PDA

View Full Version : Spotting while on bc?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kath310
Fri, Jan-30-04, 23:07
Hi! :D

My name's Kath and I was diagnosed with PCOS in 1995. Since I didn't want to start a family at that time anyway, my doc prescribed bc pills to regulate my period. Without my bc pills, I don't get a period at all. (I know, I stopped taking them because of the major mood swings I was having...now I'm on a different pill) ...Anyway, I've been as regular as you can be since 1999 (when I went back on the pills) and I've been lc'ing since Jan 11.

Today, out of nowhere, I started spotting and cramping. I've noticed a few other posts about this happening, just wonder if anyone can shed any light on the fact that I'm on bc while this is happening. I read kittyree's post, but I don't know if I'm ovulating or not (I should be getting my regular period in about 12 days or so).

I don't want to panic, just wondering if anyone else on bc has experienced this too.

Thanks in advance!! :roll:

kath310
Sun, Feb-08-04, 21:46
Just as an update....my "spotting" turned into a full blown cycle. It endd Friday, the 6th....but now with my bc cycle, I'm due for my TOM on Weds-Thurs!

I'm hoping this was just a one-time fluke because I'm new to the program! Really don't want to have my TOM every 2 weeks! :rolleyes:

Thanks for letting me share...I'd be interested to know if anyone else had the same experience. :)

WendyLynn
Tue, Feb-10-04, 10:06
hey ladies, I love this forum and all of the support here BUT when you have a medical question CALL THE DOCTOR! That is what we pay such high prices for when we visit. It covers the calls inbetween. First get a qualified medical opinion THEN ask the other women how they handle it. Supporting one another is vital and extremely helpful but why not get piece of mind and possibly medical intervention if needed by calling the doctor?

kath310
Thu, Feb-19-04, 09:35
WendyLynn,

Thanks for your concern. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this. I got my answer on another thread though.

I'm in Canada; I don't pay to go to the doctor. I just don't have time to book an appointment to go and wanted to see if this was "common."

nursey15
Mon, Feb-23-04, 06:51
Actually it is very common. Since this is the first month of your TOM on this WOE, I would wait to see if things streighten up next month. I've been doing this now 3 cycles, and am also on BCP's and I've kinda been screwed up all 3 months.

Fat cells hold estrogen, when you lose weight you release more estrogen, hence possibility of spotting and early TOM.

If I start early I just restart a pack on sunday just as I would have if it was truely the right day to start. The choice is your's since you had a full blown TOM it won't hurt anything. This month I should have started today, but I started last week on wednesday. I usually only bleed for 3 days max. but this month I'm still bleeding pretty heavely after 5 days. I'm not concerned. I know I'm not preg. and I know I have no other health problems. (just had a pap last month) If it would go beyond 7 days then I would get concerned.

I agree I don't run or call the doctor every whip stitch of a glitch in my daily or monthly routines. Of course I'm a nurse so that makes things a little different because I understand the body and it's workings, BUT this is VERY common when first starting this WOE, especially since I see you have lost 20 pounds since starting! Congrats!

If any problems persist then by all means call the DOC!

kath310
Wed, Feb-25-04, 15:29
Nursey15,

Thanks for your response! I ended up getting my regular TOM as scheduled (I didn't change my pills....I just stayed on course even though I had my TOM during...or rather, I didn't start over on Sunday as you do) ....I'm in week 2 of my pills now, and no sign of another TOM. I just felt bad for DH! I didn't want to worry him needlessly (he's a hypochondriac anyway!)

Thanks for the info about fat cells releasing estrogen...that's very interesting!

Thanks again, and I hope your cycle makes up its mind too!! :)