PDA

View Full Version : Hypo and soy

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

E4ellie
Sat, Jan-24-04, 22:37
Hi Folks!

I was wondering if anyone here had taken soy out of their diets and if so was it helping with the weight loss and hypothyroidism's symptoms? I have read a lot lately about the adverse effects of soy and thyroids. My pantry was full of lo carb stuff that contained soy and I have only lost 2 pounds in almost a month.

Thanks
Ellie

Coco081392
Tue, Jan-18-05, 10:18
I can only tell you that from my experience with doing lc and having hypothyroidism that I avoid all products with soy. I found that it was keeping me from loosing weight.

Someone told me the best way to do lc is to keep it real. So I try to avoid the lc snacks and most lc products because of that.

I also started reading lables very closely to see if they contain soy. If they do I put the product back on the shelve and look for something else.

Hope this helps, but only you will be able to determine if it is affecting you.

Good Luck with your weight loss. :D

Natrushka
Tue, Jan-18-05, 10:54
Unfermented soy is poison to hypoT's - no ifs ands or buts. It suppresses thyroid function via both its goitrogens and phytoestrogens. It works so well that it is often used for hyperthyroid patients to help relieve some of their symptoms. One study on human subjects who consumed just one ounce of unfermented soy per day for three months showed depressed thyroid function, with some of them developing goiters. They all returned to normal after discontinuing the soy.

Here is a pretty detailed interview on Soy at thyroid.about.com:

http://thyroid.about.com/od/bookssupportresources/a/barbeeinterview_2.htm

curly
Tue, Jan-18-05, 11:28
soy kills me. i notice a significant drop in energy within an hour after consuming it. it is definately poison for me, and i'm glad to be rid of it. but you have to be careful, it's in everything!! read those labels carefully.

Amanda7373
Tue, Mar-08-05, 16:11
hey:o) when i first started on the atkins diet about a year ago i was so thrilled to be able to eat the low carb bars and soforth, BUT becuase of my underactive thyroid, i GAINED 15 LBS! SO, i totally cut out soy and now i am losing weight. I also make sure that i work out alot too. so that helps.
hope that helped you some. Amanda