PDA

View Full Version : At Home TSH Thyroid Testing

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tyronepatt
Sat, Feb-21-04, 01:28
Hi all I've been trying the atkins plan for a very long time and nothing seems to work. I've done the fat, egg, meat fast and Nothing I tried going the normal route and nothing. Well it is about time for me to have my thyroid tested. I decieded to go with the at home TSH test because it's less expensive then paying a lab to do it (currently no health insurance). So my question is this. Do I have to fast or not eat anything so long before I do this test. I've been having people telling me I have to. It doesnt say anything in the directions. But people tell me that they had to when they went to the docters. In my uneducated wisdom ;-) I would thing that if a person fasts there metabolism would start to shut down to safe energy and the test would not be accurate. Anyway I would appreciate if anyone could shed some let on this. I wont do the test until I hear something. thanks and god bless you all.

Paleoanth
Sat, Feb-21-04, 11:11
The last time I had my thyroid checked, I asked them about this. They said that fasting was not required-only for blood sugar/cholesterol stuff. So, I would think it is OK to eat before.

lowcarbjo
Sat, Feb-21-04, 13:29
Hi...I've never heard of an at home test but I do know that fasting depends on the type of test. I had Thyroid cancer and had the whole thing removed so I get various blood tests monthly. You do not need to fast for a TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) level but they do recommend a 12hr fast for a Free T3 and a Free T4...I guess certain foods can elevate or mask actual levels of these hormones. I didn't eat from 8pm until I had the test at 9am the next day. How accurate is a home test and what does it measure?? Hope the info helps, good luck.. :roll:

tyronepatt
Sat, Feb-21-04, 15:28
It measures the TSH. I don't know how accurate it is. They state it's just as accurate as a lab. prick your finger but a few droplets in this device and send it to there lab. Results in a week.