PDA

View Full Version : fat burning cyclist book?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

loCarbJ
Sat, Mar-27-04, 13:12
I have read several posts (here and elsewhere) about an author who advocates a low carb lifestyle and cycling training where you train your body to become a primarily fat burning mechanizm. I am very interested in this subject and want to find this author. Does anyone know who they are?

DianaO
Tue, Mar-30-04, 14:13
Never heard of them... I'd be interested too

senrides
Wed, Mar-31-04, 00:34
I am a cyclist and I can't find anything on this but please flag me if anyone else comes up with it?

Thanks

CarbsBeGon
Tue, Apr-06-04, 18:19
Hmm, I couldn't find anything specifically related to cycling and low-carbing either. I do know, however, that an author named Lyle McDonald is/was a cyclist and has written 2 books related to low-carb and exercise (don't know how much detail he gives to the cycling). They are: "The Ketogenic Diet" (1998) and "The Ultimate Diet 2.0" (2003). Both books can be found at amazon.com.

A good, recent interview with him can also be found here: http://www.ketogenics.com/interview.asp

Don't know if this helps...

loCarbJ
Tue, Apr-06-04, 18:25
Thanks CarbsBeGon!, I'll be sure to check out Lyle McDonald! And the LOW CARB CYCLING CLUB sounds great! The closest thing that I've found to a cyclist's fat burning book so far is "Slow Burn" by Stu Mittleman, a famous endurance runner/walker. Slow Burn is a great book for low carber's interested in fitness!

joel381
Tue, Apr-03-12, 07:42
May take a look at "Slow Burn" again as I just skimmed through it before.

fibersnap
Sun, Apr-08-12, 10:15
The contrast between the "slow burn" and HIIT interval training is really interesting.
From personal experience, I know that I've lost a LOT of fat while doing a lot of low intensity walking and atkins for about 18 months. However, my muscles atrophied a lot and I lost strength. When I went out on basketball court, I was airballing freethrows.
OTOH - I just can't do high intensity training without carbs. I get exhausted fast and takes forever to recover. Plus, I'm just much weaker.

joel381
Sun, Apr-08-12, 13:07
The contrast between the "slow burn" and HIIT interval training is really interesting.
From personal experience, I know that I've lost a LOT of fat while doing a lot of low intensity walking and atkins for about 18 months. However, my muscles atrophied a lot and I lost strength. When I went out on basketball court, I was airballing freethrows.
OTOH - I just can't do high intensity training without carbs. I get exhausted fast and takes forever to recover. Plus, I'm just much weaker.
I too find that my performance ceiling is lower without, no experience with the long term effect on muscle atrophy as I never stayed real low that long. I requested the book but feel its not really going to be helpful. I expiremented with some HIIT and am planning on getting back to it soon. Now dealing with a foot problem 'PF' which will stop my persuit of running for the time being so maybe the HIIT on the bike will be easier on the foot.

fibersnap
Tue, Apr-10-12, 12:34
I too find that my performance ceiling is lower without, no experience with the long term effect on muscle atrophy as I never stayed real low that long. I requested the book but feel its not really going to be helpful. I expiremented with some HIIT and am planning on getting back to it soon. Now dealing with a foot problem 'PF' which will stop my persuit of running for the time being so maybe the HIIT on the bike will be easier on the foot.

I should say that the muscle atrophy may have been caused by lack exercise, rather than super low-carb per se.

I really like using the bike for HIIT while low-carbing. What works well is having stationary bike in accessible location. I hop on for a few minutes at a time, and go very hard and get my heart rate way up. It feels really good, and doesn't drain me like going on a real bike ride.
In general, I feel better if I get even a brief cardio workout like that everyday. Great stress reliever.