PDA

View Full Version : calories & body weight

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

vbrowne
Mon, Jan-19-04, 13:00
Hi everyone: I am on day 1 of SB -- I think I'm going to like it, although I have an "Atkins Brain", so it's a different kind of learning for me. I am confused about something though. Atkins wants you to eat 10 - 12x your body weight in calories, but when I entered my daily food intake into fitday.com, I'm only at 1083 calories for the whole day, won't that slow my weight loss down due to "starvation mode"? I know in the past that calorie reduction was the way to lose weight, but now there are so many opposing views. Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

Thanks, Vikki

vbrowne
Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:29
I'm bumping my question

gawdess
Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:46
The way I calculated my calories is took my goal weight and multiplied it by 10, then added the goal weight to that number...

149 * 10 = 1490 calories +149 = 1639 calories per day.

vbrowne
Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:47
So I should definately be eating more, right?

Vikki

Judi B.
Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:09
I personally think that 1089 (i forgot your exact caloric intake) is too low. I still have the "Atkins" mindset too but I still keep at around 1200-1500 cals per day. I'm on phase 2 and just got some 100% whole wheat pasta and can't wait to have a serving!!!!

Good luck!
Judi

vbrowne
Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:12
I agree, 1089 calories is too low (judging by my headache this morning). I'm going to keep the same levels as you and see what happens, 1800+ calories is too much for me to consume in a day -- I'm still humming and hahing about which plan to go with, I'm so used to Atkins and so scared about not doing well on SB.

Vikki

gawdess
Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:16
I would say you are definetly too low...For 140 as a goal weight I would estimate you should consume roughly

140*10=1400 + 140 = 1540 calories

vbrowne
Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:18
Today I'm at 1549 with 21 grams of carbs, so I'll try to stick around there. Thanks again.

Vikki

Judi B.
Tue, Jan-20-04, 15:58
vicky,
I think you are right on target with 1500 cals! BUT remember, you can have black beans and other "good" carbs so don't be afraid to up your carbs a bit!
Check out the allowed foods in the book or the prevention web site.
Good luck!
Judi