PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here...try this! Reminds me of McGriddles :o)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lilgizmo
Sat, Feb-07-04, 13:19
Hilo!

I am a former low carber. Well, I am back to this WOL. I was just diagnosed with diabetes, and have been restricting my carbs. I know some ppl really restrict carbs. I have been trying to keep mine as low as possible, and trying to go as low fat as I can. I have lost 9 pounds since my diagnosis on Jan 27, 2004. (12 days ago) I found some bread that may not be as low carb as some would like, but it is good! The effective carb count is 6 grams/slice. It has 35 cal. in a slice and very little fat. It is called "Helathy Life" and I found it at super Wal-Mart. It comes in different kinds, but I am a die-hard white bread craver ;oP Anyhoo...here is what I had for breakfast...If you want to lower your carb count, use your fave low carb bread.

Prepare your bacon or sausage, as you prefer.
Then...

For the "Griddle cake" part:
2 slices low carb bread
1/4 c egg beaters (I use b/c I am trying lowfat)
1/2 t. splenda (adjust to your taste)
a drop of low fat milk or half n half
few drops of maple flavoring

Make your french toast (griddle cake) as you normally would. I use no stick spray.

When finished, cook your egg beaters (or egg, if you wish) in an omelette fashion, folding it to "fit" on top of your griddle cake.
Lay a slice of your fave cheese on top, then the bacon or sausage. Then I put a few drops of SpringTree brand SF low cal syrup. (I know this sounds gross to some, but it is very tasty!) Then put on your top "cake" It is yum chum a lum good!

Counts:
LC bread:
70 cal.
12 g carb
----------
1/2 c. total of egg beater:
60 cal.
2 g carb
----------
cheese slice: (I use Kraft american)
70 cal.
2 g carb
----------
2 slices Bacon: (I use Oscar Mayer precooked)
60 cal.
0 carb
-----------
Syrup: few drops prolly has 0 b/c 1/4 cup has only 30 cal. 0 carb!
but lets just say 10 cal., in case you like a lil' more!
------------
Total calories:
Total carb:
Total Fat:
10.5 grams

That's it! Not too bad for a VERY filling breakfast, or could be a brunch!
BTW....The SpringTree SF Low Cal syrup is THE BEST I have tried. It is hard to believe it is sugar free...A lil' goes a long way. You can find at Super Wally World :)

leasmom
Tue, Feb-10-04, 14:59
I like this!!! I found that if I buy some wheat bread-(some, you have to check)-some of them are lower in carbs than many of the other low carb breads...and cost at less. I will eat 1 slice of bread if I have been very good with my carbs. So, this would be perfect for me!!!

leshaimors
Tue, Feb-10-04, 17:02
for those of us who are not as cautious with fat intake here's another idea:

mix 4 oz. softened cream cheese, 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons splenda and about 1/4 tsp. cinnamon til smooth. cook like pancakes in a nonstick skillet on medium heat being very careful when flipping not to tear them. the smaller you make them the less fragile they will be. slap a piece of sausage between 2 of these and you've got you a faux McGriddle! I've never tried dipping it in SF syrup but i'm sure that would just really top it off!

hope you enjoy this idea!

leasmom
Tue, Feb-10-04, 18:37
ooh, lots of ideals, how cool!!! I'm getting too old to say cool, but I do it anyway-LOL!

lilgizmo
Wed, Feb-11-04, 09:46
I also found these mini pancakes...Now I know...some will not let refined flour cross their lips, but to those who don't mind a small indulgence :wiggle: These mini pancakes are very good, very quick in micro, and can be fit into the locarb diet at some point in time. They are made by "Krusteaz" and can be found at Wally-World in the frozen section. 6 minis are a serving, and the ECC is 21. That is 3.5 carbs/mini. I used 4, which made 2 mini "McGriddles" Still very yummy, and 14g of carb, which is considered ONE serving from the "Bread" group. Very good with peanut butter and SF syrup too!
Have a great day!
Kelly

leasmom
Wed, Feb-11-04, 09:55
I've seen that mix at Wally World. Cool!!!

leshaimors
Wed, Feb-11-04, 10:17
i had an idea while grocery shopping last night and decided to put it to the test--i stirred in about 1/4 cup mashed fresh blueberries and omitted the cinnamon in my pancake recipe. this morning i put fried some sausage and put it between two of the mini's and voila! it was scrumptious!

lilgizmo
Wed, Feb-11-04, 13:23
Oh yeah! I love blueberries...especially in pancakes and muffins ;o) betcha they were pretty, too!
Toodles...
Kelly

lilgizmo
Wed, Feb-11-04, 13:26
These were actually already made into teeny lil' pancakes. No mixing required. They are in the frozen breakfast section :yay:

Toodles...
Kelly

leshaimors
Wed, Feb-11-04, 14:51
i think i've purchased those before as snacks for my children. the idea of not having to mix batter is wonderful in theory, but i'm pretty new into this and am really trying to watch those carbs! you should really try the blueberry thing--it is fantastic--and no sf syrup was needed!

LeShai

lilgizmo
Wed, Feb-11-04, 17:22
Okie dokie! I will try the blueberry thingies! Like I said, I love blueberries, and PURPLE is my fave color! :wiggle:
I'll let you know how we like em...
Have wonderful evening!
~*Kelly*~
BTW...any idea on the carb count for these?

leshaimors
Thu, Feb-12-04, 09:26
i don't really count carbs, just sugars, so i'm sorry to say that i do not have a carb count. i've never attempted to get a count on fitday or any of the other sites, would not even know where to start! if you figure it out let me know though--
Leshai