PDA

View Full Version : New to Low carbing.. vegetarian.. need some help...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

iLLspirit
Mon, Jan-12-04, 12:17
Ok i am going to start low carb diet next week.. im 17 yrs old and am a vegetarian.. but cant get rid of these 60 lbs.. i seriously want to change the way i look... so im deciding to stick with low carb...

anyways.. i have a question about induction in atkins.. can u eat whatever u want as long as its under 20 CARBS? also after inductions.. how much more do u raise ur carbs by?

Rosebud
Mon, Jan-12-04, 16:32
Hi there, and welcome. :wave:

No, you definitely can't eat whatever you want on Atkins. You really need to buy the book, which will answer all your questions.
Look for Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution. Reading it will make things much easier for you.

I wish you much success! :)

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Gaelen
Sun, Jan-18-04, 08:11
To be honest, I found it was a LOT easier to maintain vegetarianism on a wider variety of foods by using a low carb plan that gave me a higher carb allowance than Atkins induction's 20g. For one thing, diets that are very choice limiting and I have never gotten along very well :) . I also really enjoy varied menus, and if you complicate Atkins induction with vegetarianism, varied menus are *really* tough to come up with.

Some folks will point out that induction is only supposed to last two weeks, so if it's hard or the food choices are boring, it doesn't last forever. But mentally, the first two weeks of a new eating plan (or a new 'anything') are the hardest adjustment period anyway, so it was critical to me that I be able to use a low carb plan that seemed doable from the beginning.

Rather than Atkins, I chose Protein Power, which allows up to 40g effective (net) carbs in Phase I (and points out scientifically why going lower than 30g is really not any more effective.) Those extra 20g per day offer a MUCH easier transition into low carb eating, and make it possible to choose vegetarian protein sources like cottage cheese, tempeh, even small amounts of lentils and garbanzo beans, along with a variety of vegetables and fruits that are totally off limits on Atkins induction.

YMMV of course, but if you'd like to check out a low carb plan with more options right from the beginning, visit www.eatprotein.com

JudyMH
Sun, Jan-25-04, 22:37
I totally agree with what Gaelen has just said to you. I went on Atkins in August, but have recently switched to Protein Power. At one point I gave up vegetarianism because I couldn't get enough to eat with only 20 grams of vegetable protein. Protein Power is more vege friendly. Though they point out being vegetarian is not necessary, to me it is. I've followed vegetarianism since 1982. So for me it is part of who I am. I can have my beans as long as I only do about 1/4 of a cup. And my soy yogurt as long as I can control the amount, the same with soy cheeses. I have a splash of dairy and a splash of eggs. And of course a whey protein shake everyday. Otherwise I guess Atkins is doable when following a vegetarian diet, but I found it impossible. Judy