PDA

View Full Version : crystal light

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

antsabo123
Mon, Aug-06-01, 09:27
Hey Everyone- I was wondering if crystal light was ok for the atkins diet? The can shows no carbs/no caffeine/low sodium. Please help!!!

r.mines
Mon, Aug-06-01, 09:41
As long as it has no sugar, it should be OK. Personally, I can't stand the stuff, but others on this board drink it.

Rachel

agonycat
Mon, Aug-06-01, 09:44
Aye, it is pretty much zero carbs, however it is sweetened with Aspertame. :(

Trade one good (no carbs) for the bad (aspertame).

If you crave the fruity drinks like Crystal light, try buying unsweetened koolaid (yeah the stuff you drank as a kid) and instead of using sugar, use splenda in the granular form. It measures cup for cup that way. This way you avoid the aspertame side effects and still have something other than water or soda to drink on those sunny summer days.

antsabo123
Mon, Aug-06-01, 09:51
Where do do buy slenda at? I have honestly never heard of it before. Thanks for the help.

antsabo123
Mon, Aug-06-01, 10:04
which soda's are legal on this diet? Thanks for your help.

Bonnie
Mon, Aug-06-01, 10:05
Anthony, you should be able to find granular Splenda on most grocery supermarket shelves in the US... it comes in a yellow box and pours measure for measure like sugar...

:) Bonnie

Karen
Mon, Aug-06-01, 10:11
Look in the sugar substitute section of a large grocery store for Splenda.

Karen

Bonnie
Mon, Aug-06-01, 10:13
Originally posted by antsabo123
which soda's are legal on this diet? Thanks for your help.

If you take a moment to check under the forum heading LC Products you will find several threads dealing with diet sodas... there are varying opinions on the subject... some folks are able to eliminate them entirely from their diet while others are able to continue to use them without causing a stall in weight loss... there are many sodas and LC beverages out there... make an informed decision first before deciding what route to take is appropriate for you personally...

:) Bonnie

Sadai
Mon, Aug-06-01, 15:21
I am just wondering why some of us seem to have a problem with aspertame. :confused:

Aye, it is pretty much zero carbs, however it is sweetened with Aspertame.

It (aspertame) is pretty much in everything that is sugar free?? Jello, kool aid, crystal lite, pop, etc, etc.... I haven't noticed splenda as an additive in anything? Yet!!.. Personally I like either or and keep both in my cupboard.
I enjoy Crystal lite too, lots of variety in flavours, but started buying the sugar free kool aid since it was a little cheaper..

Cheatara
Mon, Aug-06-01, 16:22
There is nothing definite, but their are a lot of medical studies that show aspertame to be a pretty harmful thing. The most common finding is that it causes short term memory loss. My bio professor participated in 2 of these studies (as a researcher) and I tend to believe them. However your views may vary.

Lasses62
Sat, Sep-29-01, 16:19
I read on a site (sorry I was surfing at work and didnt get the site) on hidden carbs and it stated that 2 qts has 10 carbs?!?

Does anybody have the real scoop? If this has already been addressed, please forgive me as I have overlooked this.

This site has been so much help to me by looking over everyone's shoulder into their plates.

Thanks all!! :wave:

Karen
Sat, Sep-29-01, 17:21
Iwent to the Kraft website...

http://www.kraftfoods.com/diabetic/diet/cgi-bin/dcx-select.cgi

...and 0 carbs were stated for an 8 oz. serving. What you are wondering about may be true. Because of stupid labelling laws, there may be .9 in 8 oz. which would then be 7.2 grams in 2 quarts.

Karen

sabrina
Sun, Nov-04-01, 16:17
Hi there, I was wondering if theres anyone that knows if crystal is pretty safe to drink because it says 0 carbs.

Natrushka
Sun, Nov-04-01, 16:37
Originally posted by sabrina
Hi there,I was wondering if theres anyone that knows if crystal is pretty safe to drink because it says 0 carbs.

Actually Sabrina, Crystal Light has a few more carbs than that. Because of labelling laws in the US manufacturers can post 0 carbs when a product has less than .9g per recommended serving. This is why cream will say 0g carbs when in fact one tablespoon has .6g per tbsp and 6.6g per cup :eek:

Here's a discussion we had recently on Crystal light: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21913

I believe the actual carb count is 10 carbs per 2 quarts of CL.

HTH,
Nat

Cheryl R
Wed, Nov-14-01, 21:29
Does that mean if one little carton of crystal light (which makes 1 gallon) lasts me all week, I'm only getting about 2 carbs a day. I just sprinkle a little bit in my water for flavor.