PDA

View Full Version : Crazy for peanut butter

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CAP1029
Thu, Apr-01-04, 12:37
Does anyone have cravings for peanut butter? I am constantly going for a scoop or two or three! I don't think this is allowed on WOE - is this true? I just started adding coconut oil to my diet and perhaps this will help with the cravings. Any thoughts?

Hellistile
Thu, Apr-01-04, 14:19
As far as I know, NeanderThin does not allow for the consumption of legumes in any form including peanuts and peanut butter. Your body may just be craving nuts or fats. This can be easily accomplished without resorting to eating peanuts or peanut butter as there is a wide array of nuts and fats to chose from.

TarHeel
Thu, Apr-01-04, 14:24
Try macadamia or almond nut butters....works for me.

Kay

arcticslug
Fri, Apr-02-04, 17:06
It's hard to say what your body is craving. It could be fat or it could be carbs....peanut butter has both. Plus it just tastes great. Peanut butter is not paleo as it is made from legumes but there are other nut butters out there. If you're eating peanut butter that isn't 100% peanuts you could be craving the sugar that is added to most commercial peanut butters. Personally I love natural almond butter. I don't think there is a big problem with eating tons of it unless you're worried about weight gain. Anyhow I love to spread it on apple slices. So good!

TwilightZ
Fri, Apr-02-04, 17:27
Virtually all peanuts and hence peanut butter contain the fungus, aflatoxin, a potent carcinogen, which can also cause liver disease and depressed immune function. Punch in "aflatoxin" into Google and check it out. There's a reason why many legumes are inappropriate for human consumption. Best to stick with real nuts.

TZ

ezandreth
Tue, Apr-06-04, 06:36
I had never heard of this before! Am worried that I might be developing a nut intolerance after having had bad reactions twice to peanuts and once now to pistachios.
Are pistachios legumes or nuts?
I am prepared to accept that on each occasion it was plain overeating as well as what I was eating, but I have also pigged out on almonds and chick peas and not had the same problems. I know chick peas are not nuts and have a higher carb count than I should be including but it was one of those days...
I would have thought almonds would cause problems if one were sensitive as they can have low levels of cyanide which I think is what makes bitter almonds so. Or am I talking BS here?
Getting confused...
Zan

tms
Tue, Apr-20-04, 19:04
i experience this, as i'll want to eat the entire jar, whether it be pb, almond, macadamia or tahini. i reason that these are "trigger" foods and MUST be avoided, just like bread or cereals etc