PDA

View Full Version : Mood change? Irritability

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

HilaryJ
Wed, Aug-22-01, 21:44
I have been on atkins low carb for 5 weeks and have lost 15 lbs. The past week I (and others) have noticed a mood change. I have become morose, and irritable. This is not normal for me and I don't know if there is a correlation. I am currently eating 20-30 carbs per day. Any suggestions??

Natrushka
Thu, Aug-23-01, 06:12
Just a thought, could it be that TOM? I noticed I was feeling hungrier, restless and craving sleep yesteday, then I realized it's been 4 weeks (which is not normal for me, but apparently your TOM changes when you start LCing).

Nat

bluugirl
Thu, Aug-23-01, 08:26
here's a thought, perhaps u're getting impatient with the 'diet' assuming u're thinking of this as a diet vs. a WOL..so u're getting irritable? i think i can get that way if i start obsessing, and getting impatient.. i really think half the weight loss battle is mental ..
then again i may be completely off the mark. It's almost like taking for granted the weight u have lost already and losing sight that no matter how 'little' weight has come off it is an ACHIEVEMENT.
In any case, I wouldn't worry about it too much...

NancyC
Thu, Aug-23-01, 09:09
Hilary:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I too had serious mood problems after being on Atkins. My addiction to carbs was a way to self-medicate depression. Carbs, especially in high amounts, have a very similar serotonin effect, much like anti-depressants.

The good news is that exercise releases the same "pleasure" chemicals that carbs do.

While some "addicts" do not suffer from depression, those that do, when they stop eating carbs, will experience mood swings, irritability, etc. because their "medication" has been stopped.

N

missydog
Mon, Aug-27-01, 10:26
I agree about the self-medication for depression. I had mood problems, light headedness (which I'm SURE was psychological) when I first went low carb. It was hard to do without my "fix". Now I'm going on 8 weeks of low carbing and I'm over the mood problems, and I feel so much better! I'm also doing hard aerobic workouts on a regular basis with NO ill effects whatsoever. Of course, I fall off the wagon now and then, but I always want to get right back to low carbing because I know what a stabilizing effect it has on my blood sugar and my mood! It's definitely worth it to stick it out during the "detox" period. Good luck-- you will get there, all those of you just starting out.

Lessara
Wed, Oct-03-01, 13:55
Thank you! I thought I was going out of my head?! I take prozac and its always worked on a low dose. But recently my anxiety has been going through the roof! And its not my TOM either.
I do know I used carbs as a comfort food: you know chocolate, ice cream... mash potatoes...

Damsel
Sun, Oct-21-01, 01:33
I am going into my 7th day only and last night i was as crabby as anything and also this morning.It is definately like a fix i needed my cereal i was almost hitting my husband because i wanted it he was aying youve done so well dont give in its your head sayin you want it ut you dont need it.
And he was right i said to him im not hungry i just need to taste it.But i didnt. :)

fiona
Sun, Oct-21-01, 15:33
Damsel

I'd say you are very near the turning point. The cravings get worse and then suddenly you don't want carbs any more - i guess your body accepts it's not going to get any. Then it gets a whole lot easier and you feel a whole lot better.

Stick it out - just through induction.
Take care.

Damsel
Mon, Oct-22-01, 12:41
Thanks Fiona
What a great day ive had today not craved at all feel brilliant.
I had it bad the last 2 nights i think i could of killed for something with carbs in i was really goin to give up how much do i feel better now that i didnt
thanks to all on site :) :) :thup:
Damsel (sue)

Ka3n
Mon, Oct-22-01, 13:02
What a great day ive had today not craved at all feel brilliant.

Alriiiiight Sue! I'm glad to hear that. :wave:

When I go through a craving 'spell' (or a craving wild woman episode...) and don't give in I feel like I get stronger. Each day that I'm on Atkins reinforces that I don't want to blow it, because it just makes it harder in the long run.

I ate out the other night, had Pecan Crusted Chicken on Salad. I picked off the crust (which was mostly flour, not pecans) but the dressing was awfullly sweet, I made the choice to eat it anyways, thinking what the heck. I had cravings all day Saturday and Sunday morning, which I didn't give into and now I'm back to normal, which is no cravings.

I think we all get to know how our individual bodies react to carbs and triggers, and that makes it easier t olive this WOL. But, I relate to your feelings during the craving crisis! Keep up the fight! It get easier!!

Ka3n
Mon, Oct-22-01, 13:13
BTW, I found some supplements at the health food store that level off blood sugar and help to reduce my cravings.

ONe is called Blood Sugar Harmony (I use the one in an alcohol base and put a few drops under my tongue for quick delivery into my bloodstream).

It contains these herbs:
Devil's Club Rootbark, Dandelion Root, Prickly Ash Bark, Atractylodes Boi Zhu, Angelica, Dong Quai, Paeonia Bao Shoa Root, Bupleurum Chai Hu, Licorice Root, Gan Cao.

Then I takeSuper Fit Burners by Action Labs, it has
Chromium Picolinate and Chromiun Polyicotinate and CitriMax (Hydroxycitric Acid) All of which are suppose to reduce sugar cravings and keep blood sugar levels stable. It also contains nutrients. I'm sure that you can find similar things at your local healthfood store. I know that they help me a lot.

Damsel
Mon, Oct-22-01, 14:07
tHANKS FOR THAT
I KNOW I WILL GET MY HANDS SLAPPEED BUT I HAVENT STARTED TAKING ANY SUPPLEMENTS YET I HAVE GREAT TROUBLE IN SWOLLING WELL TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH I GOT PREGNANT ON THE PILL THATS HOW BAD I AM.
BIT I WILL HAVE TO GO TO THE HEALTH FOOD STORE AND SEE WHAT THEY CAN DO

Ka3n
Mon, Oct-22-01, 14:14
Sue,
Somethings come in liquid form, like the Blood Sugar Harmony. Even vitamins are available in liquid form. It makes it easy for people who have problems swallowing pills. But, the bottom line is that you know what you need, it's not up to anyone to 'slap your hands'. Not all people take supplements. Go with what you're comfortable with, and do what you can one day at a time. :)

Damsel
Tue, Oct-23-01, 00:12
Thanks Catherine,
I am goin to town on Wed to Holland & barrett.Do you know if taki the supps help you lose weight faster?

Ka3n
Tue, Oct-23-01, 22:43
Yes, some of them raise your metabolism rate which causes you to burn fat faster. But, be careful. some are not for people with high blood pressure, any heart problems or nuerological disorders as some can dilate blood vessles and stimulate the heart and nervous system. Ask the person at the healthfood store or the pharmacy. Atkins has some out now that I heard were good. They were a little pricey for me, so I got some other ones that focused on keeping blood sugar stable for my cravings.
Good Luck finding something that helps you!
Katherine :roll:

Damsel
Wed, Oct-24-01, 12:07
WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT I WENT TO HOLLAND AND BARRETT FOUND THE STAFF RUBBISH DIDNT HAVE A CLUE I WAS ASKING ABOUT THE FLAXMEAL STUFF THAT YOU MAKE PORRIDGE WITH BUT SHE DIDNT SEEM TO HAVE A CLUE,I WILL HAVE TO FIND ANOTHER HEALTH COMPANY. :thdown:

tamarian
Wed, Oct-24-01, 12:15
Hi Damsel,

Don't give up on them. In my experience, healthfood staff don't know much about low-carbing and what we use some products for. Instead of asking for flaxmeal for porridge, just ask for flax or flax seeds. If they have it, ask them they have them ground, or you can gind it yourself in a coffeee grinder.

Wa'il

Damsel
Wed, Oct-24-01, 12:54
tHANKS TAMARIN,
IM GOIN BACK TO TOWN TOMMORROW THERE WAS SOMETHING CALLED LINSEED GRAINS ARE THEY ANYTHING WE HAVE THEY DIDNT LOOK TO GOOD.
ALSO WHAT SUPPS DO YOU TAKE BECAUSE I NEED TO GET SOME THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS THAT I CANT SWALLOW TABS SO I WILL HAVE TO BREAK THEM UP OR SEE IF THEY HAVEIT IN LIQUID FORM.

tamarian
Wed, Oct-24-01, 22:53
I generally take a daily multi-vitamin, any brand I see on the shelf, plus a separate tablet of potassium and another calcium/magnesium combo.

Wa'il

doreen T
Wed, Oct-24-01, 23:07
hi Damsel ... yes, flax seeds and linseeds are one and the same thing :thup:

Pre-ground flax meal or linseed meal can often be of questionable quality ... make sure it's sold in foil or dark vaccuum-sealed packaging in the shop's refrigerated section. Whole linseeds can be stored on the shelf for quite a few months. I agree with Wa'il it's better to buy the whole seeds ... they are so economical that way ... and use an electric coffee grinder or spice mill to grind them. Don't try to use a blender or food processer ... the seeds are too small and hard .. they will just dance around and not grind at all! Only grind up what you will use within a week's time, and store the ground meal in a tightly closed container in the fridge or freezer.

Doreen