PDA

View Full Version : Mock Danish

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pages : [1] 2

Natrushka
Wed, Aug-29-01, 06:40
Oh yum. I made this for breakfast. John saw the recipe and decided to opt out (at first. ha!) They are wonderful! and you can improvise as much as you like.

Mock Danish

2 oz cream cheese (soften in microwave)
1 egg
1 tblspn splenda
1 tsp lemon concentrate
1/2 tsp vanilla

mix softened cream cheese and egg. Add remaining ingredients. microwave on high for 2 minutes.

I added some 50 fifty jam in the centre before nuking... delicious.

* it tastes better if you don't totally mix the egg and cream cheese; you get little pockets of crm cheese.

Nat

Sharon
Thu, Aug-30-01, 12:34
Hi, just thought I'd let you know that we tried this last night....interesting!!!

Reminds me of custard....I also added a tsp. of raspberry jam to the centre before cooking....a nice quick....boost.

My sweetie and I shared it while it was still hot...I was wondering what it tasted like cold...but it didn't last that long.

Natrushka
Thu, Aug-30-01, 12:49
We had it again this morning but with cinammon and some butter in the centre when it came out of the microwave (omitted the lemon). Tasted just like french toast. May try it with some cocoa for a dessert. Its almost too good.

N

Sharon
Fri, Aug-31-01, 17:36
I like the cinnamon idea?? Is this your own creation...if it is we should be posting it in the members recipe section.

In my other life, (high carb life!) I had this dessert I used to make. It was like a cake batter with raspberries and I steam cooked it. For serving I'd add a butterscotch sauce. (Similar to Christmas Pudding idea if you know it). When we were eating the mock danish with the hot raspberry jam...got me thinking...hmmmm....wonder how I could make a butterscotch sauce to go with it!!!

Natrushka
Fri, Aug-31-01, 19:46
it's not my own creation. I saw it on another BB this week.

It's amazing with the cinammon, kinda like french toast.

I'm going to add some cocoa and see if I can make a brownie.... might be tempting fate though.... I can see myself eating if for breakfast lunch and dinner!

Nat

debbiedobson
Sat, Sep-01-01, 08:25
oh sharon, i know exactily what kind of sauce you mean!! i think it's my favourite sauce in the world! i'll leave it to your expertise to figure out the lowcarb version! i'm counting on you sharon!!;)

debbiedobson
Sat, Sep-01-01, 08:26
oops!;)

r.mines
Sat, Sep-01-01, 10:22
I tried it with quark instead of cream cheese (trying to cut down on dairy fat). It was yummy - more like custard than anything else. I used cinnamon and Splenda. It'd be great spooned warm over berries, or for those days when you're not feeling well and want something warm, eggy, and soothing.

Rachel

Sharon
Mon, Sep-03-01, 07:33
This morning I used a cup (measuring cup), just because I had been using it for something else....anyways I mixed all the ingredients in the cup and then poured them in a lightly pam sprayed dish. The Danish just slide out of the dish and the clean up was real easy. I'd rather wash two easy dishes than one tough one!! (Actually I don't do much washing, but the baked on egg doesn't come off very well in the dishwasher!)

Natrushka
Mon, Sep-03-01, 09:32
I use one of the reusable/disposalbe tupperware containers to make them. They have yet to stick to the bowl and clean up's a breeze. I've found if you take a spatula and go around the sides of the bowl prior to microwaving there's very little that gets "baked on". I also run the spatula around the edges when I take it out after one minute and add the Jam (Fifty 50 for John). Going to try the quark this week and see how that works. Thx for the suggestion, Rachel.

Nat

Sharon
Wed, Sep-05-01, 13:45
Nat, this seems to be our little conversation...but wanted you to know this morning I tried this Mock Danish in a "Rubbermaid" type container...and it didn't stick, not like it does in a glass dish.

Actually, put the ingredients together and "miked" it when I got to the office. You could smell the cinnamon all over the whole office, it was heavenly!!

Another neat little breakfast idea.....or dessert...or for whenever that's for sure.

Deirdre
Thu, Sep-06-01, 09:16
I just made this with cinnamon and brown sugar twin instead of lemon and put some E.D. Smith no sugar maple syrup on it.
Mmmmmmmm!

Thanks for posting it, it's easier than the pork rind pancakes, although it might be harder to make the quantity that would satisfy my husband!

Natrushka
Thu, Sep-06-01, 09:32
Originally posted by Deirdre
although it might be harder to make the quantity that would satisfy my husband!

I know the feeling!!

Heard every night at my house.... "How 'bout a mock danish for dessert?"

Nat

cori
Thu, Sep-06-01, 17:57
I must try this right now. Stay posted for my verdict!

cori
Thu, Sep-06-01, 18:14
I have to get offline now to make another. Delish! Thanks Natrushka! Hey - what's the carb count on my newest addiction?

Natrushka
Thu, Sep-06-01, 19:22
This is for the original recipe (w/ lemon and vanilla, but NO cinammon). Also, I've been using Philly Light; for some bizarre reason it has less carbs than regular.

Mock Danish
Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 1 serving
Calories 167.76
Calories from Fat 117

Total Fat 13g 20%
Saturated Fat 6.87g 34%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.987g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.28g
Sodium 210mg 9%
Potassium 170mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 4g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Protein 11.43g 23%

tamarian
Thu, Sep-06-01, 20:22
I just tried it, it sounded so simple. It was simple, but wasn't sure what texture to expect, as the name implied a danish. It was very watery after 2 minutes on high, so I kept nuking it for 5 minutes on high and was still watery. But the taste was great. Makes an excellent breakfast. Is that what you guys got, or is my microwave too week?

Sharon
Thu, Sep-06-01, 20:28
Wa'il, mine wasn't watery at all. I would be able to turn it upside down out of the dish and it would stay together. My microwave is 20 years old...and I believe it's a 700 watt. I'm sure newer ones would be a higher wattage and even cook faster. At the office we have a tiny microwave and I cooked it for 2.5 minutes on high and it was perfect!

Good for breakfast or dessert, don't you think.

Natrushka
Thu, Sep-06-01, 20:33
It comes out firm and very french toast like on my 10 year old microwave (that's pretty useless for anything over 5 minutes)

Maybe it was the container? I may NOT have mentioned it, but you should cover the dish while you nuke it.

Nat

tamarian
Thu, Sep-06-01, 20:43
I did not cover it, and I might have had too much cheese, I guesstimate what an ounce was :)

Thanks for the tips!

Sharon
Thu, Sep-06-01, 20:52
Darn those manufacturers when they stopped putting the 1/4 cup lines on the wrapper!! Must have been another cost saving reason.

By the way, the recipe says 2 oz....

Give it another try, maybe it will turn out better.

Deirdre
Thu, Sep-06-01, 21:53
I made it for my husband tonight without telling him what it was, he looked at it said no thanks, said he wasn't hungry. I told him just to taste it and he ate the whole thing! He really liked it.

So, I've made 3 now and they all looked kind of wet but they seemed to be cooked ok, I didn't cover them. I just cut the cream cheese block into 1/4s. I used a round Ziploc disposable container, about the size of a danish.

Now I don't have any syrup left and I don't have any lemon to try that! I'll have to stock up on cream cheese too!!

doreen T
Thu, Sep-06-01, 23:00
What do you know, I just happen to have some Snøfrisk (goat cream cheese) in the fridge ....:D

I think I could manage this for a late breakfast.

Doreen

cori
Fri, Sep-07-01, 07:24
Mock Danishes! I had three last night before I went to bed. I ended up mixing the cinnamon in and topping it with a pat of butter when it was done.

I fix mine in a one cup rubbermaid thingie, no lid for 2 minutes. It comes out like a muffin shape. I cut it in half, slap on the butter.... mmmmmmmm!

I had one before I left for work also. My 2yo son already loves them... "Bite, bite???", he says. Thanks for the great recipe Nat!

debbiedobson
Fri, Sep-07-01, 08:53
i've made this several times! i just love it! i increased the cheese to 3 oz. i use davinci syrop and brown sugar twin to replace the splenda. i've done sevaral different flavours! very yummy! and fast!:D

doreen T
Fri, Sep-07-01, 09:15
The texture was fine .. I used the prescribed measures of cr. cheese and 1 egg ... cut the sweetener back to 1 SugarTwin tablet, crushed (didn't want to use liquid sweetener, after Wa'il's concern about "wateriness" ... and I don't use the powdered sweeteners with maltodextrin) ... had no lemon extract, so added a little finely grated fresh lemon rind. It was great ... then I made the mistake of dribbling a little DaVinci syrup over :eek: ... Whoa!!! I think I've just had my dose of sweet to last me until Thanksgiving, and beyond. I think a dusting of cinnamon will be just perfect from now on!

Definitely will try this again (sans excess sweet)

Doreen

Sharon
Fri, Sep-07-01, 11:11
This has got to be the best new low carb eating idea of the month!!!

I think what is so appealing is it's so fast to make and the ingredients are "basic" low carb ingredients we have on hand!!

I've taken this to work twice this week....all made in my container ready to mike. I don't have a long drive, so I don't have to worry about the ingredients being out of the fridge for long.

I agree that the sugars can be cut way back....a little brown sugar twin and cinnamon...and my favourite a teaspoon of no sugar raspberry jam in the centre................YUMMY.

Deirdre
Fri, Sep-07-01, 12:51
Would lemon extract be better to use than lemon concentrate?

Natrushka
Fri, Sep-07-01, 13:07
I'm not sure Deirdre. To be honest, I havent used the lemon recipe since I tried the cinammon :rolleyes: It's my fave. The great thing about this seems to be that you can improvise at will. I can only suggest that you try it and let us know.

Nat

Deirdre
Fri, Sep-07-01, 21:01
I just didn't realize how low carb the lemon juice concentrate was! I bought some today and made the original recipe with E.D.Smith jam in the middle, wow, it was really good!
This time I tried to cook 2 at the same time and it ended up taking about 4 minutes.

Natrushka
Fri, Sep-07-01, 22:25
Adding a teaspoon of cocoa gives you a brownie like dish. This could be dangerous!

Nat

debbiedobson
Sat, Sep-08-01, 09:36
today for breakfast i made it savoury! i didn't want sweet for brekkie. i added parmesan cheese and dill. i also added a little salt, which i won't do next time. it was delicious! i just cook it in my regular soup/cereal bowls. then off to the dishwasher! this recipe is soooo versatile! thank-you natalie!:roll: :roll: :roll:

Natrushka
Sat, Sep-08-01, 09:44
Originally posted by debbiedobson
this recipe is soooo versatile! thank-you natalie!

You're welcome, Debbie. And actually, it's Natasha ;) (the 'uska' is the familiar of Natasha in russian)

Nat

debbiedobson
Sat, Sep-08-01, 09:59
sorry about the name natrushka! i didn't even realize i'd typed natalie! i know a few nat's who are natalies. natasha is much more exotic!

cyntalkalo
Sat, Sep-08-01, 10:02
This recipe is fabulous! I have tried all kinds of variations. Sure beats eggs & bacon every day. 2 tblspns pumpkin & pumpkin pie spice sure makes a nice one. The small amount of sugar free jam in the middle is real nice.

danume
Sat, Sep-08-01, 17:24
:spin: I really enjoyed it.......I tried it with pumpkin pie spice and was very happy.

maestra
Sun, Sep-09-01, 16:26
I'm salivating from the description - but what would be the cooking temp and time in a regular oven?

Sharon
Sun, Sep-09-01, 16:48
Hi...I would try it in a moderate oven....350. I don't think it would take long to cook...I'll guess 10-12 minutes, you'll have to do some experimenting. Just keep a close watch on it. Actually cooked in the oven sounds great too. I'm sure it would be very light and fluffy.

If you try it in the oven, let us know how it turns out and how long it actually did take to cook!!

Sharon
Mon, Sep-10-01, 05:19
Hi, I've posted the Mock Danish Recipe in the Member's Recipe Section. I included (hopefully all), your variations and hints for the recipe.

If you come up with more, we can always add Mock Danish Recipe Variations, so please continue to post ideas as you come up with news ones.

This is our first recipe posted where we've had such a great group effort.

Next up is Doreen's Hash Brown Recipe along with all your variations. (hopefully in the next couple days)

joanne42
Tue, Sep-11-01, 06:58
Okay you guys.. NOW you did it.. Now the curiosity has gotten to the better of me and I MUST try this recipe.. Teehee.. I'm not normally one for sweets but a change is good right?? hmm will let you know the results...

CherylAust
Tue, Sep-11-01, 10:12
At last a lo carb recipe that has ingredients I can get in Australia, I miss out on trying a lot of the recipes here because I can't get the ingredients.
All the raves about this recipe have made my mouth water, I would like to try it now but it is after 2 am and I really should be in bed.
Can I substitute real lemon juice for the concentrate?

Cheryl:yum:

doreen T
Tue, Sep-11-01, 10:23
I made this .. it's yummy .. I just used a little freshly grated lemon rind/peel ... lots of lemony flavour :cool: . and minimal carbs (mostly fiber) .. 1 tsp/5 ml has 0.32 carbs/0.21g fiber.

I also baked it in my toaster oven ~10 minutes ... it intensified the "french toast flavour" and got a nice golden edge to it ... can't get that in the microwave.

Doreen

Natrushka
Tue, Sep-11-01, 10:44
Made it with quark as suggested, a little runny, but I can play with it... Nice alternative to the higher fat cream cheese... think i'll whip up a few to have prepared for work.

Nat

P.S. the beauty of this Cheryl, is it seems you can substitute anything you want ;)

CherylAust
Tue, Sep-11-01, 23:48
After I got off last night I couldn't resist, I just had to try it out. I knew I wouldn't be able to get to sleep if I didn't. So at 2.30 am I fixed up a batch, it is so quick to make. It was delicious, I even made for breakfast, a nice change from bacon and eggs. I have run out of cream cheese or I would have made it several more times today.
All I can say is :yum:

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: for Nat for sharing this recipe

CherylAust
Tue, Sep-11-01, 23:51
It actually reminded me of Bread and Butter Pudding. I am going to try on my fussy dh, he loves B and B pudding.

Deb White
Wed, Sep-12-01, 22:47
You are so right cheryl, just like bread & butter pudding. Put cream on top of mine and all I need now is something to replace the sultana's.

Nat, did you try it with Cocoa??, any way fantastic receipe.
Also tried the Faux Cauliflower, fantastic as well.

Deb

:dazzle:

CherylAust
Thu, Sep-13-01, 02:40
I made it again today, this time I toasted it under the grill (thanks Doreen) and topped it with a touch of jam and cream. I had a cuppa with it. It was just like having a Devonshire Tea.

Cheryl

Sharon
Thu, Sep-13-01, 05:02
I tried chocolate, but my favourite is cinnamon with raspberry jam!!

td2227
Thu, Sep-13-01, 05:13
Can you please tell me what the carb count is on this.

Trace

Natrushka
Thu, Sep-13-01, 06:46
Trace, if you go to the beginning of the thread, I posted the nutritional information for the original version.

Nat

CherylAust
Sat, Sep-15-01, 03:26
This is such a verstile recipe.
Today I was in a cinnamon donut mood. What to do? I made up the recipe, left out the lemon, and instead of microwaving it, fried it in oil,butter mixture. I made piklets from it, they are less fragile than the real thing. After draining them on paper towels I sprinkled cinnamon + splenda over them. It worked really well.

Cheryl:yum:

debbiedobson
Sat, Sep-15-01, 07:08
doreen, what kind of container did you use in the toaster oven? i'd like to try that!

Karen
Sat, Sep-15-01, 09:21
One day I'll have to try one of these durned things! ;)

They scare me. 'Fraid I won't be able to stop at one. :eek:

This may be the LC recipe of the year!

Karen

Sharon
Sat, Sep-15-01, 11:52
You're right Karen, one is good...but two would be even better!!!

gpop529
Mon, Sep-24-01, 08:20
Hey thanks for posting this recipie, this is a wonderful desert.
The reaction from the rest of my family was a big surprize, by the time they all had a taste it was almost gone.

p.s. try using fresh grated nutmeg
it is wonderful, and the aroma is to die for !!

terri in Baudette

wangeci
Mon, Sep-24-01, 10:06
Sure sis, you didn't make it when I was home visiting, thanks a lot. Glad you liked it. I have yet to try it, maybe tonight for a treat I will try it.
:D Cindy

gpop529
Mon, Sep-24-01, 10:44
Hey I was craving chocolate, what else can I say.
This sounds like a treat but it is really a slice of Heaven.
You need to try it, I used the pink stuff insted of liquid.

terri in Baudette :bhug:

AmandaSo
Wed, Sep-26-01, 23:37
I tried this tonight.

Fast. Easy. Yummy.

I think I'm in love.

/cas

Stina
Fri, Sep-28-01, 15:18
Yummy, just tried this. So many options...

I made mine with a tbsp ground toasted almonds splenda and coconut extract. It would have been so much better with hazelnut extract but alas, I have none. I think I will also try brown sugar twin next time.

I wonder if adding another egg and then baking in the oven (like mockmuffins) may make for a firmer muffin type consistency (for packing lunches etc). Will try that next!

Tara
Fri, Sep-28-01, 21:53
I tried this for the first time tonight, and I think I've found my new favorite treat. What a great receipe you found Nat.

:yum: I can't wait to try the different variations you all have come up with!:yum:

Lessara
Tue, Oct-02-01, 13:33
How can I make this using a stove/oven? Or is it impossible?

Natrushka
Tue, Oct-02-01, 13:49
Read the thread from the beginning, Lessara... Someone else tried it in the oven and it came out well.

Nat

cathyc
Sun, Oct-07-01, 08:53
I would like to know if you increase the eggs do you have to increase the cream cheese?

Natrushka
Sun, Oct-07-01, 09:00
Originally posted by cathyc
I would like to know if you increase the eggs do you have to increase the cream cheese?

I would guess it's a matter of personal choice, Cathy. My boyfriend typically uses more eggs (2 or 3) and less cream cheese, it just looks fluffier and more omelet like. Try it both ways and see which one you prefer :)

Nat

madpiano
Thu, Oct-11-01, 19:04
Hi

This sounds really yummy. Have to make this tomorrow ( I am sitting here at work, dribbling into my Keyboard :D ).

I just have one question: What Cream Cheese do you use ?

I know Natrushka mentioned Philly, is this the kind of style to use (more like sour cream) ? Or is it more like Mascarpone ( more like sweet cream ) ?

Greetings
Sabine

PS: as I do have to go shopping anyway, how many tubs of Cream Cheese should I buy ? Just in case I get hooked ?? :p

Deirdre
Thu, Oct-11-01, 20:18
The cream cheese we (well, I) use comes in 8 ounce (250g) blocks and is pretty solid. Nothing like sour cream and I'm not familiar with mascarpone but it's not sweet either. 1 block will make 4 mock danishes, I usually buy at least 2!

doreen T
Thu, Oct-11-01, 20:38
I checked with the Cook's Thesaurus page for fresh cheeses http://www.foodsubs.com/Chefresh.html ... and cream cheese is described a short way down the page, if you want to have a look. You'll see there's a picture of Philadelphia brand, which is made by Kraft (it's nicknamed Philly). According to that resource, cream cheese is known as white cheese in Europe.

Doreen

duchesse
Thu, Oct-11-01, 21:08
This is absolutely delicious, I loved it, i read the recipe 5 minutes ago, went to the kitchen and made it.

The only problem is that I am on induction, do you think I can have this everyday for breakfast?

maggie

Karen
Thu, Oct-11-01, 23:56
The only problem is that I am on induction, do you think I can have this everyday for breakfast?

Do you think it will set off cravings? Everyone reacts differently, but I would wait till after induction, and then only rarely.

Karen

madpiano
Fri, Oct-12-01, 05:49
Hi

Sorry to be annoying reagrding the kind of cream cheese to use, the problem is, cream cheese here in the UK is basically all soft cheese. Anything from "sweet" cheeses like Ricotta and ascarpone to Philly and Boursin (sharp taste, very dry and crumbly, contains garlic or pepper). I think I might just give it a try with different ones and see which one comes out the best (maybe I give the garlic Boursin a miss when mixing it with cinnamon and jam ;) )

Greetings
Sabine

MaryB
Fri, Oct-12-01, 15:55
This IS GOOD! You can keep these ideas coming all day - this one doesn't even break the piggy bank to try out. Simple, easy and great tasting! Thanks!
P.S. to Cori: Your kid (I assume that is who is in the picture) is ADORABLE!

Karen
Fri, Oct-12-01, 18:28
Actually, this sounds like a great idea Sabine...

...maybe I give the garlic Boursin a miss when mixing it with cinnamon and jam

...but mixing it instead with a bit of ham or smoked salmon and of course omitting the sweet stuff. Maybe a few fresh herbs?

Your cheese experiments will be interesting. Philadelphia - Philly - seems to be the most commonly available cream cheese in NA. It is also available as a soft spreadable variety in a tub.

Karen

madpiano
Sat, Oct-13-01, 13:33
Just made my first Mock Danish

I used 2oz of Philadelphia
1 Egg
1/2 tsp of Vanilla Essence
3 crushed Sacharin Tablets ( can't get splenda)
1/2 tsp Cinnamon

weird taste. Not sure if I like it. The cheese is quite salty, the rest of the ingredients quite sweet. 3 Tablets of Saccharin may be a bit too much ? They are tiny ! I think this would taste better with Mascarpone, but not sure about the consistency.
Will try that tomorrow.

Sharon
Sun, Oct-14-01, 19:15
Made this today and added a couple of tbsp. of pumpkin (touch of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, Splenda)...kind of a cross between a pumpkin cheese cake and a pumpkin custard!!

It was very good and I'd make it again... A fast dessert. I didn't add whipped cream, but that definitely would have been good on it as well.

Gerri
Sat, Oct-20-01, 14:26
I also made the danish with the pumpkin and it was wonderful. Close enough to pumpkin pie for me! Added a little whipped cream on top. Awesome! :)

Sharon
Sat, Oct-20-01, 19:06
We had this also yesterday!! A real quick easy dessert!!

madpiano
Sun, Oct-21-01, 15:38
I have now made my second Mock Danish.
This time I used Mascarpone Cheese and I also dissolved the Saccharin-Tablet in water beforehand.

It tasted much better, not sure about the consistency though. It was rising like mad in the microwave, but fell into itself when I took it out, which gave it a "melted rubber"-like look and consistency. Is my Microwave too strong ? Should I use a lower setting ( I nuked it at 700W).

The Saccharin has a nasty aftertaste ( not bitter, just very sweet), but it is the only non-aspartame thing I can find.

My mom will send some german liquid sweetener over. That may be better.

Elihnig
Sat, Nov-17-01, 09:05
Mock Danish has now become my football watching snack (American).

My husband makes his Sunday Pizza, and I make chocolate Mock Danish in the oven after.

I use 4 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons Splenda
vanilla if I remember

I mix it loosely, mostly getting the powder ingrediants mixed with the egg and stirred in a bit to the cream cheese but leave vast huge pockets of untouched cream cheese. It cooks in the oven, maybe 15 minutes, I don't count, and it's like a brownie treat with warm cream cheese. Beautiful contrast of black and white.

I like this so much I only have one on Sundays, and I make something protein with it to have for a lunch, like a can of tuna. I'm full all afternoon and husband's pizza and chips have no effect on me.

Elihnig

alan
Sat, Nov-17-01, 16:09
Nat,

Remember what you are about to read comes from a male.

Recipe is fine insofar as ingredients are concerned but prior to making it I would like to know how many servings are there? Does it all go into one portion and then do you dole it out or do you make in separate portions. eg. cup cake papers etc.

Confused but happy.

Al

Natrushka
Sat, Nov-17-01, 16:19
:) Al, the ingredients in the original (first few posts in this thread) are for one. Often we double it and still make it for one. It all depends on how hungry you are :)

I like to put it on a plate with some butter to cool, my boyfriend eats it right out of the tupperware container.

Enjoy,
Nat

A thin me!
Sat, Nov-17-01, 16:25
1.) What is the count for this yummy item and can people on
Atkins eat this???

2.) No Splenda -- have Stevia - can I substitute? How much do you think or should I use Equal or Sweet N Low??? Can not find Splenda here in Illinois.

Thanks

Natrushka
Sat, Nov-17-01, 16:29
The entire count for the recipe is listed a few posts into the thread. Head back to the beginning and read down, its all there.

I think it's ok for Atkins, but i'm not sure about Induction. Check with your book to see that you can have cream cheese, the eggs I know are ok :)

Stevia should work, experiment and see. The others don't do well when heated. As for Stevia, I have never used it so I'm not sure how much you'll need. Alternatively you could make a savoury one with some veggies and / herbs; there are a few examples of this kind of danish in the thread as well, no sweeteners required.

Happy baking,
Nat

itsjoyful
Sat, Nov-17-01, 16:42
hi!
you can make it with steevia, but be careful. it's so strong, that a little goes a long way. i tried once, put in too much (2 small scoops) and had to throw it out.
hth
brenda

A thin me!
Sat, Nov-17-01, 16:45
Thank you. I have the liquid Stevia and I will try it out slowly as I have never worked with this product before. I am not a
big sweet eater -- so maybe I can get by with a drop.

Thanks again

A Thin Me

LC Sponge
Sat, Nov-17-01, 16:59
OK OK - I read all through this thread and thought "what's all the excitement?" then I tried Elihnig's variation above, except I just zapped it in the micro at high for 2 minutes in a tupperware bowl, instead of baking in the oven.

Not only does it taste good, (ok - great) but it also looks really appetizing. The white pockets of cream cheese, actually look like mini-marshmellows. DH and I split one. It was just enough for a *sweet* with our tea.

I'm sold. It's now my favourite dessert.

Deirdre
Sat, Nov-17-01, 17:24
Does it all go into one portion and then do you dole it out or do you make in separate portions. eg. cup cake papers etc.

The original recipe makes one serving. I make it in one of the "disposable" ziploc containers, a round one, it's about 5" or 6"diameter, holds 14 oz (414ml) about the size of a real danish. I microwave it for 2 minutes and then pop it out onto a plate.

I usually add a few drops of sweet'n'low in addition to the Splenda and sometimes use Davinci amaretto syrup instead of vanilla. I think Stevia would work fine, you might have to experiment with the amount.

Karen
Sat, Nov-17-01, 17:34
Yep, you can use stevia, but use sparingly. It can take a while to get the aftertaste out of your mouth if you use too much.

Karen

Natrushka
Sat, Nov-17-01, 18:51
Originally posted by LC Sponge
I'm sold. It's now my favourite dessert.

It took me about 4 tries to decide I was going chocolate; never looked back :) That mix of cream cheese and cocoa is wonderful, kind of like a very moist brownie. LC, have you tried the bulk barn ruby red cocoa? It's even richer than the regular stuff (22% fat as opposed to 12%)

Nat

Chrissy
Tue, Nov-20-01, 17:45
Now I know what all the rave is all about when I see all the Mock Danish replies go by..........I bought some cream cheese and your right the light has less carbs ( I wonder why), anyways, I can't believe how wonderfully delicious this quick and easy recipe is!!!
I mixed mine with cocoa, perfect for when TOM visits, LOL

Thanks for sharing! :wave:

mckenziev5
Tue, Nov-27-01, 19:20
Question?? I am stuck on the Mock Danish. Can anyone help? The recipe calls for 2 oz cream cheese. Does that mean 2 oz or 2 of the 8oz cream cheese? How much does this recipe make at a time? What do you cook in? I feel real stupid, but i want to try this. Bread didn't turn out real good either. i made the adkins bread. pretty thick and heavy with barely any taste. Any solutions or is this it? Thanks for the help.

mckenzie

Natrushka
Tue, Nov-27-01, 19:56
It's 2 oz of cream cheese and it makes enough for one person. Nuke it in a microwave safe dish e.g. tupperware.

N

firespirit
Mon, Dec-31-01, 07:31
I tried this for breakfast it was really yummy:

Basic Mock Danish Recipe-Cinnamon
crushed porkrinds
mix together
fry like like little pancakes-I made a double portion
place on plate with butter and Atkins maple syrup

MMMMMMMmmmmmm!!!Gooood! :yum:

PJ in Miam
Sat, Jan-05-02, 17:07
What is quark you guys?
My only association with the term is a short greedy guy on ST: DS9. :)
(Another secret treknut here...)
PJ

oregonmom
Sat, Jan-05-02, 17:32
Mmmmmmm..... mmmmm...... good! I'm almost sorry that I tried this one! I think I'm addicted and I've only had one! I added hazelnut sugar free syrup instead of the lemon. :)

Thanks!

lisaf
Sat, Jan-05-02, 22:38
We need a "hall of fame posts" category for this one...who'd a thought that some wierd mixture that makes your microwave smell so bad could elicit so much passion?

Mock danish addicts unite!

Lisa

cyntalkalo
Sun, Jan-06-02, 10:01
This dish has so many possibilities. I have tried so many versions that it is never boring. It has all the things a dish needs to be. Tastey, easy to make, can be made in a microwave. You can add meat, veggies to make a dinner type dish. Spices & syrups to make a breakfast or dessert.
This truly belongs in the famous catagory!!

donnaj
Sun, Jan-06-02, 11:46
Thanks Natruskha for the recipe. It was so goooood! :yum:

Mindyd
Sun, Jan-06-02, 20:25
I'm hoping I have all the ingredients necessary for this one....I bought three bricks of cream cheese today, but I used them for bushong6's pumpkin dessert - another awesome sweet if you are so inclined!

I'm thinking breakfast will be something different tomorrow!

Nat - love the new picture - you look awesome!

Mindy :dazzle:

PJ in Miam
Mon, Jan-07-02, 01:13
Ah, the pretty Natrushka, I gotta tell you what happened with my bright idea for your 'mock danish'!

I was thinking about all the protein I had NOT had today that I should have, and it was too late for a meal. I wondered what would happen if I used a scoop of my new protein powder (Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Vanilla Ice Cream flavor which smells downright yummy) in the mix for your mock danish. I decided that since it might be strong (I didn't know) I'd double the recipe. So I tried:

1scoop OptN VIC PrPowder,
2 eggs,
4oz cream cheese,
2pkt splenda,
3caps orange extract,
some cinnamon.
Nuke 4mins.

I put this in a kinda deep round soft-plastic bowl, every spring/summer they sell these at super walmart for picnics and kids. It poofed up to about 3.5-4" high... and stayed there, and stayed round.

I let it cool and took it out. Poked at it with a fork. It was so... so... SOLID! After eating some of it, I got to peeking 'inside' it, lots of hollow spaces like air bubbles.

I bet if I'd oven baked it in something, it would have been even more solid-seeming.

First the BAD news: It was the most bland thing I have ever eaten. Bizarrely, it didn't taste orange, or eggs, or the protein powder -- it was sort of weirdly "undecided" about what it should taste like. I wasn't real fond of it, but I didn't dislike it either, it was just too bland to even register an opinion except that eating it was boring!

And then I thought -- BREAD! I MADE BREAD! BRRREEEEEAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!

I could just slice this up and put a tuna-mayo mix on it! Or my garlic-cheese mix! Or...

I stuck the rest in a ziploc, and I'll try that tomorrow morning.

And now, I have a solution for the fact that I've got all kinds of yummy spreads for bread, including meat-stuffs -- but darn it all, no bread, and the LC stuff I see looks pretty icky.

Thank you!!!

Now to work on arranging an actual TASTE for it...

[editing this:]

The Accidental Bread

Following the above, Nat, here's a breakdown and thoughts --

egg 2 'large' each have 0.61carb 74.5cal 6.24prot 5fat S:1.55 P:0.68 M:1.9
cream cheese 4oz each 1oz has: 1carb 2prot 100cal 10fat
optimum nutrition protein powder 1scoop vanilla ice cream flavor carbs 2 prot 22 cal 110 fat 1.5
using a plastic bowl of some kind, something ~4"x4" and at least 4-5 inches high on the sides would be great
microwaving for 4 minutes

something else is needed here -- for flavor. It had none worth eating. It wasn't openly 'bad' (I've had some atkins stuff I think tastes pretty bad!) -- but I didn't really wanna eat it plain, either -- it'll just take some experimenting to find some spices or something that make it yummy.

carbs: 8.42
protein: 42.48
cal: 659
fat: 51.5

Depending on width of bowl, if it's reasonably small but high (normal bread-size for example, round or square ) this cooks up high and solid. Cut into 5 slices (it could make a few more if they were really thin) this would be per slice:

carbs: 1.684
protein: 8.496
cal: 131.8
fat: 10.3

Which is really not bad at all for having some bread you can pile high with sandwich toppings... and a heck of a lot of protein for 'bread' no less... I'm wondering what it would be like with some potassium salt (I think it didn't want to be sweet like I tried to make it), some parmesan, some minced pepperoni, some oregano and red pepper flakes. Next time, I'll try that. PIZZA BREAD! It could happen! :)

I'm going to happily eat it as bread tomorrow regardless, with sandwich stuff on top. It doesn't have enough of a taste either way to interfere with anything I might want to put on top of it. I credit the type of protein powder for this, though. I'm sure atkins shake or bake mix, which I've been using until tonight, would be a pretty hideous result.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for adding tastiness, because the protein powder killed all the yummy taste -- again, it doesn't taste BAD, it just tastes BLAND, it needs something, anything. Every good 'bread' spice I think of -- Rye, caraway -- is a seed! Grains, oh no! :)

PJ

IslandGirl
Mon, Jan-07-02, 12:46
... it's just so much FUN :D

My variation (and tastebuds) ended up with:
Ginger Lemon Mock Thingie
1 large veggie-fed freerange egg :yum: beaten
2 oz cream cheese - spreadable (Winnipeg or Victoria style, for those interested, Canada-specific)
5 'squirts' pure ginger extract (new product from Health Food Store)
1/4 teaspoon pure lemon oil
10 drops liquid sodium cyclamate (Sucaryl) sweetener
10 drops liquid sodium saccharin (SuperRose) sweetener

This was soft and moist, more like a quiche without the chunks, but what a lovely taste and creamy texture!

Natrushka
Mon, Jan-07-02, 13:04
Originally posted by PJ in Miam
I'd appreciate any suggestions for adding tastiness, because the protein powder killed all the yummy taste -- again, it doesn't taste BAD, it just tastes BLAND, it needs something, anything. Every good 'bread' spice I think of -- Rye, caraway -- is a seed! Grains, oh no! :) PJ

PJ, I can't help you with the bread idea - but kudos on ingenuity :thup: I do know that for the actual recipe as written if you cook it longer than listed it goes get very dry and "blah" - it is supposed to be almost "not cooked" looking in the centre. I prefer the version with the cinamom - it really does taste like french toast.

I must admit it never occured to me to try it with protein powder - I tend to get enough protein from my 6 daily meals - I use this recipe as the odd treat (when calories and fat are too low and on my Free day when I don't have to schedule in so much food)

Please let me know if you manage to find a happy medium (or median ;)) a Protein Mock Danish would be most welcome!

Nat

Karen
Mon, Jan-07-02, 14:15
I'd appreciate any suggestions for adding tastiness, because the protein powder killed all the yummy taste -- again, it doesn't taste BAD, it just tastes BLAND, it needs something, anything. Every good 'bread' spice I think of -- Rye, caraway -- is a seed! Grains, oh no!

PJ, grains are different from seeds. You don't have to worry about them in the same way. What about salt? It works wonders for blandness. Ground flax seed for texture? It sounds like it would make a great cheese "bread" with some sharp cheddar mixed in.

Karen

donnaj
Mon, Jan-07-02, 17:26
Nat,
Just wanted you to know that other lo carb are raving over your recipe on the other boards. I am waiting to have my for a treat the day after induction in four days :daze:
Have a great lo carb evening. :wave:

fern2340
Tue, Jan-08-02, 20:45
I made two of these tonight, one for Dan and one for myself. I took the original recipe and left out the lemon and when it came out of the microwave, I put a pat of butter on top and sprinkled cinnamon on top too. I LOVE IT!!!! I have a feeling I am already addicted. I am going to try the cocoa tomorrow and once I buy my syrups, I am going to try them too!

Great recipe!
Linda

donnaj
Wed, Jan-09-02, 05:41
Linda,
I can't wait to try it. I have 2 days to go until I finsh induction and that will be my rewards. I can't wait.
Have a great low carb day. :wave:

sammiejam
Wed, Jan-16-02, 22:08
i read the accidental bread recipe and had to try it IMMEDIATLY.

so have just made my first "loaf"

i put salt, pepper, grated cheese and italian mixed herbs. It is cooling as we speak and smells great. Not soyish at all.

i put a little cream in the mixture as it seemed to doughy and that did the trick. What a fantastic discovery this is PJ !!!!!

hats off to you :Party: :cheer:

PJ in Miam
Wed, Jan-16-02, 22:17
I tried to send you a private message, but this forum still tells me I don't have authorization to do that...

Please let me know how it goes. I got sidetracked, forgot about the bread until it turned green, then had to toss it. I am getting ready to try something again tomorrow, and I'd love some feedback on how yours went!

PJ

sammiejam
Wed, Jan-16-02, 22:31
hi pj

no doubt about it... it is BREAD !!!!!!!!!

BREAD
BREAD
BREAD!!!!!!

it has cooled down enough to eat and it tastes just like herb bread. I put butter on it and had a slice. It was so breadish that i got a shock!! i even think it will be toastable.

i used natural flavor soy protein powder. I will put a little chopped onion and bacon in it next time as well. Let me know how you get on with yours if you decide to make it.

as i said before
you are one smart cookie ( a low carb one of course)

PJ in Miam
Wed, Jan-16-02, 22:43
aw shucks. Beginner's luck. I was trying for a mock danish after all, with protein, I just got a hopelessly wrong result, which struck me as having real potential! I will try this tomorrow, with the herb seasonings as you suggest, and see how it works out. I have a slightly-naughty (but still within plan in moderation) garlic-cheese "toastez" spread that I would just oooooze with joy if I could have once in awhile... but I gotta have something to spread it on! And buying the (frankly, icky) low-carb loaves could make anybody broke. So this is a good find!

Regards,
PJ

P.S. By the way, according to your stats, your goal is to weigh 60 pounds?! So.... you're not like a typing sheepdog or anything right? :)

sammiejam
Thu, Jan-17-02, 01:01
hehehehehehehehe

kilograms!!!! 2.2pounds=1kg

but i have a sheepdog. His name is Jett and he is a black kelpie. He is very smart but i dont think he can type.

donnaj
Thu, Jan-17-02, 07:38
Sammie,
Could you send me the recipe. It sounds wonderful. I would love to have bread once in a while. :wave:

Mindyd
Thu, Jan-17-02, 07:47
Please post it here - I tried to figure it out by going back over this thread (which I've been following) but somewhere the actual mixture you're using gets lost...... :cry:

I might go to the health food store at lunchtime to buy some soy protein powder....hopefully GNC will have it!

donnaj
Thu, Jan-17-02, 11:45
Mind,
I go to South Point ohio and they do carry it but Walmart did have it cheaper. I would also like the recipe. :wave:

PJ in Miam
Thu, Jan-17-02, 12:46
Most people I've talked with think Soy protein is yucky... and it's amazing hers turned out so well! The taste of the protein powder is pretty critical for anything you make with it. Some say eggwhite or whey is best for taste, but I think it depends entirely on the brand to be honest, there are brands that are decent or terrible for every type. Try searching on this board and at the eatprotein.com board on 'protein powder', there is a lot of discussion about it.
Best regards,
PJ

sammiejam
Thu, Jan-17-02, 16:08
actually the "bread" has a very muffin like consistancy but it is still nice.

the protein powder i used has virtually no taste at all and i put heaps of herbs in it override any lingering taste ( i loath and detest anything soy) I use Life brand soy protein powder, it says natural on the container as opposed to vanilla etc

PJ'S ACCIDENTAL HERB BREAD

200g cream cheese (soften in micro for 20 secs)
2 eggs
beat until well no lumps
1tbs olive oil
1tsp salt
pepper to taste
chopped onion
mixed italian herbs
big handful of grated cheese
enough soy protein to make a dough
(i made the dough a little to stiff do i added some cream)
put in a small square container to imitate a loaf (there is not alot of mixture here so a small one is the best)
microwave for 4 mins or so. Mine looked slightly gluggy in the middle but after standing for about 2 mins that went.

i thinly sliced it, toasted it and had it with scrambled eggs- it was good.

i made mine quite herby as i was scared of any soy taste at all but just do the herbs as you like them in meat sauce.

danume
Thu, Jan-17-02, 16:26
Mindyd................have you tried looking at a Fred Meyers.............they carry great stuff in bulk that would otherwise cost an arm and a leg... :p

:wave: Marcie

donnaj
Thu, Jan-17-02, 19:59
Sammie,
I copied and pasted and printed it out. Thanks, I will give it a try. I do miss my toast in the morning. :wave:

thin2be
Sun, Jan-20-02, 10:33
WOW! I finally tried the mock danish. What was I waiting for???? Hat's off to Nat for introducing the fabulous treat! I made mine with the cinnamon and then 1/2 way through added s.f strawberry preserves and butter. again, WOW!
Can't wait to try the other variations.
Lisa

Mindyd
Sun, Jan-20-02, 16:56
Marcie,

Thanks for trying, but we don't have any of those around here...I don't know of any place for bulk stuff like that in my area....oh well.

Haven't tried the "bread" yet - haven't had time!

Mindy

PJ in Miam
Sun, Jan-20-02, 17:08
I can't figure it out. My 'accidental bread', initially, tasted rather icky/bland but I figured with herbs it'd work.

Her revision worked for her; the primary difference is she added herbs, some oil, and 'enough soy protein powder to make a dough' and I'd added just 1/4c whey powder.

Last night I tried her revised version, except I quit after 3/4c whey protein powder, even though it wasn't doughy. And I added super-fine-shredded parmesan and finely chopped pepperoni.

I sliced it, put lots of butter on it and toasted it in the broiler.

It was revolting. Honestly I don't think it tasted any better this time than it did the first time I made it.

I am wondering if this is my protein powder... or what.

PJ

sammiejam
Sun, Jan-20-02, 17:45
i am suprised!!!

my soy powder has virtually no taste so i guess that made a diference.(i used about 3tbs i think)

i did put in alot of herbs though and extra tasty cheese,

maybe my taste buds have become used to weird tasting food....

PJ in Miam
Sun, Jan-20-02, 18:17
Three TBS?! I used 3/4 cup and it was STILL nowhere near being of "doughy" consistency as you described. I get the feeling we are lost in our communication somewhere. How much cheese did you use?

PJ

Scottty
Mon, Feb-25-02, 11:59
I just found this recipe recently. OMG!!! It's wonderful!!

I absolutely love the cinnamon version!

Nat, thanks so much for posting this recipe.

:wave: :wave: :wave:

oregonmom
Fri, Mar-01-02, 18:25
I wonder how the accidental bread would taste made with ground flax seed. (Flax seed flour). I'll check back after I try it.

clwydd
Fri, Mar-01-02, 19:49
I just discovered this, too, so I've been playing with it a bit. I mixed about a Tbsp of hazelnut butter with a tsp of cocoa powder and some liquid Sugar Twin and nuked it so it was spreadable. I made the danish without the flavouring, but I added a little very finely grated lemon rind and cooked it for 1 1/2 minutes, spread on the hazelnut stuff and cooked it for another 1/2 minute.

It definitely has potential. It needs a little less cocoa, and I have to work out the sweeteners (too lazy to mix them). I counted the hazelnut butter as 1/2 oz of hazelnuts (my next investment is in a decent set of kitchen scales)--2.5 g carbs less 1.3 g fibre. The cocoa is 1 g carbs less .5 g fibre, so it added less than 2 g of carbs to the regular version.

Susan

Karla
Fri, Mar-08-02, 14:09
Wow! I just had two of the mock danish lunch and were they great! I mixed a little cinnamon in with everything else, then added butter and a little cinnamon mixed with a little Splenda on top halfway through cooking.

Thanks, Natasha, for posting this recipe. I can't wait to make some for breakfast tomorrow; I think DH will love it too. We have eggs most days, with bacon or ham or sausage or as omelets with mushrooms or vegetables. Sometimes we have steak or pork cutlets, and once in a while I make my LC amended Swedish pancakes, but this will really help alleviate the occasional boredom.

Mindyd
Fri, Mar-08-02, 14:19
Karla,

Please do explain (and give recipe) for LC amended Swedish pancakes - I need something else for breakfast......help!!!!!

Mindy

Karla
Fri, Mar-08-02, 14:45
Mindy,

These are delicious, if a bit tricky to turn, but they do make a great change from the eternal egg, although they are lower in carbs to begin with because they have a little flour and a lot of egg.

This is the whole recipe, which will serve 4; I cut it in half for DH and I.

1/2 cup oat flour (24 g carbs)
1-1/2 cups light cream (13.2)
3 eggs (1.8)
3 T. butter, melted

Mix the flour with half the cream until smooth, then add the remaining ingredients. Heat a griddle or shallow frying pan over medium high heat. Use a 1/4 cup measure to pour the batter onto the griddle. I hold the pan in my right hand and pour with my left, swirling the pan in a circle to spread the batter out into a large, thin pancake. This isn't as hard as it sounds, you just need to practice. Cook for about a minute, then turn the pancake (a long, thin spatula placed about a third of the way from one side works best) and cook for another 30 seconds. Fold into quarters and keep in a low oven until they are all done.

We eat them with lc "maple" syrup made with Mapleine, Splenda, water and something called NotSugar that thickens it slightly. I did read somewhere in here about using guar gum and the blender, so I have to try that to thicken it a bit.

My DH, being in maintenance, also rolls lc jam inside the pancakes. I just found a pectin (Universal Pomona) that doesn't contain any sugar or carbs and also will gel without sugar, so I will try that next.

Karla

Karla
Fri, Mar-08-02, 14:48
Oops, I forgot to add that the total carb count for the recipe is 39, or 9.75 per person.

Karla

donnaj
Fri, Mar-08-02, 16:49
Karla,
Thanks for the recipes. It really sounds great. I think I will add some blue berry flavoring and have blue berry pancakes for breakfast tomorrow. I made my syrup with mapleine and splenda and then I add butter . It helps to make it thicker. Thanks again.
Donna :wave:

adnil53
Wed, Apr-10-02, 13:58
Love the Mock Danish :rheart: I made it with 3 oz. of regular cream cheese and liquid sweetener, it was fabulous! I ate THREE of them, gave me a moment of fright when I say the calorie count, but then remembered, that's not a problem...lol I think I like them best cold. Thanks for such a wonderful recipe! :bhug:

MistyBee
Sat, Apr-27-02, 23:09
Originally posted by r.mines
I tried it with quark instead of cream cheese (trying to cut down on dairy fat). It was yummy - more like custard than anything else. I used cinnamon and Splenda. It'd be great spooned warm over berries, or for those days when you're not feeling well and want something warm, eggy, and soothing.

Rachel

What is quark?
Thanks

:daze:
-misty

phonemarsh
Mon, Apr-29-02, 20:32
OMG..... I can't believe I have existed on Low Carb without this receipe.

MistyBee
Fri, May-10-02, 21:43
I had a day today where I hadn't gotten enough calories nor carbs and i wasn't hungry so I tempted myself with a Chocolate Mock Danish with an extra egg - and now my caloires are much closer, and my carbs are right on...

Phew!

Thanks, y'all!!

-Misty

onward and downward!

hymntonink
Sat, May-18-02, 23:08
Throwing in my 2 cents as I eat this treat for the first time. Its the exact consistency of scrambled eggs. Its not all that great. I made it exact but added suggested butter and cinnamon. Is it supposed to be like sweet scrambled eggs?

froedrich
Sun, May-19-02, 02:57
I had similar results, but just figured I had messed up, or perhaps was mirowave impaired (never had what you would call "great success" with egg recipes in the microwave). Maybe it is an aquired taste....

MistyBee
Sun, May-19-02, 08:36
I like to fry mine in a small nonstick frypan.... It is like an enormous pancake...

-m-

CHRIS BRAY
Wed, May-29-02, 09:07
Quark

Definition: [qwark] A soft, unripened cheese with the texture and flavor of sour cream, Quark comes in two versions--lowfat and nonfat. Though the calories are the same (35 per ounce), the texture of lowfat Quark is richer than that of lowfat sour cream. It has a milder flavor and richer texture than lowfat yogurt.

dayspring
Fri, Jun-14-02, 20:42
the whole time i was making this, i kept saying to myself, this is going to taste disgusting. i have never been one to like custard or foods with that consistency, but, i was game.

i made mine with cinnamon instead of lemon concentrate. it did smell wonderful while it was cooking. when the microwave went off, i pulled it out, looked at it and thought, ewww. but i tasted it anyway, and wow, it tasted pretty good.

i will be adding the mock danish to my recipe box.

thanks all.

tina

donnaj
Mon, Jun-17-02, 06:39
I had the same reaction when I first make mine. I now like to experiment but my favorite is black walnut. I make the mock danish omit the lemon and use black walnut flavoring and 1/4 cup of chopped black walnut and nuke for 1 1/2 minutes and put low carb syrup on top. Hope you have a great low carb day feel with love and joy.

cosmicv
Mon, Jun-17-02, 17:43
I just tried this

1 Egg
2oz Cream Cheeze
1 teaspoon of ProFormix CarboLite "Zero Carb Chocolate Bake Mix"
1 teaspoon of Splenda

Comes out like a little cake, we added
Walden Farms - Calorie Free (and carb free!) Chocolate Syrup
on top. MMMMM! All it was missing was a little birthday candle.

CosmicV

Daisy0816
Mon, Jun-24-02, 15:27
All I can say about this stuff is

YUM!!!!!

I read the recipe this morning and tried it this afternoon for a quick snack, and boy o boy was it good! I made it with the cheese, egg and vanilla. I did not use the lemon. I wanted to try the cinnamon but didn't have any that didn't already have sugar in it! drat!

Thanks for sharing this one, it's delish!

:daizy: Daisy

Zebidee
Tue, Jun-25-02, 22:35
Oh BLAST the lot of you!

Now I just have to get out of my comfy PJs, get dressed and go to the shop for some ingredients and cooking containers to make Mock Danish!!!

What have you DONE to me??? Sob! Splutter!

Zebidee :wave:

PS: I'll report back soon with my verdict. :p

Zebidee
Wed, Jun-26-02, 00:05
Yummmmmm!

I tried the cinnamon one first (I was a little heavy handed with the cinnamon though) and then tried a jam one for good measure, even better!

Tomorrow (I think I should leave it at two for today) I'm going to try adding some finely chopped low-carb chocolate and see what that's like.

At LAST something else for brekkie besides bacon and bloomin' eggs!

Thanks guys and thanks Nat for a great and EASY recipe!

Zebidee :wave:

Tanyaskees
Thu, Jun-27-02, 16:39
OMG.....I just made the mock danish and it is wonderful....MMMMMMMMMM. For those who have not tried it yet, it is the best thing I put in my mouth in a long time. I do have a quistion.......HOW DO YOU STOP JUST AT ONE ??????????

:yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

Atriana
Thu, Jun-27-02, 16:54
They can be quite addicting!
Especially when you try all the different varieties.

chbbybnny
Sat, Jun-29-02, 13:47
Ok, I am going to go make this right now. I have been reading this thread thinking how gross :lol: this sounded, but then I figured there has only been like 5 not so good reviews out of 10 pages, so it can't be all that terrible. I am going to make the original recipe, no lemon (all I have is vanilla) and with cinnamon and butter, I will let you know :)

chbbybnny
Sat, Jun-29-02, 14:00
Ok, this is very interesting!! Not bad though. Seems like a great base for a million different things. I think next time I am going to buy unsalted butter for it. Will be keeping this recipe!! Love the little cheese pockets! Nat, this is a great recipe thanks for posting it!! :)

Kristine
Sun, Jul-07-02, 11:29
Hey all,

Just in case there are other people left in the free world who don't have a microwave ;) , I baked the original recipe in a little muffin tin (enough for two) at 300F for about 30 min - 'till the edges just started to brown - and it came out quite nice. L'il extra cream cheese on top, and voila: junk food that isn't.

Louloo
Sat, Jul-13-02, 20:04
I have this most mornings for breakfast.

Normally with SF jam or lemon flavouring.

Yummy

And BTW it is normally a double

paige17257
Fri, Jul-19-02, 16:30
just thought that i would add my experience. i nuked this. i didnt care for the consistency, and it tasted way too eggy for me. i think next time, i will decrease to one egg,and fry it. i may also try an egg substitute. maybe it wont be as eggy tasting? i think the chocolate version may be the one for me,,, it looks to have more cream cheese and less egg, so this looks better. all and all, though its not bad, i just have trouble sometimes, with the egg taste. i am currently making a cheesecake with splenda, hope its good!!!
ttyl,
paige17257

jaykay
Sat, Jul-20-02, 06:31
I've just found this thread - takes me a while to catch on sometimes! Got sad cos I've just given up dairy, to shift weight - which is working. but the recipe says cream cheese, so that was out.
Well, I thought I'd try other things instead of the cream cheese.

Tofu - forget about it, I fed it to the dogs, who liked it, but then they like Pedigree Chum too, lol.

Creamed coconut - mmmmm, just eaten my second one.

Recipe:
1 egg
I oz creamed coconut - mash into egg with fork
1 little Splenda packet
half a teaspoon cocoa

Now whisk together so its a bit fluffy
Microwave (750W) for about 1.5 minutes.

Just plugged it into Fitday - it turns out it is:
Calories - 225
Fat - 20
Carb - 7 (4 fibre)
Protein - 7

Have been following the debate about coconut oil too, so as long as heating it doesn't damage the coconut oil, this might up my metabolic rate too.

Used to make a chocolate/coconut cake for the hills in pre-LC days, maybe this could be adapted - time for some more experiments!
Jay :wave:

skyspinner
Fri, Aug-02-02, 17:04
Oooooh, I had this Mock Danish for brekkie this AM...yummers!!! I put a half teaspoon apricot jam on top after baking for about 2 carbs...

This could stand in for any kind of cake for your fav topping, too. I'm thinking strawberry shortcake w/ lots of whipped cream.

I'm gonna try it w/ 3-4 fresh berries on top before microwaving...should be delish! Thanks for the recipe.

skyspinner
Fri, Aug-02-02, 17:08
Originally posted by cori
Mock Danishes! [snip]My 2yo son already loves them... "Bite, bite???", he says. Thanks for the great recipe Nat!

Awww, isn't he a bright little face in your picture? So cute!!!

skyspinner
Fri, Aug-02-02, 19:34
Originally posted by Sharon
Hi, I've posted the Mock Danish Recipe in the Member's Recipe Section. I included (hopefully all), your variations and hints for the recipe.

If you come up with more, we can always add Mock Danish Recipe Variations, so please continue to post ideas as you come up with news ones.

This is our first recipe posted where we've had such a great group effort.

Next up is Doreen's Hash Brown Recipe along with all your variations. (hopefully in the next couple days)

I have not as yet made it all the way through this thread, so hope I'm not repeating, but while at the grocery today I got some fresh ginger root, and am going to have a go at "gingerbread"! It'll be sorta pale gingerbread, but the taste should be very good. :thup:

Natrushka
Fri, Aug-02-02, 21:46
Ginger sounds interesting!

I've been throwing a TBSP of peanut butter in with the cream cheese to nuke it and then mixing in all the other ingredients - makes for a nice variation. I've also started using 3 oz of cream cheese :yum:

Nat

skyspinner
Sat, Aug-03-02, 11:57
I made this w/ frozen whole strawberrie for brekkie this AM...everybody liked it! The consistency was a bit watery around the berries, though, so I think I would either use fresh berries next time, or maybe mash the frozen ones up a bit.

I quite feel as if I've died and gone to heaven w/ this recipe!!! :D

Soteria
Sat, Aug-03-02, 12:04
Ummm, what is a quark? Isn't that the Ferenghi on Deep Space Nine??

Speaking of custard, anyone have a good egg custard recipe? That's what I've got a hankering for lately...

skyspinner
Sat, Aug-03-02, 12:28
Quark is a creamy cheese-like stuff you buy in the grocery store near where cream cheese and sour cream are kept. I have heard that it's a non-dairy product, but I've never used it. Supposed to be good!

Here is a recipe for flan from Dr. Atkin's second edition, w/ a few extra explanations from me:

4 servings

5 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup water
5 packets of artificial sweetener that will stand up to heat
1 capful (about 1/2 tsp, I think) almond extract
Dash nutmeg or cinnamon

* Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
* Whip first five ingredients in blender for 3 to 4 minutes.
* Pour into large baking dish or individual dishes
* Sprinkle top with nutmeg or cinnamon.
* In oven, set in larger pan half-filled with hot water.
* Bake for 40 minutes or until set.

Test for done by inserting clean table knife into center of flan. If knife comes out milky, continue baking a few minutes longer. When knife comes out clean, it's done. Let cool before dishing up to avoid watery custard.

You can use any flavouring extract as desired.

donnaj
Sun, Aug-04-02, 07:45
Thanks for the custard recipe. It really sounds great. I having been wanting custard for a while. Wonder if this could be used for a pie filling. Thanks again.

skyspinner
Sun, Aug-04-02, 11:47
Originally posted by skyspinner

I [snip] am going to have a go at "gingerbread"! It'll be sorta pale gingerbread, but the taste should be very good. :thup:

It was good! I used about an inch of ginger root, grated it carefully and removed all the fibres I could, and mixed it in w/ the rest. Could have used twice as much for stronger flavour.

I also decided to try a bit of allspice. "A bit" is not what I used! I was shaking it out of my spice jar, it didn't come so I whacked it on the bottom, thinking the jar was nearly empty. Got about a TABLESPOON!!! Cost me 4 carbs, dangit.

I learned though, that the allspice really wasn't necessary. It really didn't add that much to the taste or the colour, even though I really overdid it! So I'll try my "gingerbread" again, next time w/ whipped cream and no allspice. :D

aulow
Sat, Aug-10-02, 18:15
Thanks Natrushka!

These mock danish are going to give me a little extra mojo in the morning. They're great!!!

SummerYet
Wed, Aug-14-02, 08:02
Well I finally tried it today!! Yummmmmmmy new breakfast. I was thinking about making them ahead of time, so in the morning before work I can just pop it in the microwave!
The 1st one I tried was with the cinnamon and butter. It was a little too much cinnamon and a little salty for me. The second one I only used a sprinkling of cinnamon and SF strawberry jelly...WOW!
I think I will like it even more if I increase the cream cheese...cocoa and PB will be tomorrows adventure...or later's...depending on how long I can resist! LOL
Well along with everyone else Nat...I will add my thanks! :clap:
~Michelle :sunny:

SummerYet
Wed, Aug-14-02, 08:26
Oh boy...just went on FitDay to put my info in...didn't realize the jelly had 11 g of carbs! Ack! Well I get 40 for the day, but I am not supposed to go over 10 in a meal...I will be fine I know...but that was a shocker b/c I have been trying to stay as LC as I can.
Whew!
~Michelle :sunny:

cre8tivgrl
Thu, Aug-15-02, 14:21
I've died and gone to heaven!!!!!!!

I tried the original and now can't wait to try all the varieties!! My six year old loves it too!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :roll:

delilah
Sat, Aug-17-02, 14:39
oh YUM! I made it with the philly light and 3 packages of splenda, with a tsp of sugar free seedless blackberry jam.

Speaking of those jams, my label lists 5g of carbs per Tbps, but only 10 calories. Since 1g of carb=4 calories, I'm assuming it should be 20 calories, or fewer carbs. Has anyone else run into this?

I think I should make something else for lunch before I blow my whole carb allotment on mock danish!! :D

cheez whiz
Sun, Sep-01-02, 08:05
Love this danish!!!

misschris
Mon, Sep-09-02, 19:11
Okay, after reading this thread... is there anyone that could resist????? So, I liked the idea of chocolate... had no vanilla, so I used 1 tsp of almond extract, 1 tsp of cocoa, 4oz of cream cheese (lite), 1 egg and 1 tsp of splenda. I split the recipe in half and did half in the micro and half in mini muffin tins (with paper cups)... i also topped them with crushed macadamia nuts. Baked in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes... perfect. Micro, 2 minutes covered in tupperware, PERFECT. I cannot believe the great consistency of these! They are really like eating a "bready" type product! I held my microwaved one in my hands and ate it like a piece of pizza! It slid right out of the dish! I will add a little more splenda next time and do half vanilla/half almond extract. These are fantastic! I also added a slight amount of LF butter on some and a slight amount of whipped topping (from the can) on some... both are excellent! Oh wow, how about a little hazelnut twist on these? These are simply sinful!!!! So many possibilities... thank you guys!

cllrrl123
Wed, Sep-18-02, 10:44
This is the Best! It has really helpped since returning to a LC Lifestyle. I remember eating this a while back and it is really good with a little almond extract and whipped cream sweetened with splendra. It is a wonderful dessert! or how about a little cherry extract. I love it!

cre8tivgrl
Wed, Sep-18-02, 13:17
Okay, I ventured out and tried a salty variation. I used cream cheese, egg, garlic powder and microwaved it. Then topped it with a taco burger (hamburger, cheese, taco seasoning). Topped it all with a little salsa.

It was... interesting. It tasted good and was satisfying. I guess my reservations with it was the strange combination of ingredients.

But again, yummy. A nice, different meal.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

MelaNY
Mon, Sep-23-02, 15:43
I am so glad i found this thread... i would have never thought of mixing cream cheese with and egg and then microwaving it into something so delicious!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS MY FAVORITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YUM YUM YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:yum: :yum: :yum:

THank you so much for posting this recipe!

misschris
Mon, Sep-23-02, 19:31
I love making this and coming up with new additions!!! Tonight I did the following...

3Tblsp LF Cream Cheese (3g)
1 Egg beaten (1g)
1/2 tsp Vanilla (.5g)
1/2 tsp Hazelnut Atkins Syrup (0g-.5g)
1 Tblsp Splenda (<1g)
Pecan Mix (1-2g)

I "sugared" some pecans in some butter (well, I can't believe it's not light...LOL) and some splenda.... cooked until crisp and sugared. Put at the bottom of the tupperware dish and then poured the cheese mixture over top. Topped with a dash of splenda/cinnamon.... 2 min covered in micro.. yummy!!!!! Like Pecan pie!!!!!!!

Daisy0816
Sun, Oct-06-02, 12:55
Hello Danish Fans!

I need some help.

I want to enter the mock danish into the fitday food list, but I don't have the totals. I used to have a calculator program on my computer but hubby wiped the disk clean and forgot to save that one...erg!

Anyway...does anyone have the totals for the danish done with one egg, 2 oz cream cheese, cinnamon, vanilla, and two packets of Splenda?

Any help would be appreciated. I've just been entering it in by hand.

Thanks!

Daisy

:daizy:

Daisy0816
Sun, Oct-06-02, 20:25
Figured it out....nevermind........:blush:

Daisy

:daizy:

nancy30
Sat, Oct-12-02, 18:08
Oh thank you so much, These sound fabulous and theres so many different ways to fix it!! Thanks again can't wait to give these a try! :daze:

montymoo
Sun, Oct-13-02, 18:00
This was delicious! It was like a party in my mouth! :wiggle:
I need to get some DaVinci syrups for stuff like this!

Thanks to all who go the extra mile to make up & post these recipes!

Lisa

Kemss
Wed, Oct-16-02, 09:52
Absolutely WONDERFUL ! :thup: I made mine with nutmeg and my sister used pumpkin pie seasonings.... leave cream cheese nice and lumpy so the pockets of cheese are creamy after you cook it.

I am using this as my treat for the day. Thanks for sharing!

mygrammyb
Sun, Nov-03-02, 17:03
I am wondering what the quake (did I spell it right?) that replaces the cream cheese is. I have just began this WOE and haven't heard of this. I appreciate reading all you all's enthusiam of the LD WOL Thanks!

CharM
Tue, Nov-26-02, 23:08
Thank you for such a "great" treat.

I read through all the postings, and made one tonight ***yum***

I used:

2 oz Cream Cheese
1 egg
1 T SF Vanilla Flavoring syrup (no carbs)

Microwaved for 2 minutes (covered)

When it came out - I poured about 1 T of Caramel SF Flavoring over the top.

The only carbs in this version come from the Cream Cheese and the egg - would I be safe in saying 3 carbs?

Again - thanks, I will be sharing this recipes with my LC friends :clap:

bassetlove
Tue, Dec-10-02, 12:46
I made the Mock Danish for breakfast this AM, and it's really great. But one question. The recipe calls for 1 Tablespoon of Splenda. I use the Splenda that comes in the little packets. I used two of these, which made a VERY sweet mock danish, and that still wasn't a full TB. Does the recipe actually mean what I've heard referred to as "granular" Splenda?

Also, I'm assuming Lemon concentrate is the stuff in bottles, not Lemon Extract, right?

Anyway, it was delish, although next time I'll just use one packet of Splenda, I think!

Last night, I made Brussels Sprouts with Cream Cheese and Nutmeg and Chicken with Bacon, Cream and Thyme, both from Karen's Recipes. WOW! Now this is a WOL!

Talon
Fri, Dec-13-02, 13:29
I believe one packet of Splenda is equal to two teaspoons of sugar... and granular or "pourable" Splenda is 1 teaspoon splenda = 1 teaspoon sugar.

bassetlove
Fri, Dec-13-02, 14:33
Thanks, Talon! In subsequent Mock Danishs, I've cut back to about a half a packet of Splenda and it has worked much better!

TeriDoodle
Fri, Dec-13-02, 15:29
Here's a hint on the mock danish for you, too...... instead of putting the splenda in before you cook, sprinkle it on top afterwards.... it eliminates any bitter taste created by the heat of cooking.

I make my mocks with mapel extract and cinnammon, with SF (splenda) Maple syrup on top!! YUMMY

Carol CA
Fri, Dec-13-02, 15:33
Ohhhh! Where can I find this recipe??? Sounds like a must-try!
:wave:

bassetlove
Fri, Dec-13-02, 15:47
The recipe, and follow ups from folks who have made various variations, is right on this site!

Try: www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/breakfast115.html

Carol CA
Fri, Dec-13-02, 15:55
Fabulous! Thank you! I'm hoping to find the Mock French Toast there, too! Also... I have a To-Die-For Chocolate pie that I'd like to post. It is EASY and HEAVENLY! Thanks again...
http://mswrite.home.mindspring.com/xmas/hollyberries2.gif

SupahSteph
Thu, Dec-26-02, 18:57
Ok, I tried this yesterday (Christmas breakfast!). It looked HORRIBLE!! :lol: I tell you... but the taste is divine!

I love the little pockets of warm cream cheese. I don't know how anyone can eat this with their hands though... mine is gooey with loads of cheese. I am not able to mix it up very well as it is... so it kinda just happens and tastes wonderful!

I just wish it looked a little prettier! :) Maybe then I could get the bf to try it.... but so far, he stands far awy from my little shriveled brown and white eggy cinnamony gooey thing covered in butter. :D

Natrushka
Thu, Dec-26-02, 21:43
*lol* Steph, my BF made that face when I first introduced him to Mock Danishes. Now he eats them a few times a week. He's even introduced his mom to them (and she's still convinced we're going to die of high cholesterol ;) )

Nat

pjl44
Mon, Dec-30-02, 21:20
I've read the many variations of the Mock Danish and would love to try it!!! Is it allowed on Induction? Please say yes!!!!

Rosebud
Mon, Dec-30-02, 21:41
Hi there Pjl,

Have you checked the ingredients against the lists of food allowed on Induction? If they are there (and from memory I think they are - but you need to check), then no problem. Just make sure you count up the carbs.

Cheers!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Nems
Sun, Jan-05-03, 23:02
Finally tried these and WOW! They are so yummy :yum:

I like mine with cinammon. Can't believe I waited so long! So good I made two today!

thanks a bunch! :hyper:

slawrie
Sat, Jan-11-03, 16:13
I want to make this dish. Mock Danish. It sounds so good. I want it , I need it, I must have it......but How Many Carbs does one serving have? I am still on Induction. Please reply to my journal. In the R & S. Section. slawrie. (Chrysalis) I receive mail coming in on Outlook express, but when I click on the thread nothing happens so.......I never know where my mail is. Thx. Suzanne Someone please reply...I'm drooling. (not kidding)

Natrushka
Sat, Jan-11-03, 22:38
Suzanne, I replied with a link to this recipe. If you see this post, the carb count for the original recipe is on the second page of this thread.

Hope you like the Mock Danish!
Nat

theresa113
Sat, Jan-11-03, 23:40
:thup: WOW! I just made one for the first time. Here is what i used:

2 OZ of Cream Cheese
1 Large egg
3 pkgs of Splenda
A splash of vanilla
A few drops of blueberry essence
2 shakes of pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and allspice)

WOW, this was good. Tasted like a blueberry muffin thingy. I will be making these often. I will try in the morning a savory version. Thanks so much Nat for introducing the recipe. Thanks to everyone else for making this such an a great read... you all have convinced me!

:dazzle:

smiley
Tue, Jan-14-03, 10:38
Lets get real here for a minute.......don't mean to criticize but

I don't know about anyone else but I for one do not have the time to 1. shop for 2. and prepare "gourmet meals".

My children, my husband and my family come way before taking away that much time to prepare these meals

Give me recipes I can relate to

Sorry, let me re-phrase that,

I was looking up dinner ideas in the recipe corner
I don't have time for 3-5 step meals
(especially ones that my family will look at and say eww!

I need stuff that resembles food they are used to and is also okay for me

Otherwise, I am facing making 2 meals

Lisa N
Tue, Jan-14-03, 15:48
What's gourmet about a mock danish? They take less than 5 minutes to prepare and use very basic ingredients; cream cheese, egg and Splenda plus whatever flavoring you happen to like (or none at all, if you prefer).
I also work full time and have two daughters in second grade plus a hungry husband, but I still find time to prepare a tasty meal every night (note I said tasty, not gourmet). It takes no longer to shop for many of these recipes than shopping for any other dish you would want to prepare homemade. Not that I'm cooking chicken thighs with bacon, cream and thyme every night, but on weekends when I have more time, it's a nice change of pace from plain meat.
OTOH, it's not a lot of extra work to add some water to the pan drippings to deglaze the pan, pour in a little heavy cream, add a few shakes of whatever herbs and spices tickle my fancy and simmer for a few minutes to make a sauce for whatever meat I've chosen to prepare for the evening while the vegetable finishes cooking.
There's nothing wrong with keeping your meals simple. There are many recipes in the recipe forum from people who are also probably very busy that are easy and quick to prepare and don't require any strange or fancy ingredients.
If time is in short supply, how about using your crockpot to ease the burden? I find it a great time-saver, especially during the busy school year and it's always nice to come home to the smell of meat cooking and know that most of your work for dinner is already done. :)

Carol CA
Tue, Jan-14-03, 18:07
Well put, Lisa. I read smiley's post this morning... and all I could do was stare at it and say..."Whaaaat?". For sure there's a difference between "gourmet" and "tasty". I'm a lazy cook... but I do enjoy good food. Ha... that's what got me where I am today! I think it would be a great idea to start a thread with nothing but EXCELLENT tried-and-true recipes that are quick and easy to prepare.

Just last night for dinner I adlibbed and threw together an excellent "quiche" using leftover spaghetti-type sauce (browned hamburger with a bit of tomato sauce and spices), frozen broccoli, onions, eggs and cream. Dumped that into a sprayed pie plate... topped it with grated cheese.. and baked it for 35 mins. It was fabulous! I gave some to my neighbor who is also low carbing... and had the rest for lunch today. Quick, easy and pretty damn "gourmet". I think even Martha Stewart would have enjoyed it!

If a dish uses more than two dishes to prepare, I ain't makin' it more than one time! I'm going to start a Word file on my computer... and drop all my Tasty Easy Recipes into it. It's easy to try something once and then forget about it!

smiley
Wed, Jan-15-03, 06:13
I agree a crockpot is very helpful but I am always concerned about leaving it on during the day when I am not home

Are there any web sites that have EASY low carb crockpot recipes that are kid friendly?

Lisa N
Wed, Jan-15-03, 07:01
Carol..

There is a subforum in the recipes area here for quick meals and snacks. Recipes can be rated by the members of the board who have tried them (1 to 5 stars), so you can see at a glance which recipes are the best liked.
I love to cook and for me, that's how I show my love for my family. It's also had the nice effect of getting my daughters interested in how I do things in the kitchen and I get questions like "what did you do to make this meat taste so good?" and "can you show me how to do that?" already. Cooking doesn't have to take time away from your kids; get them involved! My plan is that by the time that they are 12 or 13, they will each take a turn making dinner for the family one night a week so they can practice what they are learning. I also plan to show them how to plan meals, shop for the ingredients and find the best bargains so that by the time they go off to college they know how to do more than boil macaroni.
I have a recipe file program on my computer and when I find a really good low carb recipe, I copy it and put it in my "low carb recipes file" for later reference; it gets fuller every week. I also have 4 low carb cookbooks that I get ideas from. Variety is the spice of life! :)

Lisa N
Wed, Jan-15-03, 07:09
Smiley...

You can try doing a search on this website for crock pot recipes by using the search function at the top right side of the page, or you can try adapting your own recipes to be low carb by leaving out the high carb ingredients and substituting lower carb ones that you know your family will like. Mostly, I just use mine to roast inexpensive cuts of meat so that they are tender and juicy when they are done; meat, broth and seasonings keep it simple.
I know a lot of people are nervous about leaving an appliance running all day when they are not there, but statistically there are very few fires caused by crock pots unless they are misused or in poor working condition. They're designed to be safely left unattended. Many of the newer crock pots even have features that allow you to set them to turn off after a set number of hours or go from cook mode to keep warm mode after a certain number of hours.

Carol CA
Wed, Jan-15-03, 12:55
I've found some good ones at lowcarbluxury.com. (http://lowcarbluxury.com/lowcarb-entrees.html)

smiley
Wed, Jan-15-03, 19:03
Thanks for the website

It has wonderful recipes, and uses supplies that I just might have at home ( give or take a few)

I even noticed the Atkins crustless cheesecake

I did make that once

for 8 people with fresh fruit on top

All of them wanted the recipe and had no clue that it was part of my woe te he!!!

Smiley :D
ps: what is a whoosh??(fairy?)

wcollier
Thu, Jan-16-03, 15:59
I thought that this recipe (with all its variations) would be added to the Member's recipe area. I looked through desserts and snacks but didn't find it.

The server's very slow today so I'll admit I've lost my patience to search any more. But if anyone can tell me where it is so I don't have to print out 7 pages of threads, I'd really appreciate it.

wcollier
Thu, Jan-16-03, 16:03
Oops, found it under "breakfast".

http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/breakfast115.html

IndyLauri
Sat, Jan-18-03, 08:48
I am a newbie here. I've been browsing for about a week. I made the mock danish for breakfast this morning and OMIGOSH!!
That was delish!!! At first it scared me when I looked at it(LOL), but I put butter and cinnamon on it. YUMMY!!!
Most of the recipes here look really good!
thanks
lauri

Carol CA
Sat, Jan-18-03, 14:19
Hi there, Lauri... and welcome to the forum! You've just happened to find the BEST low-carb support on the web!

I just had a mock danish for breakfast... and I agree... YUMMY! I didn't think about putting butter and cinnamon on it! What a great idea! Tomorrow.

You should think about starting a journal of your own so we can come visit you and see how you're doing. It's a great way to meet folks here. Best of luck to you on your low-carb journey!

IndyLauri
Sun, Jan-19-03, 08:12
Thank you for the welcome! I stole the butter/cinnamon idea from someone who had mentioned it under the "snacks" heading.
Everyone here seems really friendly and supportive
lauri

wcollier
Mon, Jan-20-03, 16:52
You think of the darndest things while lying awake in bed at 4:30 am. I decided to try adding almond flour (aka almond meal/ground almonds) to my mock danish to see if it would give me a firmer texture instead of an eggy texture.

I added 1 T to the recipe, fried it in a small pan (like a pancake), then topped it with butter and cinnamon. It crisped up very nicely. This is the best I've had so far.

I may try adding 2 T tomorrow to see what happens.

Wanda

charlene1
Wed, Jan-22-03, 13:33
I tried the mock danish for the first time this morning and I can't tell you how happy I was with the results. I was so sceptical at first, because I am not really good with recipes sometimes. But this was so simple, even I couldn't screw it up. I made mine with maple extract and topped it with cinnamon and Splenda.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, to whomever came up with that idea!!! :D :D :D

Reena
Fri, Feb-07-03, 06:23
A different twist:

Add some christmas spice and a little extra pinch of cinammon....reminds me of christmas pudding! :yum:

silvergrl
Fri, Feb-07-03, 08:02
I just wanna say I was getting really sick of the breakfasts I had been preparing during induction. I tried the Mock Danish recipe and gotta say I just love it!! There are many ways to make this and I'm trying them all. This makes a lovely breakfast or snack. Thanks to whomever created this recipe! :wave:

ChromeDome
Mon, Feb-17-03, 13:23
Well I just read the entire thread and I think I'm going to try this for breakfast tomorrow. Coming from a large Swedish family though, I have to ask, has anyone found an LC version of Lingonberry preserves or jam? :yum:

Also, the Swedish Pancakes mentioned way back in this thread sound like Platta :yum: :yum: with the exception that platta is made in a cast iron skillet with indentations in it to make the pancakes about 2in in diameter. They are thin and buttery. (And probably a good portion of the reason why I have to loose 100+ pounds now.) :rolleyes:

ChromeDome
Tue, Feb-18-03, 09:45
I think I am doing something wrong in Fitday. I looked at the nutrition info Nat provided earlier in this thread, but when I plug the ingredients into FitDay I'm getting different figures. Here's what Nat posted and what FitDay is telling me. Should I be picking different food descriptions in FitDay?

Nat's Info
Mock Danish
Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 1 serving
Calories 167.76
Calories from Fat 117

Total Fat 13g 20%
Saturated Fat 6.87g 34%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.987g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.28g
Sodium 210mg 9%
Potassium 170mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 4g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Protein 11.43g 23%

My FitDay Entry
1 Large Egg, whole, cooked, NS as to cooking method
.25 cup Cheese, cream
.5 teaspoon Vanilla extract
3 teaspoon Weight Watchers Sweet'ner, Sweet 'n Low, powdered, sugar substitute

The stats I get are:

Total: 328
Fat: 26 237 71%
Sat: 15 131 39%
Poly: 2 16 5%
Mono: 8 73 22%
Carbs: 12 47 14%
Fiber: 0 0 0%
Protein: 11 42 13%
Alcohol: 1 5 2%

The majority of the excess carbs are coming from the sweetner entry. Is Splenda much different from Sweet'N'Low? Does anyone have the nutrition info on Splenda so I can make an entry in my FitDay custom foods?

If that's not it, what am I doing wrong?

theresa113
Tue, Feb-18-03, 17:09
Chrome,

Wish I could help with the fitday thing, but I have no paitence with it. I know I need to learn how to use it but I still haven't dedicated the time.

As far as has anyone found an LC version of Lingonberry preserves or jam ...

Never seen any. However, I buy Steele's jams. They are made with splenda. I get then at my local health food store. So far I have bought raspberry and strawberry. Both are very good. Since they are low carb and are not real sticky and sweet, they king of remind me of Lingonberry (not exact, but same not overly sweet and just real good.)

ChromeDome
Wed, Feb-19-03, 08:03
Well after doing a bit of reading on Splenda's site I determined that 1 teaspoon of Splenda crystals has .5g carbs (2 cal). FitDay's counts for Sweet'N'Low are MUCH higher. This being the case I created an entry in my custom foods for Splenda. Using this the nutritional information I came up with for the Mock Danish base recipe (w/o the lemon) is:

Total: 291
Fat: 23 207 76%
Sat: 14 126 46%
Poly: 1 9 3%
Mono: 2 18 7%
Carbs: 5 20 7%
Fiber: 0 0 0%
Protein: 10 40 15%
Alcohol: 1 7 3%

Hope this helps.

nix
Thu, Feb-20-03, 05:28
Hi! I'm so happy to see "quark" (from r.mines)

we have this in europe too. could someone explain to me what it is really (sort of thick yogurt) what it would be called in the US and if it is atkins induction/owl friendly (i can buy it here with 4 carbs per serving.

thanks!

oakejs
Sat, Feb-22-03, 00:27
I'm actually only on my 4th day of Induction, but this sounds great. I am averagiing about 16 grams of carbs a day, so having a mock danish instead of bacon and eggs shouldn't make me go over. I am planning on staying on induction for a month or two also. I'm just getting tired of bacon and eggs. Do you guys think that it would be okay to have this for breakfast?

theresa113
Sat, Feb-22-03, 06:22
Jason,

Should be no problem as long as you do not over do cheese the rest of the day. :)

Natrushka
Sat, Feb-22-03, 08:18
Originally posted by ChromeDome
If that's not it, what am I doing wrong? Chrome, I haven't made a MD in ages, but I did notice a big difference in the fat grams. I always used the Low Fat Philly Cream cheese - it's acutally lower in carbs than the regular. It would account for some carbs but for a lot of the fat and calorie difference.

I also stopped using Splenda when I made these and moved on to Brown sugar twin (canadian version). It has even fewer carbs.

HTH
Nat

Natrushka
Sat, Feb-22-03, 08:19
oakejs, just be sure to count the cream cheese toward your daily cheese numbers and you'll be fine. Having a Mock Danish in lieu of 3 eggs, 3 slices of bacon and a cup of decaf with whipping cream works out to about the same number of carbs :)

Nat

oakejs
Sat, Feb-22-03, 09:22
Thanks guys :) I'm going to go make one now. :)

I haven't seen brown sugar twin in any of the stores. I'll have to look around more.

Began11903
Sat, Feb-22-03, 23:41
All bow down to thee who invented the Danish to beat all Danishes!!

I think I just had a mouthgasm. :blush:
Elaine

MayLisa
Mon, Mar-03-03, 07:55
Small variations on Mock Danish:

1 jumbo egg
1 tbl half and half
1 tbl cream cheese cut up in small pieces
1 tsp almond flour
1 tsp unsweetened flaked coconut
dash of cinnamon
sweetner to taste

Mix up egg w/half n half, almond flour, coconut, cinnamon, sweetner. Add cut-up cream cheese. Nuke for about 1 minute.

I had this this morning and it was yummy.
The coconut and almond flour add about 25 calories and about one half gram of effective carbs, and they give it a nice texture and flavor.

Sorry if these ingredients have turned up elsewhere in this thread. I didn't have time to read the whole thing before I posted this.

bebe123
Tue, Mar-04-03, 19:29
:roll:

YUMMY!
Great recipe! Thanks to those creative and inventive few who share their rewards with the rest of us!!!
A true treat!

bebe :wave:

AllysonneV
Sat, Mar-15-03, 20:14
Thanks Nat - i read every post and decided to try one - awesome!
mine came out sort of like a souffle...is that right? i was afraid i cooked it too long--brand new MW 1200 watts.

ally

Demi
Mon, Mar-17-03, 17:00
I now substitute mascarpone for the cream cheese when I make a Mock Danish.

I found that using Philly cream cheese (and other similar brands) always produced an MD with a 'salty' taste, which was difficult to disguise even with various lc jams and syrups.

Marscapone seems to give it a much 'sweeter' taste :yum:

cre8tivgrl
Thu, Mar-20-03, 11:43
It's funny that Demi came to post that they were not sweet enough.

I came to post that I forgot the Splenda in mine last night and liked them better.

:lol:

For some reason they reminded me more of a danish where the bread part isn't so sweet. ??? I am going to make a mock cream cheese frosting today to top mine. :yum:

starz918
Fri, Apr-04-03, 18:44
I tried this and it was sooo good! I've had it with cinnamon and butter, tastes just like french toast, my son loved it too... also tried it with SF vermont maple syrup and a tsp of SF jam.. all 3 ways are excellent. They can be addicting I think!

roxie19142
Sun, Apr-06-03, 00:36
I'm new, and this was one of the first receipe's I found-and I have making it ever since. It's like a cheee danish/custard/french toast/cheese cake type thing. Anyway, it's been fun making them for my husband and mother in law every night. ....i have to try the jelly or chocolate thing....but i'm not tellin them, cause they will have me making it for them too.
:D

starz918
Mon, Apr-07-03, 06:38
I added just a drop of heavy cream and a lil sour cream.. it was delish! I used a dab of SF jelly in the center. Kinda tasted like a cheesecake I find I like it without the required amount of splenda also.
Yep yep.. I said they could be addicting.. and they are! :yum:

Lynda
http://www.wtv-zone.com/califPamela/FairyImages2/FaeCrystalBall1.gif
~Starz~

tahoch
Sat, Apr-19-03, 20:53
Sounds wonderful......do you have the recipe?

silvergrl
Sat, Apr-19-03, 21:18
Take 2 ounces of cream cheese and put it in a bowl. Microwave on 40% power for 20 seconds. Add a bit of Splenda and mix. Beat in two eggs, a dash of vanilla and a splash of heavy cream. Nuke on high for two minutes. Top with butter and cinnamon. You could top it with pecans too, if you're not on Induction. This is quite good and if I eat it at 7:00 a.m. it will hold me till Noon!

srd0821
Sat, Apr-19-03, 21:50
made a beeline for the kitchen when I saw this...it is awesome!!! I used 2 tablespoons cream cheese....think it could have been more...but it is soooooo good!

Thanks for sharing!

silvergrl
Sun, Apr-20-03, 07:23
That's the beauty of this recipe is that you can use as little or as much cream cheese as you want. I think the original recipe calls for two oz cream cheese and one egg and boy is it yummy that way for a snack. But I added the extra egg for the protien, making it a breakfast meal instead. You can also add about a teaspoon of cocoa powder and it makes this dense fudgy dish. Anyways, Enjoy! :wave:

TBird710
Tue, Apr-22-03, 04:15
Just started low-carbing. I found this recipe and love it. My boyfriend likes it too, but I think he'll really love it with cocoa. I'll be trying it this am! Thanks :daze:

srd0821
Tue, Apr-22-03, 08:59
You can also add about a teaspoon of cocoa powder and it makes this dense fudgy dish

mmm mmm....guess what I'm having today? lol

2much2g1
Tue, Apr-29-03, 09:51
I am searching for super easy super fast breakfast ideas for my lazy daughter.As quick and easy as this sounds I just know she will tell me she doesnt have time to make it in the morning.If it was already prepared and she just has to eat it I think she might try it...yes she really is that lazy! :daze: ;)

cohenlin
Tue, Apr-29-03, 15:24
The mock danish is what I eat every day for breakfast. It is the best. I will have to try it with coco powder as well.

Kareny
Tue, Apr-29-03, 18:36
Okay, I need new breakfast options and I have all the ingredients for this...

So stupid question, how much is 2 oz. of cream cheese? I have those plastic Philadelphia containers... I guess I could estimate the proportions, but about how many spoonfuls is that?

Can't wait to try this... finally decided to ditch the cereal for breakfast and start making breakfast low-carb, too. And I have instantly concluded that hard-boiled eggs are not an option for me... :)

Rdhead10
Tue, Apr-29-03, 20:16
Does anyone know the carb count for the mock danish? I made it this morning and it was WONDERFUL. I will absolutely fix it again!!!

2much2g1
Wed, Apr-30-03, 10:08
I just came in the door starving and thought of the danish....i plopped some cream ceese in a bowl and nuked it at 40% for 20 seconds.Then i stirred in an egg as best i could and some cinnamon and a sweetener packet.Nuked for 2 minutes at full power and it was great...
I cant imagine how wonderful it must be if you follow the recipe...LOL :p :daze:

nix
Thu, May-08-03, 03:34
Hi everyone, help!
I tried to make the mock danish last night and the result was not good.

Texture: like an overcooked scrambled egg but dry; cream cheese clomped in the middle
taste: bitter
appearance: eggs turned greyish...

i used the recipe and divided it in 2 little bowls.
(1 egg beaten, 1 oz cream cheese (full fat), splash heavy cream, liquid sweetener, splash vanilla)

i divided in 2 little bowls and put in microwave (800 watts) 2 minutes.

cinnamin on top....voila! yuck!

help! i crave sweets

coolazchic
Thu, May-08-03, 06:53
The way I do it is put the cream cheese in the micro for 20 secs first so it gets soft, then add your splenda and vanilla, then I add the egg (1 egg only, 2 is too eggy for me) and a splash of cream, mix pretty well but so that there are still little "pockets" of cream cheese in the mix and put in the micro for 2 min. I have not had a problem so far......in fact the only problem is that I want more.

atlee
Sat, May-10-03, 20:46
The classic mock danish recipe uses 2 oz cream cheese, and I too have found that it's too eggy with 2 eggs or with only 1 oz cream cheese. Also, dividing it will change the way it cooks, so you should either reduce the cook time or put it in one bowl. And be aware that microwaves vary -- I find that cooking mine for 1 minute is plenty, 2 is way too much.

nix
Sun, May-11-03, 01:35
hi, thanks for the tips-
what i had done was 1/2 the recipe (1 egg & 1 oz)
I will try again - the tip of softening seems a good idea-

by the way; how many watts did you put your microwave on? I can put mine on 90, 180, 300, 600 and 800.

thanks!

Corvidae
Fri, May-16-03, 16:33
Mock Danish didn't do it for me either... too spoiled by the real thing I suppose.

Maybe a teaspoon or two of soy flour would make it more 'danishy'?

I may also try it with almond flour and almond extract like the homemade real danish I *need*.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

wyterayven
Sun, May-25-03, 19:00
I just ran it through Master Cook. Too many carbs for me to devote to breakfast. :( I try to keep my breakfast at 3 carbs or less. I didnt think this would be more than that. I am trying to stay at 20 carbs total for the day. It looks like this is 7 net carbs.

Dawn

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mock Danish

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 ounces cream cheese
1 tablespoon splenda
2 each eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon heavy cream

Microwave cream cheese for 20 seconds on 40 % power. Add in splenda and mix. Beat in eggs and vanilla and heavy cream. Microwave for two minutes on high. Top with butter and cinnamon. 7 carbs

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 433 Calories; 38g Fat (78.6% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 467mg Cholesterol; 324mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 6 1/2 Fat.

GrlyGrl
Thu, May-29-03, 09:45
I use either 2 or 3 oz of cream cheese, 1 or two eggs, 1 Pack of splenda and either a squirt of LEMON juice or a drop of LEMON extract. Very tangy!

Here's some measurement help:
1 tablespoon = 1/2 fluid ounce = 3 teaspoons = 15 ml
2 tablespoons 1 fluid ounce 1/8 cup, 6 teaspoons = 30 ml
1/4 cup = 2 fluid ounces = 4 tablespoons = 59 ml
:wave:

tahoch
Sun, Jun-01-03, 10:31
I made the mock danis and the flavor was wonderful!
I did add a teaspoon of vanilla to ours. However,
it was very "spongy" in texture. Is this how everyone
else's turned out? I did use whipped cream cheese as
it is all I had.....do you think this make a difference?
I also thought it tasted like a cross between bread
pudding and rice pudding!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Terri

Ms_Pat
Sun, Jun-01-03, 11:29
I got hungry while reading this post and remembered that I had a new pack of cream cheese that I had no clue what to do with. I only bought it about a month ago because it was cheese and it was on sale.

Just ran and made the mock danish and boy was it great. Thanks everybody for the recipe. You guys just made me cover one of my June challenges, which was to try new recipies.

I thought I couldn't stomach another egg, but I'll be buying more eggs and more cream cheese.

Thanks again

Pat

P.S It did taste like bread pudding, of course without the raisins and the lemon glaze, but I think I'll try a little lemon extract next time with the vanilla, the possibilities are endless