PDA

View Full Version : Italian Chicken Soup/Stew (crockpot recipe)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Alopex
Tue, Jan-20-04, 13:03
Another gem adapted from my Mom's recipe collection. :) This was originally for turkey (but who keeps turkey thighs on hand?) and I've added more veggies and made it into more of a stew than the turkey entree it was originally. Hubby LOVES this (and so do I!), and it's perfect to come home to on a cold winter evening.

2 lbs. chicken thighs, boneless, cut into chunks
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 T tomato paste
1 T Italian herbs
1-2 cloves of garlic
1 onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 c. carrots, chopped (if desired)
1 c. cabbage, chopped (if desired)
2 c. zucchini, sliced
additional liquid to thin to desired consistency (I save and freeze the juice every time I use diced tomatoes in chili or whatever, so that's what I use)

Place vegetables except zucchini in crock, then chicken on top. Combine tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs and garlic, pour over chicken. Cook on low 6-8 hours. About half an hour before serving, stir in zucchini and additional liquid, if desired. Cook 20-30 more minutes, or until zucchini is tender.

Enjoy!

justcindy
Wed, Jan-21-04, 19:30
I just got a crockpot and this recipe looks soooo good!!! Been craving soup with the bitter cold here lately so thank you for the recipe!
~Cindy