PDA

View Full Version : Prednisone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Natrushka
Sun, Aug-26-01, 15:04
Just over a year ago my mom started the PP. She did really well (55 lbs lost) Last november, however she developed rhumatoid arthritis. It hit her bad and hard. She's been on prednison ever since (she's down to 7.5mg a day now, and trying to wean it to 5). She's also taking methatrexate (sp?). She gets cortisone injections in her wrists and knees every few months (and is going to have knee replacement surgery in the near future). As a result of the drugs she started to gain weight (about 20 lbs in total). She stoped LC (although she doesnt eat potato, pasta or use refined flour much). In fact for a while she was convinced that LC might have brought this on (she no longer thinks this).

Seeing me enjoying this WOL she'd like to start up again. She's worried that the prednisone will sabotage her efforts though. I know there are some forum members who use steroids (I've done a search), but I didnt find anything on prednisone. Does anyone out there use it? and can you offer any advice?

Thx in advance,
Nat

SheilaC
Thu, Mar-11-04, 22:33
Hey, Nat.
I found myself in the same position.... started lowcarbing and bam, rheumatoid arthritis so bad I really didn't think I could go on... Didn't end up on Prednisone but did and do take a wicked cocktail of Methotrexate,Plaquinil and Naproxen.
I know from other people that prednisone makes you "swell" or "puff up" and once you quit taking it, that goes away. I also know for me and what I take, it makes losing weight very difficult but possible. I suffered for a year and a half and then started feeling better and got myself a golden retreiver puppy. I started small walks with the puppy and now, 3 years later, she and I do a couple of kilometers every single morning. I hope your Mom has faith, it will get better once that ugly flare dies down. My hopes are with her.
Sheila

bcbeauty
Mon, Mar-15-04, 02:08
Hi Nat.
It's true. It makes you swell and puff up like a blow fish, but I think that depends alot on the dosages you take. I have taken prednisone on and off for chronic asthma for the last 25 yrs. If I go into a bronchial attack they will put me on 50 mgs. Thats a lot. And I look like a blowfish with in a day,and can't stop eating. But when I get sick with bronchitis or other lung infections caused by the flu and such...they will put me on 25 mg.for a day or 2 then 20 then 15 ..etc.until I will be down to 5 mgs for a few days and I am not affected in the least by this. I would think your mom would know best how the med affects her. I know on a higher dose I could never do this. Prednisone makes you hungry all the time.
I am not on any prednisone right now butI wasnot too long ago. I am in 3rd week of very strict induction. (I haven't cheated once) and have only lost between 4 - 5 lbs in 20 days. I have worried that this is caused by steroids as well.

shortstuff
Tue, Mar-16-04, 11:57
I'm asthmatic and take prednisone only when needed to control a severe spasm. Back in November I was in the middle of a 10-day tapering pack when I whooshed with 6.6 pounds down on Thanksgiving Day. It really surprised me since prednisone usually packs the pounds on me. The only thing I can think of that I did different that time was avoid a lot of salt (I used to really crave the chips and pretzels loaded with salt when I was on prednisone) and really concentrate on large amounts of water a day - a gallon or more every day.

shortstuff

BTW - my asthma has actually IMPROVED since I've started LCing. I have no explanation for it, but I've only had one severe attack in the last 7 months. I usually have at least two during a winter.

bigted
Sun, Mar-21-04, 16:34
Hi Nat,

I'm doing Atkins on the advice of my GP. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), IBS and a boat load of other related problems. My GP thought that the medical cocktail I'm on (prednisone 10mg daily, methotrexate, remicade etc) would slow the progress but he was surprised and pleased with what I have attained so far. He did think it would be slower than those who do not have to deal with the inability to exercise and meds I have to take.
What I can add is prenisone is known for weight gain and "moon face", but RA can do it too as I have it in my jaw (TMJ) amd my jaw has been swollen for years. Weight gain too can be from the inability to exercise. I know I used to walk almost everywhere and now I don't because the pain is too much and I get tired. In May one of my knees will be replaced and I am hoping that this will enable me to do more.
What I can add is is that without prednisone I could not function, so if taking it makes it harder to loose then that is the price I pay for being able live a little. I hope this helps.
BTW Prenisone won an Nobel prize as they thought when they discovered it they had cured RA, but they did not understand the side effects. Even though it has been over 50 since it's discovery nothing quite works as well in reducing pain and swelling like prednisone.

waterangel
Thu, Apr-08-04, 10:54
Hi, there

I have taken Prednisone for 8 yrs, "cold turkey" stopped taking it in November, 2003. Then I continued taking methotrexate, but increased vitamins using a nutrition almanac from any health food store. I got off the methotrexate the first week of March, 2004. Prior to quitting Prednisone, I was also taking Sulindac and Hydroxychloroquine(also known as Plaquenil) and quit those at the same time I quit Prednisone(Nov/2003). A lot would depend on what your mother wants to do. I researched the internet, books and people.
When I decided wanting to quit meds, I started out using the Arthritis Diet, Somersize(too expensive), then Dr Phil UWS(didn't like it, too many carbs), and Curves(too many fruits), finally, the revised Atkins' meal plan. I did use the Atkins' meal plan in 2000, lost 50 lbs, got bored with it. At that time, you couldn't eat veggies and it was an outdated book.
You wanted to know if anyone used Prednisone, I'm one from experience. Again, a lot depends on what your mother is willing to do.
I don't like M.D. doctors, they are not all for the patient to stop taking meds. I switched M.D. doctors to D.O. doctors. The D.O. doctors are willing to work with you on losing weight, exercise and possibly get off meds if you do it right. I know some people who had suffered arthritis, started working out with free weights or resistance weight machines. They told me that is what kept them from suffering bouts of flare-ups and inflammation. Then I started doing it, it's true. I subscribed to WebMD.com for information on arthritis(all kinds), osteoporosis, diabetes and weight loss. Very good site! There could be other sites. I don't know.
Good luck with you and your mother's weight loss.

Cindy Q