PDA

View Full Version : Seen these new fatigue drugs?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Shleepy
Fri, Mar-19-04, 01:41
Has anyone seen commercials for new chronic fatigue drugs on a channel such as HGTV? I listened to two different ads about two different fatigue-fighting drugs, both starting with the letter "A", but I can't for the life of me see those commercials again (I don't watch much television) or remember their names! If anyone sees them, I would really appreciate if you could post them so I can look them up, as I am feeling incredibly crappy. Thank you very much.

PS, one of them (I think) is called Ambavil or something, and the other is not named Ampligen (I don't think). Could be though :-/. . .

Starmaker
Fri, Mar-19-04, 08:02
Was that the one they used to treat narcolepsy?

Shleepy
Sun, Mar-21-04, 02:25
They may. . .I don't honestly know. I still have not seen their names on television, but when and if I do I will post here for you about the narcolepsy (which I believe can be treated with a "wunder" drug called Ampligen, which was an early prototype for chronic fatigue sufferers).

Dodger
Sun, Mar-21-04, 08:12
There is a lot of good information on Chronic Fatigue here:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/cfs/treat.htm
including listing of drugs.

black57
Sun, Mar-21-04, 20:52
I have seen Altovis advertized, which was a med mentioned on another board. They are sending a month's supply for free to anyone who is interested. The earllier poster said that her's had just came in the mail.

Shleepy
Mon, Mar-22-04, 23:11
Ugh, I don't know how I got a name like "ambavil", but Altovis is what I was looking for, as that is the commercial I last saw (though I think there is another new drug that treats severe fatigue). Thanks for the mention. :)

LisaS
Tue, Mar-23-04, 21:31
altovis is basically caffeine-derivative + ginseng + B vitamins according to the website. no magic there as far as i can see.

xenamom
Wed, Mar-24-04, 05:35
I suffer from FMS and CFS and just started on Provigil (Modafinil) from my doctor. For the first time in 10 years I finally have enough energy to get through the day! I still have the pain but now I have the energy and motivation to start an exercise routine! It's a start! I was shocked at the change I felt! I didn't think anything could work so well. It's waht they give military pilots to help them maintain their stamina and alertness. For me it just helps me stay awake. Hope that helps!

Shleepy
Wed, Mar-31-04, 19:44
Xenaxom, it may help a lot. To tell you the truth, I have taken a lot of drugs for symptoms of so-called disorders I do not have, and who knows what those have done to my body. Anyway, I am paranoid, as right now I have a couple sample boxes of Provigil that I have held onto for quite some time, but have not taken more than one pill. I am afraid it will make me feel like I am on crack, like Ritalin or coffee, or a drug whore, and I just want to be clean and healthy like most any rational human. I am not in a place of battle, nor will I be anytime soon, yet my day-to-day routine is basically feeling like a very old man waiting for death, like nothing more than a bunch of flesh that is just flailing around throughout the day without hope of ever feeling better again, and no one understands this horrible feeling. Its basically like my old mono symptoms multiplied by 10,000, an extreme of fatigue with no conceivable hope of relenting, and I feel like I am holding on for a miracle that does not exist. It sounds ridiculous, and my exhausted logic is for $hit, but I am running more thin then the most fu(ked up raped alcholic with no support. My question for you is, do you have some kind of "real" energy, or do you honestly feel like you are on a "crack" high. I read what you wrote, and in my present state your dreamlike words were like well-placed knives. Coming from someone with both FMS and CFS, I have personal doubts about not taking those samples of Provigil. It wasn't always like this (as I am sure you can relate), and thats why I feel like I lost a big f!~$ing battle against something beyond my most creative comprehension. If I could swim and draw to the day I die, I won in life. I am insanely desparate, and I will take those damn pills. However, I would really appreciate a reply to that question, if you don't mind. Thanks.

Shleepy
Wed, Mar-31-04, 20:13
P.S. Just realized there is Chronic Fatigue/FMS board on this site. *Smacks head in frustration*

janandden1
Sun, Sep-12-04, 19:37
There is a lot of good information on Chronic Fatigue here:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/cfs/treat.htm
including listing of drugs.
Mike,
I have severe fibro and the only thing my doctor will perscribe in Naproxin and that does nothing for me. Have you been reading about the oil of oregano? If so, what is your take on it?
Thanks,
Jan
Canal Fulton, Ohio :wave:

KittenLady
Thu, Oct-07-04, 00:40
I was recently diagnosed with CFS, and have been on Provigil for about a month now. My dr started me at 1/2 a tablet for several days, then a full tablet. It doesn't "hype" me up; I don't get jittery; it doesn't drop my blood sugar -- in other words, it doesn't act like a stimulant on me. It's gentle yet constant -- I may get physically tired, but my brain hasn't been as "foggy" lately. This may not be the case for others, but it's a "wonder drug" for me at this point in time. On days when I wake up feeling mentally alert, I can take 1/2 a tablet, or none. It's also not addictive.

Hope this helps someone else.