PDA

View Full Version : Atkins vs. South Beach & Exercise

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SusanKH
Wed, Mar-10-04, 08:48
I know this has been addressed many times, and I'm not asking anyone to bash either diet. But I would like to know what you feel the advantages are to SBD, and whether you feel like you could do it for life. Also, if you are a heavy exerciser, do you feel you get enough food to fuel your body?

I work out 3 - 4 times a week, and I work out hard. Atkins leaves me shaky.

Thanks for all your comments!
Susan

Teardrop
Wed, Mar-10-04, 09:13
I was on Atkins for about 4 months last year and had great success but wasn't exercising at all. I went off of it for who knows what reasons and tried low-fat for awhile. I work out with a trainer twice a week and he suggested the low-fat option. I was getting really tired of it after 6 months and decided to go with South Beach. I like the fact that I'm getting lots of vegetables, some fruit,and lean meats. My trainer is really happy that I'm eating the way I am because it incorporates all of the elements of a healthy diet. I'm in training for a 500 mile, 7-day bike ride in September so I've been working out hard four days a week and lifting two days a week. I'm getting plenty of energy with SB. I went out and rode a fast 50-mile ride last weekend with no problems. While everyone else was eating pastries from the bakery where we stopped, I pulled out my peanuts. The weight keeps falling off and I feel better than ever. It doesn't feel at all like I'm on a diet - just doing what's good for my body.

Kimmerz321
Wed, Mar-10-04, 10:50
If you check out my past posts, you'll see that I've had some struggles w/ the weight loss aspects of SBD at times. But I am a firm believer in it because it is the first plan I've come across that I feel I can live with as a lifestyle. The plan set forth is much more realistic to live with long-term. It all boils down to getting rid of processed, sugar-y foods that we all know are not good for us and eating more natural foods that our bodies are better able to deal with. I've done Atkins before and while it works for weight loss, it was a lot harder for me to maintain long-term. I also always felt really greasy and sluggish on it. SBD doesn't feel like a diet. I still eat a lot of the same things I ate before - I just eat a lot less of them.

I think that as a heavy exerciser, SBD is great for maintaining energy. In the book, Dr. Agatston says that after a workout you should always have something with carbs to replace the glycogen food stores that you burn while working out.

Good luck!

kywoman
Wed, Mar-10-04, 11:23
I guess I've read most of the low or lower carb diet plans(SugarBusters,Protein Power,Atkins,SBD,ect.) It seems that all are an improvement over low fat/high carb, however I think success depends on lots of individual factors. If you exercise alot, SBD or SugarBusters would probably work great. Whole grain, low GI carbs would be used as fuel & protein for muscle rebuilding. If you are more inactive, then changing your fuel supply to fat(ie;ketosis during Atkins Induction) would probably make more sense. Once you reach Atkins premaintenance, there doesn't seem to be that much difference in any of these diets. I am grateful that all of these options are now available to us cause there is a plan for everyone!

Kimmerz321
Wed, Mar-10-04, 13:20
Well said, kywoman. :)