PDA

View Full Version : My husband has fibro. Should he do Atkins?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

FrecklFluf
Wed, Jan-07-04, 18:40
My husband's had fibromyalgia for several years. (He's 34.) He's also considerably overweight. When I started Atkins a few months ago, he joined me but soon gave up because he wasn't losing. (He takes quite a few anti-depressants, pain pills, pills to help him sleep, etc., which I think prevented him from losing weight.)

Still, I know he'd be willing to stick with the diet if it helped him feel better. He gets so frustrated because he is constantly in pain. So, for those of you who have had a reduction of symptoms, how long did it take after you started low-carbing before you noticed? And how much better do you feel? What else do you do that helps you feel better?

Thanks for your input.

sknymonkey
Wed, Jan-07-04, 23:34
My doctor was actually not sure if I had fibro or not. (I am young, but got it from a nasty car accident) When we spoke about it, he said that in his experience, a LC diet has helped about 40% of his patients with pain management. He decided that if my pain got better, then it was fibro. That is exactly what happened. He is hesitant to put me on meds because I want to have kids soon, and it might cause difficulties. Your DH shouldn't have to worry about that!
I noticed a little improvement in my mobility after about a month, and after about two or three months, I noticed even more. It isn't a cure-all, and I still get flare ups, but I don't struggle daily as I used to. If I falter on the diet or have aspertame or splenda, I get worse, but it takes a while to figure out what triggers each individual.
I say it is worth making the effort to LC. I'll tell you what I tell other people thinking about starting. The first couple of weeks may be tough. It's easier for some than others. But it does get better!! We all promise! As the body is letting go of sugar and simple carbs, it can go through a detox feeling. I was just a little sluggish at first. The best advice I have is to start prepared. Read the book, stock the kitchen, and throw out the the temptations (literallly). I also reccomend to eat the full amount of fat that is allotted on induction, and then pull back as cravings die down. Fat is very satisfying so it's hard to want a milk shake after you've just eaten a bunless bacon cheeseburger.
I hope that this helps. This forum has helped me so much it is nice to give back. Always ask if you want to know, and there's bound to be one of us with an idea!

Chocolat
Thu, Jan-08-04, 10:03
This is not low carb related, but I have found something that has really helped me. I was in the worst flare, barely mobile and read about this, got some and felt it the next day.

It's called "hyalouronic acid". It's something that's already in our body, but we do not make much of it. I actually feel like someone took every joint apart in the night and put this wonderful, soft, cushy pad in my joints. It works on the synovial fluid and it is padding. Anytime you can get that done, your referred pain gets better.

RUN....don't walk to the health food store and get some. You can do a search on it and read a lot more about it. Good for other stuff too.....but guys....I was bad....and in just a few days I am soooooooo much better. My frozen hip is gone.

Just thought I'd share. :wiggle:

Mims
Sat, Jan-10-04, 14:11
Hi FrecklFluf,

I specifically started LCing because of my fibro, after some reading (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=97,8413939,lowcarber.org) I found that carbs have a really negative effect on fibro patients: increased pain, lessened mobility, fibro fog, harder to get into REM sleep. I have been LCing for 16 days and felt a decrease in over all generalized pain after about 4 or 5 days (went from an 8 or 9 pain level to about a 5), then after 10 days I went from a 5 pain level to about a 3, now after 16 day I barely notice the generalized over all pain anymore. I still have some joint pain, but it is no where near what it had been, I can now walk around without my cane for longer periods of time. I have even been able to start exercising again, I started slow at about 10 minutes and have increased it up to 20 minutes. The fatigue took longer to go away, I actually didn't start to notice a difference until today, I have actually done the dishes, swept the kitchen floor, vaccumed the livingroom and still have energy to spare, only those with fibro can appreciate this.

Good luck to you both

Mims :rose:

FrecklFluf
Sat, Jan-10-04, 22:46
Thanks, everyone.

Mims, can you post that link again? It's not working for me.

Mims
Sun, Jan-11-04, 09:50
I didn't put in the diet link, the site did that itself. The best site I have found on fibro diet is http://www.accessmednet.com/prescription-drug-information/fibromyalgia.html#diet it gives the most detailed information. It suggests the Zone Diet, I found it too compicated to follow and decided to go with Atkins Diet.

Sorry about the mix up.

Mims :rose:

Chocolat
Sat, Jan-17-04, 14:50
You've done yourself an injustice by ignoring my post on HYALOURNIC ACID ! When you get bad enough....maybe you will remember this post.

:rolleyes:

huntress
Sat, Jan-17-04, 18:55
Hi chocolat

Hear that stuff is great for skin, eyes, joints and nerves. We can't get it here in canada, I know how to make it mind you, eat ground rooster combs cooked into a gel. My Dhs mom ate chicken feet and such on the farm and she is 85 and looks and acts 60 so there is something to it (she still eats that stuff) We get it for her in asian stores

Diane

doreen T
Sat, Jan-17-04, 18:58
You've done yourself an injustice by ignoring my post on HYALOURNIC ACID ! When you get bad enough....maybe you will remember this post.

:rolleyes:
hi Chocolat,

I'm glad for you that the supplement seems to be helping. However, I've scoured the scientific and medical literature, and can find nothing to substantiate the use of orally ingested hyaluronic acid. Oh, there are a bazillion websites that sell it, each filled with testimonials and opinion pieces, but none that can point to a bona fide study.

Hyaluronic Acid, also called Synvisc .. has been used successfully for many years in its injectable form to treat osteoarthritis and similar joint inflammations (eg bursitis) especially in the knee and hip joints. It has to be injected directly into the joint's fluid layer, called the synovium. When taken by mouth, it's just degraded in the stomach by digestive juices and never reaches the bloodstream in its original form. However ... hyaluronic acid, when digested, breaks down into several glucose-like compounds, one of which is glucosamine. Glucosamine has a fair bit of research to support its use for arthritis and joint inflammations. Glucosamine creams are used in skin applications to improve softness, and for strengthening hair and nails.

Glucosamine is also 1/4 to 1/3rd the cost of oral hyaluronic acid. :exclm:

Doreen

adkpam
Sun, Feb-01-04, 16:13
My husband has had CFIDS for 8 years (related to fibro) and my mother had fibro for 4 years, and both have gotten better with low carbing.
My mother has lost 30 pounds and feels almost completely symptom free.
My husband has lost about 20, even though he is also taking medication (antidepressants, etc.) He still has ups & downs, and he's not very strict, but we both see a definite improvement.
It took at least two months for my husband to start seeing changes. Maybe yours gave up too soon? I know my husband didn't have the dramatic results I did, but he has a lot counting against him. The withdrawal is also more drawn out with these metabolic disorders. It might take two weeks or more to really feel better with the diet change.
I hope this helps.

FrecklFluf
Tue, Feb-03-04, 13:13
Thanks so much, everyone! Yes, adkpam, he gave up after only a few weeks. I don't think it was the weight loss thing so much as he saw that I was feeling so much better (energy, etc.), and he wasn't. I'll let him know about your husband's experience; hopefully he'll be willing to try again.

adkpam
Thu, Apr-15-04, 08:25
Hey, FrecklFluf, just got back from the Dr yesterday, and my husband's blood pressure was 140/90, is now 128/78!
We, including the doctor, are very happy about that.
The weight loss is slow, certainly, and when he gets sick he does backslide, but my husband can definitely tell the difference now when he does. He seems to bounce back a little better from his relapses, and nothing before has helped him lose weight, since of course he can't really exercise, especially in the winter.
I wanted to give you an update on the situation. The weight loss works about to 3 pounds a month since he started, but he's thrilled that he's losing at all, and we both felt that fast loss wouldn't be the best thing for him.
I hope your husband will try again. Patience has paid off for my guy!