PDA

View Full Version : I am new to the Kick Nic Club!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mel92
Wed, Mar-03-04, 06:58
Ok, where to start off... On March 11, 2002 I quit smoking for the first time in 12 years. I stayed quit for exactly 1 year and 4 months, AND had a baby during that time, until I had my debilitating cluster headaches return. I have now been smoking again for 7 months, that is, until last night. :wiggle: I read on here about someone who purchased the Smoke Away kit, and after talking it over with my husband, went out and bought it. My last cig was at 9pm last night, and I am happy to report, so far so good! It's weird, my cravings last for about 20 seconds, followed by complete calmness. This is absolutely wonderful, because when I try and quit cold turkey I get nasty anxiety attacks. WooHoo! It still takes some effort though because smoking is on my mind, but I try and find other stuff to do to occupy my time. Anyway, I will write more through the first day, and so on. Hopefully someone else can benefit of my experience.

Smoke free 10 hours and counting!!

:)melissa

toning_up
Thu, Mar-04-04, 05:23
Good for you Melissa! I am the SmokeAway person. I have definately found it the best way to quit. I really don't know what all those supplements did but they certainly seemed to have a calming effect. I ended up never using the Phase 2 pills because I just didn't feel I needed them.

I'm now a month out from quitting and the only time I even think of smoking now if the two times I've had a glass of wine with my husband. But with nothing in the house it was easy to resist the temptation and really, they were very mild cravings.

Keep lots of healthy LC snacks on hand.....

mel92
Thu, Mar-04-04, 10:27
Hi toning, thanks so much for inspiring me to quit! I have a couple questions, first, have you gained any weight since quitting? Second, how are you feeling now that you've been quit for a month? Have the cravings of wanting to smoke gone away and do you feel like you're not missing your best friend constantly? UGH!! If you can't tell, I am having a hard time here. I am so afraid I'm going to start up again AND gain weight that I've worked so hard at losing. :cry: Please tell me it gets better, I don't know how much longer I can hold on to this quit!

toning_up
Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:03
I quit 4 weeks into Atkins and I'd only lost 4 lbs. Since quitting I have lost another 3 lbs. I fully expected to truly stall for many months, but I'm really pleased the weight is very slowly still coming off.

A month in and I feel great. I have quit with gum before and the cravings remained for the full 3 months of the gum course. This time the worse craving were gone in 36 hours. By 72 hours I felt fine.

Now I get very occasional psychological cravings after dinner but they last no more than a few minutes. For the rest of the day, I don't even think about it.

This is amazing to me because I've quit 3 times before and gone back to it after 6 months.

This time I KNOW I won't because I feel totally different. I also know now it takes only ONE and you're back...no matter how well you try to fool yourself.

It WILL get better. By 72 hours you'll be feeling much calmer. Take it hour by hour for the first few days. Every hour is a victory.

Frances
Thu, Mar-04-04, 18:03
Did you really expect to put on weight or stall if you were already following the Atkins Diet? I thought that we put on weight because we start to eat more or we crave more....if Atkins works, and it does and we certainly aren't starving ourselves on Atkins, I wouldn't have thought putting on weight would be an issue...what do you both think?

Today is day 5 for me and well as cutting down on the wine intake because my weight loss is sooooooooo slow, and I feel great, it must have been the right time for me. This must be the most important thing for success.

Good luck to us all.

Frances

mel92
Thu, Mar-04-04, 18:16
Did you really expect to put on weight or stall if you were already following the Atkins Diet? I thought that we put on weight because we start to eat more or we crave more....if Atkins works, and it does and we certainly aren't starving ourselves on Atkins, I wouldn't have thought putting on weight would be an issue...what do you both think?

Oh man, I ALWAYS expect to gain weight when quitting! Mostly because of all the water retention and bloating. Also, sometimes I have a tendency to overeat past me being full after quitting. I need to work on my emotional eating tendencies more in order NOT to put on the pounds.

BTW, Congrats Frances on your quit!!! Lookin good!;)

Melissa

toning_up
Thu, Mar-04-04, 18:34
yes...I really did expect to at least stall. When you quit smoking you metabolism slows a little, also, you are still insulin resistant from the smoking for a few more weeks. (smokers are known to be more insulin resistant than the normal population)

By about 8 weeks, you are becoming more insulin sensitive again and weightloss should (hopefully) speed up then.

Frances
Thu, Mar-04-04, 18:38
I didn't know about the insulin resistance of smokers.......glad you told me....we'll I've been stall for ever anyway so what's a few more weeks......as long as it will eventually start to move.

mel92
Fri, Mar-05-04, 09:31
Well, Day 3 here and it seems to be getting easier compared to Day 2! I know it takes 72hrs for the nicotine to get out of your system, and I'm at the tail end of that right now, YAHOO!! I really do believe the Smoke Away takes away much of the panicky feelings you'd get by going cold turkey. I am going to finish out the bottle, and I will probably use Formula 2 also just to help cement my quit better.
---
2d 12:41 smoke-free, 41 cigs not smoked, $7.15 saved, 3:25 life saved!!!!

Yay Me!! :)

mel92
Fri, Mar-05-04, 13:32
Oh my God I could just kick myself in the ass right now!!! I broke down and had 2 puffs off a butt I had in the car. I am SUCH an addict it's disgusting!!! BUTTTTTTTTTTT, even as I sit here an write this in tears, I WILL NOT smoke anymore!!!!! I WILL NOT buy any cigs and I WILL NOT let my addiction get the best of me dammit!!!!!

Sorry, I needed to vent!!!!!!

IAMALOSER
Fri, Mar-05-04, 15:58
i am going to try and quit on Monday.. that gives me the weekend to get ready for this big step. i am going to go cold turkey.. but after losing 43 pounds i want to do this and in April i am doing a 5k with work and i know that i cant do it with out quitting smoking. so any help will be great.

mel92
Fri, Mar-05-04, 17:34
Debi, if there is anything I can help you with, just ask!!! Also, here is a message board I use for support for quitting smoking: http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/76750

Check out this webiste too, it has been my saving grace! http://www.roofchek.com/quitsmoking/

ricky47
Sun, Mar-14-04, 06:21
hey mel, Ricky here...looking at day 14, and up nearly 5#'s I don't know that mine is from insulin or such, because I have been eating a lot of sugar free candy that are still 50 calories a pop...that adds up fast. Also,still chewing the gum - SO hard that my tounge is sore.
Yes,I have puffed on left over butts too...but there are no more and I felt just as disgusted as you did, seeing how low I will go for a puff.
I'm going to subscribe to your thread Mel, it seems we have a lot in common Is your dob 8/17 too?

mel92
Sun, Mar-14-04, 07:44
Hi Ricky!!! Don't you worry about those 5#'s!!!! They WILL come off eventually, the weight gain is temporary. Just don't let your cravings dictate what you put in your mouth. If you have a health food store near you, I suggest looking there for some Tea Tree Chewing Sticks to pop in your mouth when you're craving a smoke. I would try to stay away from the SF candy because it can cause an insulin spike in some people. I too, am chewing lots of gum (Extra brand). Anyways, you're doing great!!!!! :thup: And yes, my birthday is Aug.17th too! Small world, eh?

:)mel

Frances
Mon, Mar-15-04, 15:45
........still going strong......

Haven't gained anymore than the 2kilo's which must equal about 5lbs....if it stays this way I'm not unhappy.

I can't believe it's been so easy (touch wood).......

BlitzedAng
Thu, May-20-04, 06:07
March 11th was the day my father passed away from smoking years ago. That will allways be in my mind.

BlitzedAng
Sat, May-22-04, 08:48
Lastnight 10pm, last ciggerette. Today is day 1 of the rest of my life.