PDA

View Full Version : Is lowering fat absolutely necessary when highering carbs...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ItsTheWooo
Sat, Nov-29-03, 00:49
That is, assuming your caloric intake is not over what you need to maintain your weight?

How much fat do our maintainers eat? Do you still regularly enjoy yummy stuff like bacon, cheesecakes (low carb of course), etc? Or have you traded that in for reduced fat cream cheese and yogurt (EWWW).

sfdebchat
Sat, Nov-29-03, 03:26
I am now experimenting with this very thing. I am trying to maintain my weight through the winter/holiday period. This is the time of year that I usually gain weight, so maintaining successfully is my plan for this time of the year. So far I have maintained my weight at 190 for a few weeks. I have added some starchy carbs, and have eaten some lower fat options. But still have eggs nearly every day, and bacon or sausages 3 days a week. I eat cheese regularly and also macadamia nut/cashew butter. Also eat lots of veggies, some fruit each day. Overall I have just reduced my fat intake a tiny bit to 50 or 60 grms/day and increased carbs to 100 or so grams a day.

If you are on atkins, you are probably shocked by my high carb count, but on Schwarzbein, my plan was already at 75/80 carbs a day. Depending on what plan you are on, you should gradually add carbs until you start gaining weight, then readjust carbs/fat. Remember that it was a high carb/high fat diet is what got us all into this mess in the first place.:) As part of my maintenance, I have even been eating real sourdough french bread with real butter, not every day... But I have a normal serving and don't go overboard on the butter. This is part of a balanced diet based on protein and veggies.

Has anybody else been maintaining? I am also interested in what works/doesn't work for others. I am hoping to make it through the holidays, 3 birthdays, xmas, new years, and a cruise ...without gaining any weight. Can it be done?

Kristine
Sat, Nov-29-03, 09:41
I think there are two important keys to maintaining - one is keeping your carbs spread throughout the day, ie keeping your insulin under control. The other is listening to your body - chances are you don't need to count fat grams if you eat until satisfied, not stuffed.

I've been successfully maintaining without counting anything, except for when I know I've been doing a little too much "cheating" and need a reality check. I don't think I consciously reduced fat. IMHO, LC maintenance doesn't mean you make a transition back to calorie and fat gram counting. :thup:

Kathy54
Tue, Dec-02-03, 07:08
Hi there I so agree about adding other carbs. There is some interesting posts in this thread of the Maintenace floder.

http://forum.lowcarber.org//showthread.php?t=142457

worth a read :agree:
Cheers Kathy :)

adkpam
Fri, Dec-19-03, 09:38
I think if you add carbs you must lower fat, they work together that way.
In my case, I find I don't crave higher carb things. I don't feel pulled towards bread and pasta, so I have never tried the low carb versions.
At this point my maintenance is pretty much the same as what got me here...40-50 carbs a day.
Part of that is I want to see if I will drop any more weight, and feel I won't know that unless I do keep my carbs low. After all, if I add up to my CCLM, I will be staying where I am.
Part of that is the fact that I so enjoy eating this way I don't want to change it.