PDA

View Full Version : What's this about bad breath???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Simone2S
Fri, Aug-24-01, 17:45
I was visiting another website regarding low carb eating and someone posted a message stating they can always spot a low carber because of their "stinky breath" . They were of course opposed of this way of eating. However, I wanted to know this is true and if so, why?

I recently joined this site and will start my Atkins experience on September 1, 2001.

Maybe this person was just being a vicious cynic:confused:

Anyway, if anyone can shed some light, I would appreciate it.Luck is when preparation meets opportunity

bluugirl
Fri, Aug-24-01, 18:08
The bad breath comes from the ketones your body is producing (someone back me up here)..it helps if you drink enough water, then your body will also adjust. You will also feel an 'ickyness' in your mouth in the beginning, so drink alot of water. It's not as bad as your friend suggested! You can always have stinky breath without lowcarbing :D

Dalou
Fri, Aug-24-01, 21:26
I was wondering about this too, I also saw a mention of bad breath on another site. My hubby (who does not need to lose weight, but jumps on the bandwagon and cheers me on :p ) has a MUCH quicker metabolism and less body fat than I do, so he has reached ketosis quite quickly.

I noticed his breath is less than lovely and he's been complaining of dry mouth, even when he drinks water. It's reassuring to know that this is a normal part of the process and nothing to be alarmed about.

I wouldn't have thought the anticipation of bad breath would be anything to get excited about!:)

Natrushka
Fri, Aug-24-01, 21:27
I've seen it described as a fruity smell, but have yet to experience it. And I've asked my boyfriend to TELL me should he notice it. Nothing yet. Drinking the water helps, I'm up to between 4 - 5 liters a day.

Bluu's right about the *ickiness* though. For the first week I felt like I had a perpetual tickle in the back of my throat (like the start of a cold) and I had a lot of phlegm to deal with. All expected and perfectly normal when starting this WOL. It goes away, just like the inches :D

Nat

bluugirl
Sat, Aug-25-01, 12:20
oh yes it's normal and it's a good sign that u're in ketosis!.. i used to measure my breath rather than ketostix.. lol
anyway, i drink an average of 2.5L water... on a good day, so not as near as u Nat.
I especially have that bad taste in the AM.. (more than i used to before LCing)... I usually wake up at night and drink a glass.. i'm so thirsty!... anyway nothing to worry about :) :) :)