PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Cream - Carnation Canned Thick Cream

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bonnie
Tue, Aug-14-01, 10:58
Just wanted to mention this product since we can easily access it here in Canada.

Info found about this cream:

" Carnation makes a canned thick cream that's very versatile! It has a 25% milk fat content, so it's a "light cream"...this can be stocked in your pantry and you need never be out when you need to make a white sauce, a cream gravy, a smooth soup, or a quick pour-over for fresh berries.

For sweet condensed milk take two cans (each contains about 3/4 cup) and heat them with a mixture of Splenda and Diabetisweet until it is reduced by about 30% and is quite thick. This worked really well and baked beautifully into a pumpkin pie. We also melted a bar of low-carb dark chocolate and blended it into a bit of the canned thick cream. It made a lovely frosting.

Each can contains about 5 grams of carbs and contains only sterilized cream and sodium citrate. It's a product of Holland; distributed chiefly in Canada and can be found there in nearly all groceries. "

Bonnie

Natrushka
Tue, Aug-14-01, 11:08
Thanks, Bonnie. You wouldn't happen to be familiar with Danish Thick Cream would you? This sounds like it might be quite similar. I am going to go scour the grocery stores tonight.

Nat

Ophelia
Tue, Aug-14-01, 12:21
Bonnie, jus wondering how much sweetener you used for the two cans of thick cream to make the sweetened condensed milk.
thanks!

Bonnie
Tue, Aug-14-01, 12:22
Sorry Nat,

Even checked with hubby whose Mom was of Danish origin but we have no info on Danish Thick Cream...

Bonnie

Bonnie
Tue, Aug-14-01, 12:35
Originally posted by Ophelia
Bonnie, jus wondering how much sweetener you used for the two cans of thick cream to make the sweetened condensed milk.
thanks!

Ophelia,

Found this info about the Carnation Thick Cream on the net... I would suggest you go by taste adding a little of the combo of Splenda and Diabetisweet at a time until you reach the correct degree of sweetness for you personally..

Bonnie

Natrushka
Tue, Aug-14-01, 12:50
Thanks, Bonnie. I'm thinking Holland, Danish, cream, thick.... it HAS to be the same thing. From what I've been told this stuff isn't sweetened either.

I won't rest until I figure it out!

Nat

Natrushka
Wed, Aug-15-01, 06:26
Bingo. It's the same thing. Bought some last night at loblaws.

Thx again

Nat

Bonnie
Wed, Aug-15-01, 07:24
Glad to hear that Nat...now we both know..;)

Bonnie

sarahw.s
Wed, Nov-02-11, 10:41
Hi We are boaters and I would like to know where to purchase this Carnation Heavy Cream ????? Thanks, Sarah