PDA

View Full Version : South Beach Meal Ideas

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gawdess
Fri, Jan-16-04, 12:21
I am thinking that it is going to be hard to post our recipes in the regular forum as we can inclue rice,pasta,oats etc. Should we just start a Meal planning or menu thread? Lets post some of the meals we are eating. I know I need some ideas.

Today is officially my first day so my meals are pretty boring. I ate 3 eggs for breakfast , Had a cobb salad for lunch , and am having some all bran with low carb milk for dinner. Snacks were a low carb protein bar and some pecans.

vbrowne
Fri, Jan-16-04, 12:30
I'm starting on Sunday, but I didn't think you could have cereal until Phase II?

Vikki

Judi B.
Fri, Jan-16-04, 14:02
correct, grains, pasta cereal is for phase 2, to be indroduced gradually and check for cravings. But, from what I've been reading, if you have successfully completed Atkins Induction you can start on Phase 2 on Southbeach.

The premis is that your carb cravings should have stopped after 2 weeks of induction.

Again, whole grains, brown rice and 100% whole wheat can be added in to Phase 2 slowly so that if you notice carb cravings you know what food is causing them and you should avoid that food.

HTH

Judi

CakkyDoodl
Fri, Jan-16-04, 14:27
I like the idea of a menu thread. I'm always looking for ideas, and keeping my eyes out for quick & easy stuff too in case I go too long before eating and don't want to grab the wrong thing because I'm too hungry.

latuda
Sat, Jan-17-04, 12:29
Hi gawdess. I think a meal thread is a great idea.

I have added some food items in my diet that aren't on SBD but are items that Atkin's followers eat. I know that is a no-no, but so far I haven't had any stalls or weight gain.

Breakfast Ideas: I really like the Mock Danish. I also cut up 4 oz of turkey kielbasa (sp?) sausage and fry it and then I fry 2 eggs and plop it on top of the sausage and mix it together. I have that with Diet V-8 Berry juice. I received a recipe for mock pancakes from another website and they are very good with Atkins syrup. I tried the fritata, but didn't care for that :( . I have scrambled eggs with ham and mushrooms with cheese on top. I sometimes have cottage cheese with splenda and cinnamon sprinkled on top with 2 pieces of turkey bacon. I also eat just regular sausage and links when I am really hungry. I know SBD says to avoid them since of the fat content, but I splurge occasionally.

Lunch gets kind of boring. I have a salad everyday and change the things I put in it. I have used canned shrimp (a whole can!), avacado, grape tomatoes, cauliflower, peppers, and cucumber. I sometimes use chicken, tuna, cheese and bacon. We have also had grilled hamburgers and leftover meat from the day before. When I do the hamburgers, I sautee mushrooms and put them on top with a slice of lowfat cheese. If I go out to eat, I have a grilled chicken salad, or a cobb salad.

Dinner: We have had chicken, pork loin, hamburgers, salmon, halibut, mahi-mahi and lean steak. I make marinades that are sugar free and use carb free marinades from the store. Then we have a side salad and some type of vegie that is allowed. I have seen quite a few recipes out there that sound good, but I think it is easier to get my family to eat regular meat then trying to get them to try new dishes and casseroles!

For snacks I have pieces of lunch meat, peanuts (that is my favorite), jerky, slim-jim, jello with cream cheese, diet a/w root beer with a splash of cream and sugar free vanilla syrup. I bought s/f, f/f ice cream bars, but I haven't ate any of them yet. I'm afraid they will make me feel hungry, so I just avoid them.

Well, sorry this is so long :)

Have a GREAT weekend!!

CakkyDoodl
Sun, Jan-18-04, 08:12
That's great Latuda... Thanks. Here's a sample day for me:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, turkey bacon or canadian bacon, milk or V8
Snack: 2 cheese sticks
Lunch: pork chop, beans, cole slaw, broccoli
Snack: almonds
Dinner: Taco salad (romaine, spinach, tomato, beans, ground beef, cheese, salsa) I know the book says to avoid salsa, but looking at the label of the one I get I see no reason to avoid it. 1 g carb per serving, no sugar, no fat. just tomatoes onions & herbs.
Snack: SF jello cup or more cheese (i hate the ricotta desserts)

gawdess
Mon, Jan-19-04, 13:19
Sounds good. Lets do this daily!! I put my response on the 1/19 thread.

leocadia
Mon, Jan-19-04, 13:37
found a site that appeals to me in that it's gourmet cooking.... http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-recipes.html
can't wait to try out some of the recipes.

vbrowne
Mon, Jan-19-04, 14:39
The cheesecake is excellent!

Vikki

TX Stacy
Tue, Jan-20-04, 00:45
Here is what we had for dinner, this is just day 3 for us on SBD....

Tex-Mex Chicken:

In a bowl; add 3 TBS. Cumin, 3 TBS. Garlic Powder, 1 TSP. Chili Powder, Salt to your taste, 1/2 TSP. Black pepper, 1 TSP. Paprika...Mix well. Add enough EVOO{Extra Virgin Olive Oil} to make it soupy/loose, so you can brush both sides of chicken with it.{If you run out of sauce just add more spices and evoo.}
Take a baking sheet and line with foil. Spray cooking spray on foil..Place chicken on. Top chicken with chopped cilantro. BROIL for 18 mins.
Flip chicken, add cilantro on top and cook 17 more mins. or until cooked through. YUMMO!

Ahead of time make some pico de gallo. I serve this ontop/side of chicken.

Pico: Equal amounts of chopped tamata's, yellow onion, and cilantro. Add salt and mix well. Chill in fridge. Stir before serving.
To take the "raw" bite out of onions, soak chopped onions in ice water for 10 mins.;)

We also had a salad with iceburg lettuce/fresh spinach leaves tossed together.

I have some more I can add tomorrow if ya like guys.

Thanks for all the ideas guys!:yay:

Great thread!

Judi B.
Tue, Jan-20-04, 16:23
OOOOH! Sounds excellent! I cut and pasted the recipe and will try it tomorrow!!!!
Thanks!
Judi

TX Stacy
Tue, Jan-20-04, 16:52
OOOOH! Sounds excellent! I cut and pasted the recipe and will try it tomorrow!!!!
Thanks!
Judi

Good Deal! Yer so very welcome:)

tekgoddess
Wed, Jan-21-04, 03:14
I tried out a recipe I saw on FoodTv - it was a low carb day. Its fake spaghetti with Alfred sauce. I fixed it up a bit though. The fauxspaghetti was actually spaghetti squash and then of course Alfred sauce but I also sautéed some chicken breast in Italian seasonings with some sliced zucchini, tomato, green onion, mushrooms and garlic in another pan. Then we filled our bowls with the fauxspaghetti and topped it with the chicken/veggie mix. It was excellent to say the least ;)

dmharpley
Sat, Jan-24-04, 00:05
Hi tekgoddes, the spaghetti sqaush that you were talking about does it have a strong sqaush taste or is it a milder taste? I've never tried it but it sure sounds good. :wiggle:

DiAnne 2
Sat, Jan-24-04, 14:18
Thank goodness for all of you!!! I'm beginning phase 1 on Sunday. I really want to do this, but I have this thing with ice cream. I was wondering if Edy's ice cream would be permissable. What do you think?

DiAnne

lawoman
Sat, Jan-24-04, 15:08
Welcome Diane and Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the great info!I'm sure we can share some really great ideas for snacks and meals.

DiAnne,you would not be able to have ice cream on Phase 1 as the whole point of P1 is to get your insulin under control and get rid of the cravings.Since you can have 75 extra cal. a day,DH and I like to have a fudgesickle now and then.They are only 35 cal. each so you could have 2.Since my cravings are gone I hardly bother though.If you can tough it out you won't be missing the ice cream at all..I love it,too and I don't even think about it.I hope this helps.

It took me over 2 hrs. to grocery shop last week but I did find things that will fit into this WOE that were not in the book.They are too new but I do believe they are ok. There is a new line by Libby's called Carb Options(I got mine at Krogers)I got the marinade which has less than 1Gram of carb and .5 of fat.It is wonderful stir fried on veggies or to marinade chicken. There were other products in the line that looked real good,too.I think there are going to be a lot more items out soon that will make these things more readily available as well as it should drive the price down.

Gawdess,I just want to gently let you know that SB does not allow any of the LC bars as there is no significant value to them and cereal is not until Phase2. YMMV,but wanted to let you know this in case you stall and need to figure out why.Best of luck to you in P1.

Hugs to All,
Linda