PDA

View Full Version : Kohlrabi: A crunchy snack idea.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MrEWorm
Tue, Jan-20-04, 22:34
I was wanting something crunchy to snack on and I came up with this idea. I peeled a fresh, raw, Kohlrabi and cut it into 3/8 inch square strips. With a little salt sprinkled on they have a sweet and salty taste and they are crunchy. They are on the approved vegetable list.
I have heard people call them "Garden Apples", now I know why.

Karen
Wed, Jan-21-04, 01:39
Great idea! Kohlrabi is wonderful when it's really fresh and crunchy. Sadly, it's hard to get really nice ones here in Vancouver. Kohlrabi are lightyears ahead of turnip as far as taste and texture go!

I had the good fortune to get some really nice ones in Amsterdam. They were so delicious that I had a few slices for lunch with some cheese and salami. The rest I dippped in butter, then Parmesan and roasted them for dinner. :yum:

Karen

Sccuffy
Sat, Jan-24-04, 21:19
They grow great here in the lowermainland, I had a bumper crop last summer, some are still even in the ground now.

Sccuffy

Karen
Sat, Jan-24-04, 22:08
Lucky you! The only ones I can find are pretty miserable except at the farmers market in the summer.

Karen

rose7
Tue, Jan-27-04, 20:55
I saw some at the supermarket and regret not getting them :( . Does anyone know the carb count for those?

Is there such thing as eating too much veggies? :lol: As I'm finding all these wonderful veggies I never knew about, I find myself eating so many servings. I just fell in love with turnips and radishes! :p

Rose

rose7
Tue, Jan-27-04, 20:57
I also thought jicamas were wonderful as a 'raw & crunchy' snack. :)

DebPenny
Thu, Feb-19-04, 16:04
How do you choose a good kolrabi?

Kristine
Sun, Feb-22-04, 14:42
How do you choose a good kolrabi?

I had the same question - my grocery store just got some in. I was afraid to buy it until I figured out whether or not they were any good.

According to aboutproduce.com: "Choose kohlrabi with smooth bulbs that are free of cracks or visible fibers. Attached leaves should be fresh, firm, and green. Small to medium bulbs are best."

HTH. :)

Kristine
Mon, Mar-01-04, 09:58
I tried some kohlrabi last week and it was a hit. :thup: The inside of the bulby stems tasted like broccoli stalks. I sliced and boiled them for 15 minutes and they were nearly perfect mock buttered potatoes. :yum: The greens were a little bitter, but not bad with some garlic and parmesan cheese.

I'll definitely buy it again when it's in season and the price comes down. :thup:

jeanyyy
Tue, Mar-02-04, 20:49
I tried my first kohlrabi tonight too... Just boiled it and mashed with butter. I think it makes an even better "mashed" than cauliflower!

vixen69
Sun, Apr-11-04, 01:51
I love kolhrabi raw. I grew up eating green and red variety. The red ones had a bit more of a zing, almost like raddish.

Birddog
Fri, Jun-04-04, 12:48
These sound so that I am going to give these a try if I can find them around here. :D