PDA

View Full Version : Broccoli Salad

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

djcarbno
Thu, Jan-08-04, 11:51
[SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Comic Sans MS]
BROCCOLI SALAD - SAFE FOR INDUCTION

2 CUPS BROCCOLI FLOWERETS
1/4 CUP DICED CELERY
1 DICED GREEN ONION

DRESSING:
1/2 CUP HELLMANS MAYO
2 PACKETS SPELDRA
SPLASH OF WHIT VINEGAR
MIX DRESSING - MAY NEED TO ADJUST SUGAR AND VINEGAR TO YOUR TASTE
ADD BROCCOLI,CELERY,ONION AND REFRIGERATE FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR

:DAZZLE:

Tammyjoe
Mon, Jan-12-04, 10:55
I make a simular one but I add Broccoli, shredded cheese and sometimes diced zucchini. It is wonderful.

Aysiama
Sat, Feb-07-04, 08:40
This is very good with some fried crisp and crumbled bacon added!
Raw mushrooms are good in it too.

AnnieMarin
Sun, Feb-08-04, 00:59
My mom made one just like this with red onion, feta cheese and roasted salted sunflower seeds. Not sure about the carb count of the seeds - I've never looked them up.

Just the thing to have in the fridge after work - an easy salad that keeps for a few days!

I've never tried it with celery but I think I will this week - sounds like a great low carb addition.

nikkil
Mon, Mar-01-04, 16:37
FYI: you can buy broccoli slaw at the grocery store--it's with the bagged salads. Broccoli stems sliced with carrots (I know, but the carb count on the whole thing is good) and red cabbage all sliced like coleslaw. There's a recipe for dressing on the back that's easily adapted to LC: 1/2 c. mayonnaise, 1/2 tsp. splenda, 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar and black pepper. Mix the dressing ingred. and then add about 1/2 the bag of the slaw and mix well. It's good in the fridge for a day or two. Awesome with sliced lemon pepper chicken on the side!

mitzy39
Sun, May-02-04, 20:45
I make one that is a lc version of an old favorite.

I don't measure but this is the list.

Broccoli florets (small)
grated cheddar cheese
red onion (small amount)
crisp bacon
mayonaise
lemon juice
splenda

mix all together until to taste. you can also add nuts. My hubby loves it. Although he puts in dried cranberries and sometimes nuts.

I mean it!
Mon, May-03-04, 00:08
Hi Mitzy,
This sounds like a great recipe-I love broccoli. Thanks for your answer, how long have you lived there in Juneau? I was born in Kodiak, but moved to Anch. when I was about 10. I get some of my stuff at Fred Meyers, but the Natural Pantry (a health food store) has a LOT of LC stuff. I am not using a lot of LC sweets right now, just trying to stick to meat and veggies. (I am allergic to dairy and egg whites; I can eat egg yolks) Also, I eat a lot of fish (tuna) and that helps me to lose.
If you would like me to look for a particular LC item(s) for you, just let me know. I can find out if the Natural Pantry ships out of town.
Take care, Carlene (I mean it!)

mitzy39
Thu, May-20-04, 18:27
Sorry it took me so long to respond. things always get really crazy this time of year. The end of school is coming up and the kids have all kinds of things they need and want to do. My oldest son just got his drivers license today ARRRRGH!! I've lived in Juneau for 31 years this July. My father moved us up here when I was little and I am the only one that has stayed. I married a man whose father was even born here so I don't know that we will ever leave. Of course we are related to about half of the town. The only thing that gets to me is the dark and the rain. I really like the people and the atmosphere here.

So far I haven't really found anything that I really can't do without,in the lc way, but if I find something I will let you know. The funny thing is that it seems like every one is doing the lc thing but I don't really know any of them that well. So this site is great for me to get some support.

Did you guys hear about the latest studies that showed that low carb dieters had lower bad cholesterol and higher good cholesterol than low fat dieters. Score another one for Dr. Atkins!!! Mitzy

clgrein
Fri, Jun-18-04, 16:57
Could someone please figure out the carb count on the veggie salad, no lettuce thread.... very much the same as all of your wonderful ideas! It is sooo good, but I need to find out how much of I can have on induction , yesterday I ate it for lunch and dinner!!!!! basically, broc, cali, bacon, onion, cheese and the dressing, no carrots..... I tried to do it myself on fitday and just got frustrated, and I purchased all my produce fresh, so no package details!!!! I really am very smart, but have no patience. THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!