PDA

View Full Version : Trace route utility

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tamarian
Sat, Aug-18-01, 19:31
Trace route is a utility to detect the route your connection take to reach any other network point, like a web site. I thought I'll describe it for some members in case they want to report any connection problems.

What is it good for? Basically it can easily tell if the problem is from your ISP provider, or the web site you are having a problem reaching.

1. Download this tool from:
http://www.nessoft.com/pingplotter/download.html Make sure, you choose the bottom one marked (FreeWare) unless you want to purchase the other versions (Shareware)

2. Install and run

3. Type in the URL of the web site you want to investigate (example, forum.lowcarber.org)

4. It will list several nodes, depending on how far you are from the web site

5. If the route stops at the first 3 nodes or so, the problem is from your ISP, you may want to contact them for support.. If the connection stops at the end, just before the site in question, then the problem most likely is related to the network where the web site resides.

Q. How do I report the problem to the web site?

A. Clcik "Edit" and "Copy as text" and paste the text in an email and send it to report the problem.

NOTE: DO NOT post the text in a public forum or message board. The information will reveal your IP and route which is not advisable.