PDA

View Full Version : Tzatziki - Cucumber Yogurt Sauce

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LadyBelle
Tue, Jan-06-04, 16:36
http://www.elikioliveoil.com/tzatziki.html

Ingredients: 500 grams (1/2 quart) of Greek yoghurt (or natural full, dairy yoghurt), Three garlic cloves, 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1/2 sliced cucumber.

Put the yoghurt in a bowl. Put the garlic through a garlic press and using the edge of a knife, spread the garlic coming our of the press on the yoghurt. Take the cucumber and peal the skin. Slice it thinly, either with a knife or using a salad slicer. Mix the ingredients with a mixer (or a fork) and slowly add the oil. The oil will be absorbed, and when it is done, the tzatzki is ready. Serve with a spoon and a few olives spread on the top.

FrecklFluf
Mon, Feb-09-04, 21:32
I would just like to comment for those who haven't tried it: tsatziki is the best thing EVER! Man, it is good.

Oh, and to simulate Greek yogurt, I take a nine-inch or so square of cheesecloth and push the center down into a canning jar so that it makes a sort of pouch, with the very bottom of it being at least an inch from the bottom of the jar. I then screw on the ring part of the lid and spoon some regular plain yogurt into it. Set it in the fridge overnight, and in the morning you will have thick, Greek-style yogurt in the pouch. And some whey (the liquid in the bottom) ... I guess you could do something with that, too, though I can't imagine what.