good idea. I try to add the sweeteners as late as possible in the cooking process. But try to avoid anticipating that it will taste "just the same".

I think that nothing tastes the 'same' as sugar, especially in baking. If you want "different", try most of the forms of Stevia. THAT'S an acquired taste.

Adding vanilla or cinnamon or salt to any chocolate recipe may change things for the better. Yes, cinnamon or salt! But not both unless you've tried one. Try it before you decide that I'm nuts! One of my best "chocolate fixes" is this:
mix 1 Tbsp of cocoa powder (Bulk Barn carries a "red" variety that is higher fat & lower carb) with 1 Tbsp Splenda and enough heavy cream to make a paste. Mix a lot, when it goes shiny, it's getting there. Add a "bit" of salt OR a bit of cinnamon OR a bit of vanilla essence (not the artificial vanilla - it's not worth the $) It makes a sort of sauce that is YUMMEEEEEEE!

BarB

jenniferpa
Wed, Aug-29-01, 20:16
Thanks all - I guess my son and I must be peculiar (it must be the genes of the tea taster who was one of my ancestors). I've tried the mixing of sweetners but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Also vanilla essence. Almond essence works (kind of) but unfortunately my son doesn't like that taste, and he's the one I'm doing this cooking for. I don't think its the heating, even when I add the splenda after heating it tastes horrid. On one batch I tried baking soda (as per the splenda web site) and it improved it a bit but not enough to convince me to eat it. I guess I just don't like the taste of it with chocolate - as I said I don't notice it when its flavoured with lemon (or, come to think of it, vanilla).

I will try that cocoa/splenda/cream recipe - perhaps that would be chocolatey enough on ice-cream for my son's cravings.

Jay

Deirdre
Thu, Aug-30-01, 10:19
I have found some things made with Splenda to have a weird taste, especially when trying to make chocolate like you were. I think it tastes just horrible and I have tried a few times, even using combinations of sweeteners and I always end up throwing it out. I'm a major chocoholic so for me to throw it out means a lot!

I do make cheesecake with Splenda and it is great.

I'm sticking with chocolate made with maltitol though.

Nancy LC
Sun, Sep-14-03, 17:47
Ah ha! I use splenda all the time never ever taste sour, but I have been trying to make chocolate sauce with splenda and it just isn't coming out right. It's like it doesn't bind with chocolate or something. I taste the very bitter chocolate and then I taste the extremely sweet splenda and the result is not good at all!

Jeepgirl74
Tue, Sep-16-03, 15:56
I agree with you on the "sour" taste... it's not quite sour per se... but it makes the sour taste buds react a little. It's hard to explain. I notice it most when I make this cream cheese frosting recipe I found in a low carb cookbook... and it does involve a little vanilla and a little lemon juice.

Hmm. :) Maybe we're on to something! Although, I only notice it with the granular Splenda from the box and not the packets when I put it in iced tea or something like that.

cmwig
Thu, Sep-18-03, 07:43
I've noticed the 'sour' taste when I have cooked recipies that require unsweetened chocolate. I believe that something in the unsweetened chocolate reacts with the Splenda. I've had to throw out several desserts because they just weren't eatable. I haven't noticed this 'sour' or artificial flavor in anything else that I've cooked with Splenda. I'm thinking about trying Stevia or some other kind of sweetner for my chocolate recipies. Were you using cocoa or unsweetened chocolate in your recipie? I'm wondering if it makes a difference in the kind of chocolate you use.

Nancy LC
Thu, Sep-18-03, 09:52
It was unsweetened chocolate, the kind that comes in the 1 oz bar.

I could try Stevia, they sell it at Trader Joe's I think.

want2bfit
Thu, Sep-18-03, 10:13
Nancy, I agree with you. I am trying to make peanut butter cups. Everytime I do the chocolate part I have a problem. When I mix it and keep tasting it, it is either bitter from the chocolate or the next bit of splenda, sweet n low or sugar twin that I add it gets that weird sour taste. I was wondering if it was the chocolate.