PDA

View Full Version : Breath - Fresh or Nasty?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

fat2slim
Tue, Aug-28-01, 08:15
The one thing I miss about this diet is chewing gum. I have heard that you can have certain mints (in small doses)......

I haven't but I have heard that this diet can cause bad breath - tell me what you think?

:confused:

Natrushka
Tue, Aug-28-01, 08:38
Ketones that your body doesnt burn up are spilled over into your urine and breath. If you're drinking enough water it usually isnt a problem. The smell isnt typically *bad*, its more fruity than anything.

There are some gums out there with splenda and mints, but I havent looked for them as yet. I think they'd only mask the smell in any event.... It's not something you ate... It's everything you're eating. Water does help though.

Nat

fat2slim
Tue, Aug-28-01, 09:26
So this is just one big smelly website then? :D

I don't want to have bad breath......... what a nightmare. I am already drinking plenty of water so it'd better help else I'll just be big, fat, sweaty and smelly! Nice.......not!

wenderwomn
Tue, Aug-28-01, 16:59
LOL! I have the smelly breath too, and an icky taste in my mouth pretty often. I know it's because of the ketosis though, so I can live with it. I just drink alot of water as it seems to help. I've also chewed a few pieces of sugar free gum here and there, mostly when I know I'll be speaking to people face to face and don't want to knock them over! It hasn't affected my ketosis, but not sure if it would be the same for everyone. My urine also smells alot stronger since being LC, and I know I'm drinking PLENTY of water. Must be the ketones is all I can think!

Wendy

razzle
Wed, Aug-29-01, 10:09
I must be weird.

From the moment I got off grains and sugar, my breath became sweeter smelling. I don't even have "morning breath" any more. I've checked ketones only occasionally, but this is true when I'm in moderate ketosis, too.

But if the choice were between carrying a toothbrush to work to use a few times and being 60 pounds overweight, I'd pick the toothbrush!

Natrushka
Wed, Aug-29-01, 10:25
I'm not sure about the carb content, but BreathAssures used to work for my husband. Little capsuls you swallow that work in your stomach to combat bad breath. That being said, the smell isn't coming from your stomach....... so???

You know I hadnt noticed the absence of morning breath until you mentioned it. I did comment last night that I havent had a headache since I started LC. Or a backache. Or cramps. Knowing what I do now, I'd follow this WOL even if I didnt have weight to lose. My Boyfriend started on the weekend; he's got crohns and had been enduring some bad flareups of late. These are gone now. Hell, he's even cheerful in the morning. If I didnt know LC improved ones sleep and helps with moodiness I'd think he was a pod person ;)

Nat