PDA

View Full Version : where have all the ketones gone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ADNIL
Tue, Aug-28-01, 04:36
Hello all
I have been really good on this diet i find it easy to stick with aswell,not like the LOW fat diets,Anyway the reason i write this is im confussed the first week i lost 8lbs my ketone levels were purple the second week my first 4 days i tested my ketones and found they are at a trace .How is this so i know i have not had any carbs .
please can anyone tell me why?

IM doing good but this has been a worry to me ,ps i am drinking a lot of water

.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

wenderwomn
Tue, Aug-28-01, 05:23
I don't use the strips ADNIL so I can't help much there! But I think they're not the only indication of ketosis. If you're still losing weight and/or inches, you are still in ketosis. Hopefully someone here can tell you more about how the strips work! :)

Wendy

ADNIL
Tue, Aug-28-01, 05:51
THANX FOR YOUR NOTE IM HOLDING ON IN HOPE THAT IM STILL LOSING THURSDAY IS D DAY FINGERS CROSSED,I WILL LET YOU KNOW.

BYE FOR NOW :)

LINDA-ADNIL

fat2slim
Tue, Aug-28-01, 08:11
hmmmm, I'm doing the strip things and mine are purple. My friend also is doing this diet and hers is at trace. She's cheated slightly though and as a result hasn't lost any weight this week. If you're sticking to your carb levels then I dunno what's what with the old keto stix I'm afraid.

Sorry, not much help am I?

Natrushka
Tue, Aug-28-01, 08:43
Linda, If you're drinking a lot of water chances are you wont show much on the stix. Check out the section under tips on Ketones and Ketone Strips (http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips011.html) . They should only be used as a guide, some people NEVER show a trace.

Have you measured yourself? According to the scales I didnt lose much that second week either, but I lost 3 inches.

Nat

razzle
Tue, Aug-28-01, 09:29
Seconding what Nat said about water--deep purple means you aren't drinking enough (or let your calories slip too low, which is gonna cost you metabolic oomph down the road!)

However, you may have also run into a food sensitivity--think about what you ate the day before you got the drop in ketones. Was there a new food you added? A single sugar free candy, 3 g carbs, with its sugar alcohols, will toss me right out of ketosis. So will wheat in any form, even a bite. If you have discovered a food sensitivity, stay away from it! (hint--it's usually the foods we love the most) It may cause bloat and trigger cravings, too.

HTH

fat2slim
Tue, Aug-28-01, 09:37
I have been drinking loooooooooooooooooads of water but over the past few days I don't think I've had enough carbohydrates never mind calories. I presume that's why my sticks have gone purple.

I shall make more of an effort. It's just that I've been busy decorating and have skipped a couple of meals.

Natrushka
Tue, Aug-28-01, 09:40
Originally posted by fat2slim
It's just that I've been busy decorating and have skipped a couple of meals.

That'll do it.

fat2slim
Tue, Aug-28-01, 09:42
It's quite odd though because I would NEVER have skipped a meal before I was on this diet. If for some reason I didn't get a meal I would be in a BIG BAD SCARY mood - get the picture? I know it was bad, but I was fine the other day when I didn't eat my main meal - how funny! I'm definately a changed person!

But like I just said, will find the time to eat - it's very important!

:)

ADNIL
Tue, Aug-28-01, 17:25
Well guys i thought they had to turn purple ,maybe not thanx for advice i couldnt resist going on the scales to make sure i was still losing and i am i lost another 4 lbs thats 12lbs in total so far ,a pound for every day i have been on this diet .
things are good am so pleased with myself i feel good to,that is something i never felt on a low fat diet.

NO CARBS NO FAT(WELL LESS FAT THAN BEFORE)56LBS TO GO:eek:

debbiedobson
Tue, Aug-28-01, 17:30
skipping a meal because you forgot to eat is definitely a sign of ketosis. i only ever show a trace on the stix. i can tell i'm in ketosis because i'm not hungry between meals and i don't crave sweets.