PDA

View Full Version : "The Carbohydrate Conspiracy"

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gotbeer
Tue, Dec-02-03, 12:47
The Carbohydrate Conspiracy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exclusive commentary by Greg Lewis

Dec 2, 2003

link to article (http://www.washingtondispatch.com/article_7253.shtml)

Fred Smerlas, for those of you who don't follow pro football, is a retired five-time All-Pro defensive lineman for the Buffalo Bills. Fred Smerlas is also a Christian and a political conservative, and he's got very definite views on pretty much any issue you'd care to discuss. He's especially articulate when you bring up the subject of the Atkins diet. He's even gone so far as to suggest that there may be some sort of conspiracy associated with the fact that high-carbohydrate diets have been pushed so hard by so many people for so long.

Fred, like me, is an Atkins Diet advocate. He's an Atkins lifer, as are many of us who have been successful with the diet and understand just how important it is, not only to physical health, but to mental well-being as well. Which brings us to the subject of carbohydrates and the possible conspiracy associated with them. Fred's experience, like mine, has been that withdrawing from excessive sugar and refined carbohydrate consumption is just about the same thing as withdrawing from drugs.

In this insight he's right on the money. In fact, so detrimental is the overconsumption of carbohydrates that in End Your Addiction Now, a book I co-authored, high-carbohydrate diets are identified as a risk factor for substance abuse. The more carbos you consume, the more likely you are to also develop a problem with alcohol or drugs.

The Atkins program, as many people now know (and many more are coming to realize), is based on practically eliminating carbohydrates from your diet. On this terrific regimen, you eat lots of protein, lots of green vegetables, lots of fat, and not much else. And you get thinner and healthier. You lose weight until you feel so good you can't believe it, and when your body finds an ideal weight for you, it just directs you to a natural maintenance level, again, with very few carbohydrates. We don't really need carbohydrates, so, after we get off of them, our bodies just don't crave them any more.

This is your brain . . . this is your brain on carbohydrates

Part of the reason we're able to reach a balance without carbohydrates is because of what the excessive consumption of refined carbohydrates does to our brains. First, the consumption of large quantities of sugar and other refined carbohydrates causes the level of a brain chemical called serotonin to increase significantly. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter, one of the chemicals that gets shuttled from one neuron to another as part of the infinitely complex process of communication among brain cells.

Serotonin is one of the important "relaxing" neurotransmitters. When your brain is producing adequate levels of serotonin, you feel calm, relaxed, unflustered. Adequate levels of serotonin also help you sleep soundly. It's one of the important feel-good brain chemicals: when you eat lots of carbohydrates, you feel good. Up to a point, at least. The problem is that when you continue to eat large amounts of carbohydrates, you begin to overtax your brain's ability to produce serotonin.

Let me back up here and explain a little bit about the process. Serotonin is produced from nutrient molecules, particularly amino acids, vitamins, and minerals. (Notice there's no mention of carbohydrates here.) Neurons literally assemble serotonin molecules from these nutrient substances. Then they transmit them across a synapse (or gap) to adjacent neurons in order to send a message that helps you relax. This process takes place billions of times every hour in your brain as hundreds of millions of neurons communicate with each other.

When you stimulate your brain to over-produce serotonin by eating excessive amounts of carbohydrates, you use up your body's supplies of the nutrients necessary to produce serotonin. This often results in a kind of backlash, where your brain will struggle to produce serotonin when it is stimulated, but when it's no longer got the nutrients it needs, serotonin production is actually cut back. Eventually, if you eat lots of carbs, you're going to get fat and you're going to experience symptoms of depression due to reduced serotonin production.

Conspiracy Theory

That's where the carbohydrate conspiracy comes in. For the past 20 years, doctors, politicians, nutritionists, marketing vice presidents, and anyone else who could manage to get a platform have been telling us that we should eat lots of carbohydrates. "Cut down on fats, load up on carbohydrates." That was the message. If you didn't consume massive quantities of carbohydrates, you were doomed to ill health, or worse. The problem is, they were wrong. And not only were they wrong, their advice has caused and is causing millions of Americans to suffer. Obesity levels, incidences of depression and anxiety, and — shudder — cholesterol levels are all up dramatically over the past 20 years, and it's not a stretch to point to excessive carbohydrate consumption as the single most important contributor to all these conditions.

And this is not to mention the fact that if you're not consuming fats in significant quantities, your brain doesn't have another of the most important nutrients it needs. Brain cells (all cells, for that matter) are surrounded by a fatty membrane, and if your body doesn't have adequate amounts of fat, it's not going to be able to patch up the damage its cells incur as part of normal wear and tear. This is especially critical for children on low-fat diets. Kids are often starved for the fatty acids their brains and bodies need for healthy growth, and this hidden malnutrition can play a part in everything from decelerated development to behavioral problems.

And as far as the cholesterol issue is concerned, the notion that if you don't gorge on carbos, your cholesterol levels will go through the roof is simply absurd. The fact is, as we're finally realizing, the exact opposite is true. Levels of bad cholesterol invariably go down and good cholesterol goes up for people on the Atkins diet.

Now, the question becomes, "Who benefits from this?" Obviously, the sicker the American populace, the more drugs you can sell to them, so drug companies benefit enormously from the perpetuation of false information about the need to consume lots of carbohydrates. But politicians also benefit.

As we all know, you can't be a liberal if you don't have an absolutely pessimistic outlook on life. You're simply not going to buy the liberal message — higher taxes, larger and more intrusive federal government, welfare expansion — unless you're convinced that the world is going to hell in a handbasket and there's nothing you can do about it. And it's much easier to get you into that frame of mind if you can be convinced to eat large quantities of carbos.

Bring on the soda, the candy, the baked potatoes, the fruit juices, the doughnuts, the bagels, the pasta . . . you name it, if it's a refined carbohydrate you won't have to look far to find a liberal pushing you to consume it. You have to be depressed to be a true liberal, and eating excessive amounts of carbohydrates is going to help keep you depressed. It's going to burn you out over-producing serotonin and leave you wailing for someone, some doctor or some flak in a socialized medicine scheme, to bail you out with your daily dose of brain destabilizers.

That's one possible reason why the Atkins diet has met with so much resistance until fairly recently. If you go on the Atkins diet for even as short a time as a month or two (depending on your current physical condition), the changes in your frame of mind and your physical well-being will be so dramatic that you'll start to wonder about the motivation of those people who kept pounding home the message that you should eat large quantities of carbohydrates. By the end of your first month, you'll probably have gone through carbohydrate withdrawal, and that carbo brain fog you've been experiencing will have lifted, and you'll start thinking clearly again. Your self-confidence will begin to reassert itself as the low-level depression you've been living with starts to ease up, and you'll begin to understand that you really don't have to be a victim of the liberal mentality. Or the carbohydrate conspiracy.

Liberals hate people who think for themselves, and liberals hate the Atkins diet. OK, maybe conspiracy is a bit too strong a word. But given the other tactics those on the left have tried, don't rule it out completely. If liberals realized that cramming carbohydrates down your throat would soften you up to receive their message, they'd do it in a heartbeat. But don't just take it from me. Take if from Fred Smerlas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer Greg Lewis is the co-author of the Warner Books hardcover "End Your Addiction Now."

Dodger
Tue, Dec-02-03, 20:00
Where is any research that supports the statement "Liberals hate people who think for themselves, and liberals hate the Atkins diet. " I consider myself a liberal and I and pro-Atkins. I don't think that ones political beliefs correlate in any way with dietary choices.

cc48510
Tue, Dec-02-03, 20:48
Where is any research that supports the statement "Liberals hate people who think for themselves, and liberals hate the Atkins diet. " I consider myself a liberal and I and pro-Atkins. I don't think that ones political beliefs correlate in any way with dietary choices.

It has little to do with "Softening People Up." Mostly it is because they are trying to pander to the Grain Farmers and Militant Vegetarians/Vegans. Republicans also pander to farmers, but not the militant Vegetarians/Vegans. Militant Vegetarians/Vegan Groups such as PETA/PCRM are typically aligned with the Democrats...

kyrasdad
Tue, Dec-02-03, 21:54
I can't imagine that partisan politics has anything to do with eating Low Carb. You could make the argument that liberals pander to interests that support certain carb foods, but Republicans have friends in the processed food industry, too.

It's all hooey, in my opinion.

seyont
Wed, Dec-03-03, 00:18
If it were a conspiracy, would any doctor, gov't worker, lawyer, or politician be dying early? Nope, they'd be in on our secret.

Nancy LC
Wed, Dec-03-03, 02:00
Uh... my diet has absolutely nothing to do with my politics.

synn
Wed, Dec-03-03, 02:43
If I remember my history correctly, the republican party helped push the food pyramid into being accepted.

The reason may have been because farmers were receiving monies from the government and they were hoping to alleviate the funding if enough Americans bought more grains and so forth. (note...this is my opinion, not fact)

Micha2
Wed, Dec-03-03, 03:18
Maybe it is just a 'government thing' whatever their political convictions...

If a government issued guidelines about so called healthy eating (i.e. high carb, low fat) which is subsequently found to cause illness such as heart disease and diabetes in epidemic proportions, would it not be typical for this government to find someone else (Atkins) to blame rather than admit that they had been wrong?

I also think a government is more concerned about economy than health. Wheat and potato consumption have dropped by a significant amount recently. In order to stop and slow down this trend, a government needs to promote high carbs as healthy food.

So maybe there really is some sort of conspiracy going on...

adkpam
Wed, Dec-03-03, 09:01
It's a sorta conspiracy, but not a sit down, let's screw the public type. It's a conviction that foods we've eaten all our lives can't be bad for us combined with economic pressures from special interest groups.
Remember how skeptical you might have been when you first heard of this way of eating?
Now imagine that you own a bread or pasta company.

Groggy60
Wed, Dec-03-03, 09:45
I believe the original low-fat message was honest, but the continuing lack of acceptance for low-carb with all the mounting evidence smells of some kind of conspiracy. The liberal thing is of course humour, but government continuing to put down low-carbing as dangerous is starting to feel like a conspriacy of some sort.

Nancy LC
Wed, Dec-03-03, 10:12
I don't think it's conspiracy, it's ignorance. Look how long it took doctors to accept that ulcers were caused by a bacteria in this country, not by stress or food. People cling fiercely to long held beliefs even in the face of contrary evidence.

ulua
Wed, Dec-03-03, 10:21
God god! Liberals hate Atkins!??? What complete rubbish! What on earth are we doing bringing politics into this? Gotbeer, you are complete idiot.

Farewell all....I ain't coming back!

kyrasdad
Wed, Dec-03-03, 10:37
God god! Liberals hate Atkins!??? What complete rubbish! What on earth are we doing bringing politics into this? Gotbeer, you are complete idiot.

If you took the time to read it, you'd understand gotbeer was just posting an article that someone else wrote. No harm in that, and it's LC related, so it belongs here.

TarHeel
Wed, Dec-03-03, 10:50
Ulua: Gotbeer posts all sorts of lc related media and research articles. They don't all reflect his personal opinions. And by the way, on this forum, we try not to call people "complete idiots". But if you can't handle differing opinions, I'll be happy to bid you farewell.

Kay

Kristine
Wed, Dec-03-03, 10:55
Ulua, should you change your mind and return, please re-read the forum rules to which you agreed to follow when you registered here. We permit no flaming or insults here.

--
Now, about the article: if Mr Lewis is so certain that only con$ervative$ can be good low carbers, I challenge him to get his conservative buddies to make sure that the Republican government gets the friggin' food pyramid duly changed. :idea: . Let's see who the guv'ment really listens to when they make those changes. I'm not holding my breath.

kyrasdad
Wed, Dec-03-03, 16:12
Now, about the article: if Mr Lewis is so certain that only con$ervative$ can be good low carbers, I challenge him to get his conservative buddies to make sure that the Republican government gets the friggin' food pyramid duly changed. :idea: . Let's see who the guv'ment really listens to when they make those changes. I'm not holding my breath.

I think this particular stupidity on the part of government is nonpartisan, or to be more accurate, it's a bipartisan stupidity. Nobody's going to spend political capital on changing the food pyramid -- Liberal$ or Conservative$. :)

The weight of time and research will have to do it, and at some point the large food processors will assert their clout and money to defend their turf, so we may see it go that way.

Turtle2003
Wed, Dec-03-03, 20:40
Uh, am I the only person who thinks that the author of the article had tongue in cheek when he wrote it? I didn't take it seriously at all.

cc48510
Wed, Dec-03-03, 21:03
Ulua, should you change your mind and return, please re-read the forum rules to which you agreed to follow when you registered here. We permit no flaming or insults here.

--

Interesting thing with the Food Pyramid is that Tommy Thomspson (Sec. of Health) is a Low-Carber...and a Republican. But, I believe it was a Democrat [though I may be mistaken] who is trying to transfer authority for the Food Pyramid from the USDA to HHS (Thompson's Dept.) If authority does get transferred, we might well see a change in the food pyramid. But, as long as it remains under the USDA things won't change.

judyr
Wed, Dec-03-03, 21:55
I think that it the change in the food pyramid will come from lowcarbers like us. As more people are successful, our voice will overwhelm the naysayers.

ItsTheWooo
Sat, Dec-06-03, 22:22
If it were a conspiracy, would any doctor, gov't worker, lawyer, or politician be dying early? Nope, they'd be in on our secret.

I think people take the word "conspiracy" too literally... sometimes a conspiracy is something that happens without direct maleffic intent... sometimes harm is something that is just a by-product of a conspiracy.

Imagine this. Dozens of board rooms and corporate meetings across america decades ago, each with some statistic analysist presenting his case, complete with graphs and hard data, which show direct correlatation between level of refined sugar/starch in diet with inability to control appetite and excess food intake. Imagine the implications if companies knew this (and believe me, they do, conglomerates don't just stumble into their power). They would use this to their advantage by lacing as many food products as they could with high glycemic carbohydrate.
Naturally, for food companies, eating more of their product would be good from their perspective, as they are out only to make a profit really. You can see how companies would elect to exploit our natural physiology in a quasi-conspiracy to make us fatter so we spend more on their products... after all, they have repeatedly shown they have no problem exploiting our natural psychology via advertising propaganda.

The government is implicated in this, as the FDA is paid just enough to keep from blowing the whistle on these morally unethical practices. FDA was never much useful for protecting us from anything anyway, besides overt absuses of ethics and threats to our lives...

However, only a very few people at the top would even know this "conspiracy" had happened. Even most educated professionals in medical fields wouldn't know, since after all, they are educated by the very same establishment which had created the conspiracy. Human minds are extremely conformist, it is in our nature to assume if something is a certain way, it is that way for a reason and therefore we do not question it. If all your life you had been subjected to anti-fat and pro-carb/sugar propaganda, you would think there must be a reason this is so and would be unlikely to assume there is anything wrong with it. Dr's are just as human as people, unless they are given a real reason to question the nutritional dogma, they won't.

The only people who truly know about this conspiracy in any detail are probably very few in number... and be sure, anyone who knows about it profited from it in some way and won't be opening their mouths any time soon.

However, if someone were to retrace our steps, and go back to that time when we were led into believing satiating dietary fat was the cause of all our ills (and that we should replace that fat with appetite stimulating sugar), I am sure a very clear pattern would emerge... lots of businesses shaking hands with the government and such.

It may seem crazy, and maybe I am ;D. However I deeply deeply believe the resistence to the low carb movement is spurned by the heads of corporate conglomerates who damn well know why they want their food loaded with sugar and not fat...

Low carbing is essentially an all natural diet pill. You would think the medical establishment would be thrilled with anything that stiffled american's seemingly ravenous appetites, however, you rarely even hear about this property of the low carb lifestyle from anyone (except low carb advocates).

There is so much silence, you really have to ask yourself why.

ItsTheWooo
Sat, Dec-06-03, 22:26

I do think it is a bit silly to find some absolute link between political parties and diet. If anything, republicans are notorious for supporting corporate conglomerates (i.e. pepsi co) who push their sugar-laden products on the public, and the drug industries who push their chemical coctails to treat every lifestyle-induced illness around. Though liberals are the natural allies of militant vegans/veggies, the relative strength these players have in the democratic party is faaar smaller than food (sugar) and drug (obesity-related treatments) corporations have in the republican party...

steveed
Mon, Dec-08-03, 20:24
I suppose I would be classified as something between a libertarian and liberal, (theres not really any words for what I am..ha..ha.) but I disagree with PETA as being wildly emotional and ignoring the facts, and I have vegan friends who don't cram their way of eating down other peoples throats. We poke fun at each other playfully and get along anyway.

The most important lesson in life is to think for yourself. Grouping people like this reporter has done doesn't help the reality in which we live. I feel I am only being sensible...body likes low carb, I feed body low carb food. It's really quite simple! :lol: