PDA

View Full Version : Vanc dinner - 1 week notice

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ruth
Thu, Aug-09-01, 18:25
Hi ya all,

How about a dinner Wed Aug 15 or Aug 22. Destination not yet determined, although I know Wa'il has a hankering to visit the Mongolie all-you-can eat restaurant.

If we do this on the 15th I just might p/u some blueberries for y'all city folks who don't get out of Vanc much - I found a great place with HUGE sweet berries $1 lb. If I show up looking slightly round & bluish it's becuz I've had... mmm maybe a few too many blueberries.

Ruth

Karen
Thu, Aug-09-01, 18:29
Great idea, but I can't make either date!

Karen

Ruth
Thu, Aug-09-01, 18:46
Well, what kind of date would work for you? It will depend on what calendar day you & Rachel decide will be fat fast/Stillman days for our "Group LC Study" Are you tempted by the delivery of blueberries? These bb are simply the best I've ever had. No kidding. R

Karen
Thu, Aug-09-01, 19:00
No can do even for blueberries! I'm teaching next week and out of town the week after, so maybe the week after that?

Karen

Ruth
Thu, Aug-09-01, 19:10
It doesn't really matter to me, I just want to get a dinner organized. Aug 29 (Wed) is OK with me. Ruth

fiona
Sat, Aug-11-01, 04:48
Well for once I am very glad to be the other side of the pond! ;)

Me ma's been driving me up the wall with how good those blueberries are. She's even given up proper meals to live on bbs (fruit diet - she calls it!).

I am NOT succeeding in persuading her to try LCing to lose that weight.

RUTH share out the bbs before u become more than {...slightly round & bluish }

Take care.

tamarian
Sat, Aug-11-01, 09:34
I'm in. Mongolie or Greek is fine.

Remember guys, we can always do coffee too! ;)

Wa'il

Ophelia
Thu, Aug-23-01, 12:46
Just wondering whether there is a dinner on for Aug. 29. If so, count me in!

Sarlye
Thu, Aug-23-01, 12:52
I am interested in trying Mongolie? Is that the same as Korean BBQ?

I will check with DH, but I am sure at least I can make it.

Ruth, can you get me a small pint of blueberries, I will pay you when I see you.

Coffee is good also.

IslandGirl
Thu, Aug-23-01, 15:41
Wish I could come...

r.mines
Thu, Aug-23-01, 22:50
Works for me! AND it happens to be a 'regular LC' day, so I can even eat! As for Mongolian vs. Greek, either is fine with me!

Hey, Ruth, does this mean you're feeling better???

Rachel

Ruth
Sat, Aug-25-01, 13:47
Hi all,

I've not had access to a PC in the last week so I've been kind of silent. Looks like Wa'il, Sarlye, Ophelia, Rachel & moi so far. Looking forward to meeting you Ophelia.

Wa'il, could you please make the reservations? 'coz without my own PC I can't be up-to-the-minute on who's coming. 6:30 is the usual time isn't it? Thanks much

Rachel, thanks for asking, I was feeling good when I posted a while ago but have had a set-back. I'm still good for dinner, I need to get out :p Rachel, you've got my tel # if there is a change in plans.

Can't wait to see everybody next Wed.

Ruth

tamarian
Sat, Aug-25-01, 13:54
Actually, I can no longer make it, a friends is coming over for 2 day visit. But 4 sounds like a crowd!

Wa'il

Karen
Sat, Aug-25-01, 21:38
Wednesday the 29th is good for me and Mongolie Grill - do you mean the one on Denman? - would be great.

Blueberries are not required!

Karen

Ruth
Sun, Aug-26-01, 14:24
Mongolie Grill is the all-you-can-eat restaurant @ 467 W Broadway. Wa'il has talked about this place in the past, I think it is a bbq beef place. Anyone else know for sure? We'll miss ya Wa'il. I'll call and check if reservations are required, if so, it will be in my name "Ruth". So it'll be 6:30 for dinner, Mongolie Grill Wed Aug 29. And a pint of blueberries for Sarlye :)

tamarian
Sun, Aug-26-01, 14:36
Actually it's the one on Denman that we talked about, and it was Judi who recommended it when she came over last time.

I'll miss you guys too, but will join you on the next one.

Wa'il

Karen
Sun, Aug-26-01, 15:24
I'm going to whine now about not going to the one on Denman. Whine, whine, whine...;)

Karen

Ruth
Sun, Aug-26-01, 21:44
Ok, I just checked with Mongolie Grill, they don't have a Denman St location. Reservations for 6 @ 6:30 "Ruth". Next time let's go to the mystery Denman St place, after someone figures out the name & location *LOL* Rachel this is your part of town, can you be our detective? How did we get so confused about where we were going?

Ciao Ruth

Karen
Sun, Aug-26-01, 23:30
It's probably called something else but has a Mongolian type cooking set up.

Rachel, do you want a ride?

Karen

r.mines
Mon, Aug-27-01, 10:43
Sure, I'd love a ride, thanks Karen! Looking forward to seeing you all!

Maybe it's on Davie? I happened to pass one on Davie near, I don't know, Nicola perhaps. I haven't particularly noticed a Mongolian on Denman, though I'll keep an eye out now.

Rachel

Karen
Mon, Aug-27-01, 12:06
Found it!

Great Wall Mongolian BBQ
717 Denman St.
Ph: (604) 688-2121

Any interest in changing venues?

Karen

Liz
Mon, Aug-27-01, 17:25
Haven't been on the site for awhile, but dead keen on communal eating. Wed. Aug 29, 6:30? Will check back to see which location it all settles down to. I favour whichever one has been taste tested. Will bring Rachel's pork rinds.

Ruth
Mon, Aug-27-01, 18:34
So let's go to the Great Wall Mongolian BBQ, same date & time.
This place has been taste tested by Judi, she highly recommended it at the last Greek feast in June. I hope changing the venue at this late date doesn't cause a problem for anyone.

See you there, Ruth

Karen
Mon, Aug-27-01, 23:57
Excellent! A low carb extravaganza. :D

Rachel, I'll be walking there from work. Want me to come by and fetch you?

Karen

Sarlye
Tue, Aug-28-01, 11:29
So it's settle, right!

6:30pm
Great Wall on Denman
Wednesday, Aug 29, 2001

I will also be bringing my dh so hope that's ok. DH also bought some pork rinds from Sun Rise, we are not crazy about it. So if someone doesn't mind they were open, please take them.

See you all on Wednesday!

Liz
Tue, Aug-28-01, 15:26
Also, just to whet appetite (half of good eating is fantasy beforehand--foody foreplay ;) ) what kind of food can we expect. Is it like Korean bulkokee--raw beef, chicken, veggies etc. which you cook on table barbecue?

Liz
Tue, Aug-28-01, 15:29
Something happened to my location query so I'm posting again. Sorry if it shows as a dup. I'll be walking north from Davie. What's the nearest cross street?

Karen
Tue, Aug-28-01, 16:57
Now I can't come!!!! A work related thang.

But, if you're finished between 9:15-9:30, I would like to invite you to be my guest at the Fish House for coffee, berries and whipped cream. Give me a call tomorrow night, and if I'm busy on the line leave a message for me.

Karen

Sarlye
Tue, Aug-28-01, 17:18
I have left my brain somewhere and have double booked myself. It's my mother's birthday and also my brother's girlfriend's birthday as well. So I have to show up for celebration dinner tomorrow night. But I will dropby at 6:30pm to the Great Wall and pick up my berries and drop off some pork rinds.

If we make it back, it would be great to come over for coffee at the Fish House.

I haven't been there since I spent the summer in 83/84 selling ice cream from the back and cataloging all those bottles of wine downstairs in the Champagne Room and Port Room. I think it used to be called the Beach House and my 'uncle' Bing used to own it.

r.mines
Tue, Aug-28-01, 21:54
717 Denman at 6:30 sounds great to me! Karen, Sarah, it's too bad you can't make it! I'd love to do coffee at the Fish House, however. What's your phone number there, Karen?

So far it's me, Liz (thanx for the pork rinds), and Ruth? Anyone else?

Rachel

Ruth
Tue, Aug-28-01, 22:00
Hi Sarlye,

I won't be bringing blueberries 'cause they aren't that great now, it's the end of season & the recent rain has made the berries very squishy & they spoil fast. 2-3 wks ago they were superb. I hope you're not too disappointed.

I'm in for dinner & Fish House too. AND I may be able to tell you about a new PC purchase. I'm just a wee bit excited. :D

Ophelia
Tue, Aug-28-01, 22:18
Yes, I'm in! See you all at the Great Wall. And Karen's offer of coffee and berries sounds great!

Sarlye
Wed, Aug-29-01, 12:17
I am sad that I won't be able to make it to dinner.

Sorry about the Berries. I am interested in hearing about your PC, Ruth. I will dropby anyway at 6:30 to drop off some pork rinds and will try to make it to the Fish House around 9:30pm.

Ophelia
Wed, Aug-29-01, 15:59
Bad news for me. Something's come up and I can' t make it tonight! But I look forward to the next one.

tofi
Wed, Aug-29-01, 16:08
So how was it ? Who came?" Did you all find the place? What did you eat? Did you go and visit Karen for dessert? I am SOOOOOOO jealous of people who live in Vancouver - it is so beautiful there. If only it weren't for the 8 months of rain......

BarB

Karen
Thu, Aug-30-01, 08:54
It only rains for 5 months!

Thanks to all for coming to the Fish House after dinner last night. Food, fun and more fun as usual. The manager had to kick us out!

We started talking about a LC Thanksgiving get together. I will start scheming on a LC pumpkin pie!

Karen

Sarlye
Thu, Aug-30-01, 10:10
Although we didn't make it to dinner, dessert was FUN!

Thanks Ruth for taking the time to co-ordinate everything.

r.mines
Thu, Aug-30-01, 10:25
Thank YOU Karen, and Ruth for coordinating, and all who showed up!

I ate WAY too much food - went back for thirds on the Mongolian (I'm posting it first before Ruth gets a chance to tell on me), and then pigged out on Karen's dessert, especially the topping. I'm glad I don't eat Karen's cooking very often, because it is truly irresistable! Maybe I eat less on low carb because I'm such a mediocre cook? Well, whatever works!

It was a lovely, chatty event and I'm sure looking forward to the next one!

Rachel

Liz
Thu, Aug-30-01, 13:27
Thanks from me too, to Ruth for organizing the event and Karen for great finish to the evening at the Fish House. Enjoyed getting to talk so much more to you all. For those of you elsewhere and unable to come, mongolian grill is terrific way to eat low carb. You fill up a bowl with meats and veggies plus sauces and then it is poured onto a huge circular grill and stir fried. The selection is so big that you can be totally lc virtuous and the sauces are wonderful. I'm not saying I was lc virtuous the whole evening as I ate more blueberries and marscapone cream than I should have. Oh well. Enjoyed it. If you're ever in Vancouver, visit the Fishhouse. Great ambience, Karen! and stunning location at the entrance to Stanley Park. When we came out after coffee and dessert, the stars were out overhead and a misty moon hanging above the trees. God I love this province.

tamarian
Thu, Aug-30-01, 13:31
Hi guys, sounds like fun!

Do you think this place, Great Wall, is a better alternative to Stepho's? Was there a lineup, too loud, too quite, etc.

Wa'il

r.mines
Thu, Aug-30-01, 13:59
Originally posted by tamarian
Do you think this place, Great Wall, is a better alternative to Stepho's? Was there a lineup, too loud, too quite, etc.

A good alternative to Stepho's; no lineup, noise level OK. I eat stirfry almost every day at home, so for me, the food tastes somewhat 'homemade' although the sauces are better! They had chicken, pork, beef, and lamb to choose from, and a wide variety of veggies, almost all low carb (exceptions: baby corn, tomatoes, onion). They bring around rice and buns, but we asked for ours to be removed. We sat for about three hours, and nobody made a fuss or tried to move us on; in fact, we had to ask for our bill (about $10 each).

Rachel

jomil
Thu, Aug-30-01, 17:14
Hey Vancouverites!!!!

Where are the photos of the Merry Low Carbers enjoying their festivities at either or both restaurants.

I believe Doreen is a stop up on you guys!!!

Regards
Joe

Karen
Thu, Aug-30-01, 20:13
Oh, we do it so often that we don't have to take pictures. ;)

But really I don't know if anyone owns a digital camera!

Karen

doreen T
Thu, Aug-30-01, 20:18
So ..... regular cameras can't take pictures any more?? Nobody has a scanner??

Shame.:p

Doreen

Ophelia
Thu, Aug-30-01, 20:54
Hearing all about the Mongolian dinner, wonderful dessert, and great company, I am SO sorry I had to miss it (family crisis which needed to be averted!). I hope the next one will be before the end October, when I'm off to Mexico for a few months (eating lowcarb in Mexico -now that will be a challenge!)
Cheers,
Sharon (alias Ophelia)