PDA

View Full Version : Help here please???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

WeeOne
Wed, Feb-11-04, 18:25
I have been doing Atkins for a while know, haven't lost much but I feel really good. I thumbed through a SB book at Costco and have been thinking about giving it a read. I have read a lot here and printed the phase 1 food list but I have some questions.

Did anyone go from Atkins to SB and eat beans the first 2 weeks? How did it afffect your body. I haven't had any bread, sugar, beans, ANYTHING forbidden on Atkins since Christmas. I'm afraid I'm going to feel sick or screw my body up again.

I just feel that this WOE might be better for me and my DH, he doesn't follow Atkins to the letter and I think it might be doing him more damage. I think that the SB is a little more forgiving if you cheat, not for weight loss, but for your over all health. (hope that makes sense) I'm not knocking Atkins I know it works, but for my DH I think the SB approach might be better for him.

Does anyone eat fatty meats, or chicken skin. We really like to have hot wings once a week and I like to make pork ribs once a month or so. Would it be OK to get your fats from these sources every once in a while.

Do you get to eat regular salad dressings? I know it is 3 grams of sugar or less but just curious if fat content matters.

Can you eat regular cheese or does it HAVE to be LF. If we start this WOE I dont want to have to waste everything that I have already. I don't mind 2% LF Cheese so I would buy that after the rest is gone.

Thanks I plan on getting the book this weekend and giving it a good read. (I bought it today and I am currently reading it)

Wee

Glenda
Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:17
HI Wee. I will give you my opinion on these questions, but I am only in my second week of Phase 1. All is going well, and I lost 7 pounds the first week, but expect that to slow this week. I never bought the book, but did borrow it from a friend, and you can get the exact same information on the internet if you look around. There are lots of websites for south Beach.
Yes, I have eaten beans. I made chili the other night with ground beef, onions, celery, black beans and kidney beans. Tasted great and everyone loved it. That is the only night that I have had beans. I am continuing to use the food that I have left in the house. I have salad dressings in the house that I am continuing to use, and once they are done, I will go to the light dressings. Same with cheese. I had quite a bit of regular cheese, and just keep using it. Fatty meats- can't answer that question. I know you aren't supposed to eat them, only lean cuts, and only white meat with chicken and turkey I think. You will have to use your own judgement on that. Everyone is differnet and things may affect theym way differently than they will another person.
Keep it up!!!

Glenda

WeeOne
Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:34
Thanks Glenda, I went to Costco last night and I bought the book.
I'm not a fatty meat eater anyways so that part shouldn't be a problem. Hot wings is my downfall, but we only have them a couple times a month so like you said I will use my best judgement.

The only mention on dressings that I have read so far is that it should not have any more than 3 grams of sugar. I didn't see it mention that it had to be low fat. I don't mind some of the LF dressings, but when eating out that will be a little difficult.

Thanks, congrats on your weighl loss!

Wee

pstar
Thu, Feb-12-04, 12:22
Hi WeeOne

I'm a virgin, I've never been on Atkins or any other plan.

I'm on day 35 doing SB...I'm down about 17#. I stayed on Phase I for three weeks. I've learned to be very careful about the added in food items for Phase II. I add them back 1 at a time and then try to gage the effect on weight loss and how I feel.

I've really haven't eaten any fatty meats other than some summer sausage a few times and one hotdog. I don't think it affected my weight loss. We usually have chicken breast, ham, lean steak, lean ground beef. I've had crab and other seafood several times.

I don't care for LF cheese...when I have cheese (two or three times a week) I have smaller portions of quality cheddar or string cheese.

I haven't worried too much about the fat in salad dressing...I do make sure it has no sugar. Once again, I only use enough to do the job.

I've had beans several times but had no pinto beans during Phase I.

The main things I concentrate on are having no sugar, candy, cookies, cake, potatos, white bread/flour, pasta, white rice, etc.

I agree with Glenda when she says everyone is different. I think this plan is designed to really make us think about what and/or why we are eating different foods.

The thing I try to remember is that if I try a food and it slows or stops my weight loss I can eliminate it and see if it makes a difference. I've done this several times since starting. I view this as a process that may take a long time before I learn what to eat, in what amount and how often. It's a journey I hope will lead me to healthy life style and WOE.