PDA

View Full Version : First Day - I'm hungry!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LizSartre
Mon, Jan-26-04, 13:40
This is my first day on SB and I am HUNGRY! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong - if anything. Was hoping that some of you could take a look to see what I ate so far today and maybe make a few suggestions:

Breakfast: spinach omelette with nonfat swiss cheese and 2 slices of turkey bacon

Snack: Lowfat Polly-O String Cheese

Lunch: Tomato, Lowfat skim fresh mozzarella cheese, lettuce, sundried tomatoes, and roasted peppers on a bed of greens with French Vinaigrette Dressing (found the dressing in the supermarket - it's got no sugar or carbs in it and is made with all natural ingredients)

What am I doing wrong? I swear I never even eat breakfast and today I'm hungry. When I go home tonight I'll have another really tiny snack and then I'll probably make some grilled chicken with asparagus.

Any dessert ideas for the first day? Anything I can make quickly?

rezig
Mon, Jan-26-04, 13:49
you may want to try throwing some chicken or turkey into your salad. I always find I'm hungrier if I don't have any meat. I also find that to be the case with breakfast - if I throw in some turkey bacon or chicken sausage I find I stay fuller longer. Not sure of the science (if any) behind this, but it works for me.

mommatbird
Mon, Jan-26-04, 14:12
if you haven't read the book, please do so! It has several menus and recipies. It even has dessert ideas for this first phase. I must say that I am on day one as well but I am not hungry. Still, my hard time of the day has not arrived yet.
I agree with the above post. You should put some tuna or chicken into your salad.
Also, make up some SF jello to have with your lunch. Make sure to take your snacks with you!

steph32092
Mon, Jan-26-04, 15:01
And drink lots of water! I agree with both posts above. You need more protein and the book is a great help in planning your meals.

Good luck!

Boom
Mon, Jan-26-04, 15:02
You are not doing ANYTHING wrong! I was really hungry my first 3 days! I dont know why, but I was. Keep at it and you will find you become fuller quicker and are no longer hungry - stick to it!

LizSartre
Mon, Jan-26-04, 17:03
Thanks for the advice and all the friendly comments guys!

I ordered the book online and hopefully it will get here tomorrow - I didn't want to change my start date because I had motivated my mother (who really needs to lose some weight for health reasons) to start with me. It was really important to me to keep with that start date because as so many of us know, once you start saying, "I'll just wait one more day," those days become weeks and those weeks become months.

I guess part of me had assumed that we were getting all these tremendous amounts of protein from the eggs and cheese. Tomorrow I think I am going to throw some grilled chicken in there - maybe 1 large grilled chicken breast each.

Also, I found a GREAT salad dressing too - in case anyone was wondering. I'm pretty sure that it completely fits in with the plan - since it's mainly canola oil and vinegar based and has zero carbs and zero sugar. It's called "Brianna's Homestyle Real French Vinaigrette Dressing" and it's really delicious and goes well with almost anything. It was a tad pricey - I think I paid $3.99 for a small bottle. But I couldn't believe the nutrition labels when I went shopping! EVERYTHING has sugar and/or carbs.

Tonight I'm making some grilled onions, a roasted chicken with Rosemary and some broccoli for dinner. For dessert, we're doing the Jello thing. I think I have one snack left as well.

I can't wait to type up my journal entry for today before I go to bed. I really will feel like I've accomplished something!

Bill L
Tue, Jan-27-04, 15:50
I was starving during the entire first week!

But, I was cutting my calorie intake from 4000 to 2000!

Be sure to read the book. The tomatoes are not a good idea during Phase 1. Same with carrots and most fruits.

Be sure you are eating 6 times per day.

Breakfast
Mid-morning snack
Lunch
Mid-afternoon snack
Dinner
Evening snack.

Bill..........310/268/225.........day 80 on South Beach

LizSartre
Tue, Jan-27-04, 17:48
No tomato? Well I just royally screwed up on lunch and dinner :cry:

I haven't touched a carrot yet.

I ordered the book and it hasn't come yet. It was supposed to come today. This is the last thing I order online ever again. I'm so angry.

I'm feeling a little dizzy today and fairly lethargic. Last night I was exhausted too. This diet isn't really making me feel better at all - I have no energy and I feel almost...drunk. Also my stomach hurts and I have a really bad headache.

CakkyDoodl
Tue, Jan-27-04, 19:03
?? I thought tomatoes were on the "enjoy" list for Phase 1, up to one per meal?

I would personally eat some beans or get in some milk or yogurt too. These are low GI carbs on the "enjoy" list and may make you more comfortable.

LizSartre
Tue, Jan-27-04, 19:16
Well my throat is sore and my glands are swollen. I'm sick! It isn't the diet - I came down with something!!!! I was starting to get scared my blood sugar was out of whack! I'm not chomping on godiva chocolates every night...so, you know...I immediately thought: IT'S GOTTA BE THE DIET!

About the beans, I thought of this today...but how much is too much when it comes to beans? What kinds of beans do you guys eat?

dcbrowne
Tue, Jan-27-04, 20:08
I agree that tomatoes are no longer on the avoid list for phase 1. I eat black beans, butter beans, chick peas, kidney beans, lentils-you name it. I like to add a little cheese to offset the carbs. For dinner I will add a 1/2 seving of whatever meat the family is eating. I usally eat one small can for a meal. They are also good mixed with a little lo fat gravy or pesto. I like to use cilantro walnut pesto (Trader Joes) and through in some walnuts.

CakkyDoodl
Tue, Jan-27-04, 20:12
See the food list to be sure, I think Donna listed all the good ones. I know Pinto Beans aren't on the enjoy list for P1.

I usually eat some meat with my beans, say fish, chicken, pork chop, and I'll eat one serving or maybe a little more. Sometimes I make a black bean chili recipe i found on www.foodtv.com and eat that as a side dish with meat. I like lima beans!

Bill L
Wed, Jan-28-04, 08:25
I agree that tomatoes are on the enjoy list for phase 1, but I keep it down to 1 slice per day, because they are high carb. Same with carrots.

doreen T
Wed, Jan-28-04, 11:15
The South Beach Diet Good Fats Good Carbs Guide is a very worthwhile investment, $7.99 US. Foods are listed by food group, with recommended portion sizes.

Tomatoes may be consumed up to one cup for fresh or half a cup for cooked/canned.

Not all beans are suitable for Phase 1. Some are higher glycemic and not permitted until Phase 2, such as pinto beans and black-eye peas. The portion size for beans is limited to half a cup though, because they're high in carbs.

Fats will provide satiety and round out your meals. In the program book, Dr. Agatston makes it very clear this is NOT a low fat diet .. you should use the allowed fats and oils liberally. Mix extra olive oil with your salad dressing, and add some sliced avocado. Nuts such as almonds, macadamias and peanut butter are allowed during Phase 1 .. limit the serving to an ounce though because of the carbs.

hth,

Doreen

Emly
Thu, Jan-29-04, 23:48
Actually, according to an update on Jan 20th, 2004 there is no limit recommended on tomatoes. This comes from the Daily Dish, which is the South Beach Diet online daily newletter. There were also changes made to allowed dairy products. For more info and updates check out this link: http://www.mizfrogspad.com/south_beach_diet.htm
It lists the updates about halfway down the page.

snaggle
Fri, Jan-30-04, 00:14
What you are experiencing is not unusual if you are used to consuming a lot of carbs. After 2-3 days you should experience the best part of this WOL...reduced appetite and no cravings!

L10JOHNfan
Fri, Jan-30-04, 06:33
Thats a link I didn't have....lots of good ideas! Thanks for the heads up!:daizy:

Actually, according to an update on Jan 20th, 2004 there is no limit recommended on tomatoes. This comes from the Daily Dish, which is the South Beach Diet online daily newletter. There were also changes made to allowed dairy products. For more info and updates check out this link: http://www.mizfrogspad.com/south_beach_diet.htm
It lists the updates about halfway down the page.

BeastWoman
Tue, Feb-03-04, 13:53
I just started yesterday....and i felt hungry all day long too. I wanted to give up so badly, but my husband convinced me to stick to it for a couple of days to try it out. Well its day 2 and i'm actually not that hungry as i was yesterday. i think it was just the shock to my body. Crossing my fingers this will work for me! Good luck to all of you.

L10JOHNfan
Tue, Feb-03-04, 20:35
My first four days of the diet were really bad....I could have cried because I really am not much of a meat eater and I stayed hungry! The one thing that got me over the hump was sugar free Jello and some sugar free popcicles. I am really proud of myself tonight because I passed places in the mall that would have normally been a problem for me, but I had no urge to have any of the food offerings there. My teenage boys had pizza at Sbarro's and ate it at the table with me and I had no desire to even have it! I am not saying that there are not weak moments, but today I have had none!:sunny: Don't give up...it will pass! I have to say that I do have the best motivation. There is a guy in my office who is on Atkins and he looks great. He is the one who really sold me on the diet, but my doctor was the one who suggested it. I think I just need to see results because of all the failures I have had on different programs. If you need support, talk to someone or come here and read. It helps me all the time!:clap:
Good Luck!
I just started yesterday....and i felt hungry all day long too. I wanted to give up so badly, but my husband convinced me to stick to it for a couple of days to try it out. Well its day 2 and i'm actually not that hungry as i was yesterday. i think it was just the shock to my body. Crossing my fingers this will work for me! Good luck to all of you.