PDA

View Full Version : Hashimoto's, pregnancy and weight

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SerahB
Mon, Jan-05-04, 10:51
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's several years ago and was put on Synthroid which seemed to stabilize my TSH level. Then I got pregnant and during the course of my pregnancy my TSH was monitored monthly and my Synthroid dosage had to be increase about 5-6 times. After I gave birth my TSH again stabilized. Then I got pregnant again (my daughters are 17 1/2 months apart) and during the course of this most recent pregnancy my TSH level was again closely monitored but it stayed more stable this time around and my dosage only needed to be increased twice. In fact shortly after the birth of my second daughter my TSH level dropped just into the hyper range and my Synthroid dosage was lowered. About four months after giving birth (My 2nd daughter was born in Feb of 2003) my TSH level had jumped from an all time low (since the time I was first diagnosed several years ago) of .2 to 8.0! Since then (June of 2003) my TSH has continued to climb and my dosage of Synthroid has been increased at least 3 times. My Endo (currently looking for a new one) is baffled and is asking ME why my TSH has suddenly started to climb in the past 7-8 months. I am going this afternoon to have my blood drawn to check my levels again. The Endo increased my Synthroid a couple of months ago and I was feeling good until about a week or so ago and now I feel crappy. Tired after 9 hours sleep, headachy all day, cold most of the time, dry skin...the usual.

I have also been on Atkins since mid November (with the exception of several days when I indulged over the holidays). I had lost 20 lbs as of Christmas Eve but gained 3 lbs. back over the past two weeks. I am now back on the Atkins and have been lifting weights for the past several weeks. I've always struggled with my weight and since the whole hypothyroid thing it is just that much harder. *sigh*

For those of you dealing with this disease much longer than I have any ideas about why my TSH has been climbing? I was concerned at first that this latest bout of symptoms was due to the combo of Hashimoto's and Atkins but from what I have read so far on this forum a low card diet shouldn't be a concern with hypothyroidism. True?

Anyway, thanks in advance forany input. :)

christyann
Wed, Feb-11-04, 22:49
Hey Serah!

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 16 years ago while I was still in high school. I found that no diet ever worked even with the Synthroid, but the Atkins was a life saver! Low carb eating has been the only way I have ever been able to maintain a healthy weight; even with wlaking and aerobics and other fitness activities. I can't tell you why your TSH might be climbing; most doctor's can't figure the disease out! In my case it was mostly my levels of TSH climbing steadily over time, and function dropping and meds being slowly increased. But I do know that most of my changes have occurred along with other hormonal changes... going on or off the Pill, and pregnancy can often cause major changes. I am currently on .88 mcg, but as I have just had a baby 2 months ago I am concerned about my levels. Unlike you, my levels were really stable during the pregnancy and my meds didn't have to be adjusted at all and I felt great! However, the post-partum period has been a different story. My doctor will be testing my blood again in a month or so, but it's one big waiting game.
I have also been recently diagnosed with related auto-immune dosorders (mild rheumatois arthritis and Reynaud's disease), but no real explanation for "why" there either! (sigh)

PM me if you like, or drop by my personal journal and fill me in on how things are going for you. It's nice to feel like you're not the only one going through something! :lol: