PDA

View Full Version : Lcing with 3 little ones

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jbird
Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:48
I'm not having any issues yet with what I'm eating and what they eat since they barely eat anything but yogurt and cheerios but I do find its been weird to not have a couple goldfish or lick the Peanut butter off my finger after making the PB&J's.

My poor hubby though, he's not getting any carbs made by me. I just don't want to be making rice and pasta or potatoes when I can't have them. Is that selfish or am I just doing what I have to do right now?

He is so skinny, he can't afford to lose any weight so I probably should be making some. Anyway its my first two weeks so maybe after I'm through this I will make some carbs for him....don't know though.

How do others handle the lcing with kids and significant others? :wiggle:

FrecklFluf
Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:55
We don't have kids yet, but if it's a "normal" meal—like, say, pork chops paprikash with a salad and steamed broccoli—I don't go out of my way to make extra carbs. Tonight I made runza filling (ground beef, onion, sausage, shredded cabbage) and put his inside the regular dough pockets but put mine inside LC tortillas. (It was FAB, by the way.)

When we have kids, we will severely limit sugar and refined flours, and I won't buy junk food on a regular basis. Otherwise I won't limit their diet. For instance, they will get regular milk instead of my Carb Countdown, and they will probably eat more fruit than I do.

catspaw
Tue, Mar-09-04, 13:02
I have made the family lowcarb meals with mock potatos (cauliflower) and salad, and nobody knows (or cares) that the potatos aren't really potatos. The harder part is snacks. If you get the kids on things like plain yogurt and cheese then later celery with peanut butter you should be ok. Hubby can always get his carb fix outside the house if he needs to. The only thing to be careful of is if you serve high fat dinners and DH eats lots of carbs also, he gets the worst of both worlds.

nikkil
Tue, Mar-16-04, 02:51
I'm the only one LCing in my house. I have my husband (6'5", 190 lbs :rolleyes: ) and we have 3 sons: oldest (14 y.o., 6' tall, 130 lbs), middle (13 y.o., 5'6", 110lbs), and youngest (6 y.o., 4'3", 55 lbs).... :lol: :lol: :lol: They are all eating machines and they do eat a lot of carbs--cereal, toast, sandwiches, pasta.

Anyway, at first I just made stuff like the quick rice, pasta pouches--the quick, 2-step stuff, Kraft Dinner--I was just too worried that I would give in to cravings. When I finally bought a sack of potatoes my DH was soooo happy :p He loves potatoes and was really missing them. Now, I'm not tempted by any of those carby side dishes and I make all kinds of stuff that I'm not going to eat. It just doesn't bother me. As for the high-fat with high-carb side dishes, I don't use a lot of fat in my cooking for the family and just add some on mine (ie-dip chicken in mayo, butter on my veggies, extra cheese on my bunless burger...). I've made fauxtatoes for me and real potatoes for the rest of the family and they couldn't even tell by looking at them. They thought I was eating the exact same meal :lol: Sometimes I make LC meals for everybody and they don't even miss the carbs--tonight I made "Breakfast for Dinner" (which my 6 y.o. LOVES), scrambled eggs, bacon and green beans...had to get the veggies in there and didn't feel like having salad...

Anyway, hope SOMETHING from this rambling post helps :lol:

rosey1
Tue, Mar-16-04, 19:25
i have 2 kids and a Dh, DH is 6 feet and 170 pounds. kids are both skinny too. i make low carb meals for all of us on some days, and other days i add in some of the carby foods for them.
my youngest, 2yr old, probably eats about 5 bites of food a day. they like eating muffins, and crackers, and fruit roll ups. all the usual kid foods. i have gotten over the cravings for these foods, so it doesn't bother me when they have it. (if it were chocolate..thats a whole nother story) i have started cutting back on their sugar intake and some of the junk. i know it can be hard at times reaching in a pringles can or something to give to your kids and not having one.

teresamay
Wed, Mar-17-04, 09:22
I have a 2.5 year old, and when I cook meals, I make her the carbs, but only a single portion full - I can pretty much guess how much she will eat, and only cook enough to go on her plate, otherwise, for snacks, she gets cheese, fruits, cheerios, crackers, the usual stuff....if she gets a "treat" it is when we are out, adn it is a single serving, so none of it is at home and in my face..

samplergrl
Wed, Mar-17-04, 20:26
Even before starting Atkins, I was committed to providing my 4 year old healthy foods. She mainly eats meats, dairy, vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. Under normal circumstances I don't allow her to have juice, sugar, potatoes, white rice and pasta, or any products containing trans fats. However, I do relax the rules a bit during special occasions and holidays. My husband isn't low carbing but I don't cook anything special for him. If he wants high carb foods he has to make them himself. My husband is thin but I figure he's an adult and can take care of himself.

LadyBelle
Sun, Mar-21-04, 18:01
I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. I let them have some nacks and sweets becaus eI think i fI totally forbid them they will go overboard when they do get some. Right now my son can have 2 bites of a cookie, announce he's done, and throw the rest away.

Right now I just feed them what I'm having, unless it is something spicy or otherwise "weird". The baby eats her veggies, but with the 4 year old it's either a battle or lost cause. They both enjoy meats and for snacks we have fresh frut or peanut butter aorund.

If I do get them soemthing more moderate carb, I'll just get enough for them so I'm not tempted. Kids thier age need fat for brain growth anyway. I don't belive rice or potatoes have enough nutrients to justify going through the troubleof bothering to make them. I may make them some pasta at times or such, but that's occasionaly. I doubt theywould eat rice or potatoes anyway.

Instead thier carbs come from fruits, yogurt, milk, cheerios (multigrain, it has a 100% of alot of nutrients), peanut butter, LC tortillas, iron kids bread, and so on. Things that don't take alot of cooking and I don't suffer form left overs or temptation to share. Kids may need more carbs then someone trying to lose weight, but they don't need a constant diet of sugar and starch or elaborate meals prepared.

MrsManiac
Tue, Mar-23-04, 18:41
Boy, this is a question I get hit with all the time!! People always want to know what I feed my kids for snacks. It's like they don't believe I actually give them vegetables, hard-boiled eggs, and fruit. The worst thing they get is boxed mac-n-cheese--they flat out will not eat hm lol!! My oldest gets a snack at school (we take turns providing snacks for the class). I'm not neurotic about the kids getting carbs, but I make a concentrated effort to not give them junk.

Dh is a shrimp lol!! But he likes this woe--he's a big "meat" guy and loves having meat all the time. He likes potatoes and fortunately I can make just enough for him and the kids without being tempted myself. I always have other options, just in case lol!!

myagenda
Fri, Mar-26-04, 18:26
I don't give my kids alot of sugar either. I was worried at first about not giving them and dh enough carbs since they don't have a weight issue. People always tell me I need to feed them more since they are so thin. For snacks though I let them have chex mix or crackers, plus they eat fruit, pizza,100% pure juice. With meals I will make rice or pasta for them. During induction I wouldn't make high carb foods for dinner but now it doesn't bother me. My kids also eat the schools lunch which is very high in carbs, so I don't worry too much now. I think they probably eat enough carbs but don't overdo it.

jbird
Wed, Mar-31-04, 12:42
Well the first two weeks have past and I've started to occasionally make carbs for DH. Like Zatarains rice mixes, biscuits and whatnot. My kids don't like meat or cheese so I'm sorta in a quaundry as to what to make them that isn't carbs. But I guess we'll see how it goes as their little taste buds change over time. Hopfully.

Jenny

Caatt
Thu, Apr-01-04, 15:37
I have a DH and two kids (4 and 13) myself. The first little bit I didn't want to make anything I was missing really but after not too long you adjust. I'm still at the 'carbs in a bag' (Sidekicks etc) stage but I bought some potatoes this week and I'll make the effort. Worst thing was the hubby's sweet tooth... it's insatiable but even that doesn't bother me anymore, I think it's all a matter of time. Honestly the thought of Skittles or M and M's isn't really appealing now.

I have been feeling weird about letting the kids have sweets now though, my littlest goes to daycare and I always let her have cookies or rice krispie treats or something like that but I'm thinking about changing her diet a little, she's at her 'I don't like that anymore' stage anyway:)

Good luck with things

Cat

nikkil
Thu, Apr-01-04, 17:39
Kids and hubby (DH is 6'5" and 190, DS1 is 14 yo, 6' and 130 lbs, DS2 is 13 yo, 5' 6" and 115 lbs, and DS3 is 6 yo, 4'4" and 55 lbs)...they eat all kinds of carby stuff.

The first couple of weeks they had instant stuff (potatoes, rice, pasta) because I don't like that stuff and was worried about temptation. NOW, I actually make whipped potatoes for them and it doesn't bother me a bit. The first time I made 'real' potatoes, DH says, with shock, "WHAT, carby food?!?!?!" He was VERY happy :lol: :lol: :lol: