PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to atkins, and im an overweight 19/f, can any1 give me n-e tips?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

crowlove
Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:17
Here's the deal w/ me. I'm not a student, but im 19 years old, and im 5'3 and weighed 165 lbs, about 3 days ago, when i first kinda started watching my eating, now 3 days later, im totally in gear got my book yesterday(atkins), and started eatings greens, my current weight is 160, im still in the induction phase of atkins, and its still only been a few days, and i have 1 week 1/2 more to go, but they say u lose so much weight in the first 14 days, im hoping that by next weekend (like sat) i am at least 150, or 155, if not, im losing too slow, is there any1 else out there that had difficulty losing weight in the induction phase, and if so, if u had trouble losing, did u continue doing induction until u eventually saw the lbs come off easily? im doing everything right, i have my 32oz. water cup, and i constantly refill it to drink the appropriate amount, even though i hate doing so cuz i hate water, also my appetite is under control and my cravings have stopped. i read the book, and this is a sign that im doing it right, but also it says eat every 6 hrs, and at least 3 times a day, the prob with me is, the cravings and appetite are so under control, that i dont wanna eat 3, but maybe 2 instead, but the book says 3, or 5-6 small ones...is there any1 else out there who had to force themselves to eat or maybe even u only ate when u felt hungry and still lost weight, and i dont want me, not eating, when im supposed to, affect my weight loss goal or the atkins guidelines...please help any1 whose in my situation...id greatly appreciate it! :)
a driven soul,
daytona beach, florida

gachic05
Tue, Apr-13-04, 14:54
Well I'm in induction right now... and I agree, I don't have much of an appetite. I no longer crave the carbs and I'm sick of induction foods.... especially chicken. Be careful with the greens, some actually have a lot of carbs. I was surprised by that. I don't force myself to eat, but you may be wiser by doing so. Maybe you should eat small snacks, such as a slice of cheese or pepperoni to prevent eating large amounts when you're not hungry.

loserbaby
Wed, Apr-14-04, 23:57
After having done this for 4 months, starting when i was still 19, I now do have to force myself to remeber to eat. I simply don't get humgry. However, it is really important to eat regularly and enough on this WOL. Your blood sugar becomes very low and steady, but if you don't eat enough or on time you will feel extraordinarily faint. The best way to succeed on induction is to keep your food choices as natural as possible. Chose greens that are dark in colour and high fibre. As for loosing weight, it sounds weird, but if you don't eat enough fat, you will not go into ketosis as easily and you won't lose as fast. The only time I stall is when I don't eat enough. However, at your weight you probably won't lose as much or as fast as those of us who are larger. The fact is you won't be able to lose five pounds in three days for very long. In induction, you're body loses a lot of water, along with the fat. The fact is, for your size, you are not losing slowly at all. Although cheese (especially cheese strings) are great on the go snacks for after induction, during induction, its better to keep it at a minimum.

blue4lemon
Mon, Apr-19-04, 10:54
Hey, can I recommend some books that will help you a lot??

The Secret To Low Carb Success, by Laura Richard. Don't go another day without this book. I too on am on Atkins, but his book is not the end all, be all of low carbing. Lots of tips in Laura's book.

also:

How I gave Up My Low Carb Diet and lost 40 Pounds, by Dana Carpender. Sort of like Laura's book but a lot more personal and she goes into a few different topics.

blue4lemon
Mon, Apr-19-04, 10:55
And if you hate water, add some lemon juice in. Lemon juice has carbs too, but a great benefit of it is that the acids in it slow your digestion and I think it may flush more ketones out.

I forgot, get the Aktins carb Counter book too.

magnamater
Mon, Apr-19-04, 11:09
At your young age, I know you are concerned about HOW MUCH you can loose and HOW QUICKLY.

Without sounding like an old geezer, which I am, but anyway. . .the WOL works, if you work it. You have found the way that you won't have to diet ever again in your life, but you have to think of it as a WOL, or you will be doing it again and again, and your weight each time will be higher, ask me how I know!!!!!!!!!

Wish I knew then what I know now--in other words, you are in a great place to be.

Good luck!! you can do it, you are already doing great!!

crowlove
Fri, Apr-23-04, 09:22
i appreciate all you guys words of wisdom, i took it to heart and i continue, to work on this, its been the end for me almost lately, ive felt very tired, and hungry, craving badly, and im trying so hard, but i dont know what to do, cuz induction is getting so boring, and im sick of eating the same thing all the time, but ill keep trying, thanks to all of u who offered advice,,,:0)
gisell