PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain from bathroom "stall"?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

scarpetta
Tue, Apr-06-04, 14:58
Can people gain weight from not being able to move their bowels for several days?

Bindy
Tue, Apr-06-04, 15:02
wow ,yes you can gain weight from not moving your bowels not only that it is just not healthy. try finding some links and info on fiber. getting your fiber is very , very, vital. good luck.:)

scarpetta
Tue, Apr-06-04, 15:21
it's perfectly normal for some people to "go" every few days. that's how i've always been. however, since starting this diet, i now seem to be at every 4th or 5th day. it gets uncomfortable, to say the least. i started on the flax meal in water this morning to get things moving.

from y'alls experience, can i expect a whoosh once my situation returns to "all clear"?

SusanKH
Tue, Apr-06-04, 15:23
I'm certainly not as regular as I used to be, but then I don't drink the amount of water I should either.

Hilary M
Tue, Apr-06-04, 15:26
Not to be too crass, but yes, when you let all that out you're likely to lose a pound or two. All that poop building up for days has to weigh something, right? A day or two ago there was a post on here about a girl who lost like 4 pounds after spending some time on the toilet.

The things we tell total strangers over the internet... :lol:

potatofree
Tue, Apr-06-04, 15:43
:lol:

Yes, it can. When I first added fiber supplements, for example, in the two or three days before I, um, dowloaded?? I gained about 3 lbs or so. Once things got "moving" it left...

Hilary-- and this isn't even a real overshare thread compared to SOME!!! :lol:

climbergrl
Tue, Apr-06-04, 16:19
Yes, but it's not fat weight. It's poop weight.

hcomeau
Wed, Apr-07-04, 13:44
Eat lots of veggies and take Metamucil capsules! It works trust me! If I have a day when I don't have a lot of veggies, I can't go!

sisflomi
Wed, Apr-07-04, 13:52
I find that with Atkins I am constantly going to the bathroom. I think the eggs are what helps me the most. I used to be a person that went once every week or every other week. This is the first time in my life that I can go almost every day. I do have IBS and am sure some of the lc food does not help with that at all. I hope you find a way to fix this problem.

pinkpen
Wed, Apr-07-04, 13:52
Well, I may as well chime in, since we're being so candid. :lol:

I seemed to gain a couple of pounds and was in a panic until I (to quote star trek) "vented plasma", myself. :lol:

It's not only important to remember to make sure you're getting your fiber so that you don't have this uncomfortable stall, but long term "not going" for years can lead to colon problems in later life. Get your fiber. I can't remember who posted it, but it was just a little while ago that I read a post where someone suggested flax crackers:

2 tbsp flax meal
1 tbsp water
work into a paste and spread on parchment paper and microwave for a bit.

I've had one every morning and one in the evening. Really helpful so far!

Now that I'm out of induction I'm also incorporating some very high fiber 5g-per-slice low-carb bread. Talk about seeds! That along with cabbage, sauerkraut, spinach....things are moving along finally!

Mavis

bonesigh
Wed, Apr-07-04, 14:02
"What goes in, must come out!" LOL

I had regular BMs before I started Atkins. For about the first month of being on Atkins, my BMs slowed down to about one every 2-3 days. But now everything is back to normal. I just make sure to get fiber into me every day. It takes a little while for the fiber to start working, but is worth it. I also take a number of "oil" supplement capsules (Fish Oil, CLA, Vitamin E, Flax Seed) on a daily basis, so perhaps these are helping to "smooth" things along. ;)

Lindym
Wed, Apr-07-04, 15:21
We just got back from a weeks vacation and DH had too much cheese and not enough veggies. He was not doing good and up 5 lbs. We got some herb tea called "Smooth Move" ( in the natural food section) and in 24 hour had complete relief.