PDA

View Full Version : Morning Temp 97 HELP!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

puppetlady
Sun, Nov-23-03, 05:31
Good Morning all!
I have suspected my thyroid has been problematic for years and have slowly
gained till I am 80 - 100 overweight.YIKES.
MY morning oral temp this morning was 97.8 and then I did an armpit reading and it was 97 .This was after I had already gotten up to go to the bathroom so I had moved around a little but still. I really think this is a problem .

I can't get my regular doc to really take me serious and I honestly have just listened to her when she says NO it isn't the problem .I mean what do I now but Geesh!

Any Way Where do I go from here. I don't have health insurance so I am going to be paying for all of this myself but hey what the heck .I have bought so many vitamins over the years! LOL I guess I will just have to tell the Doctor to give me only the essential tests as I am paying for it all myself .

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Debbie

doreen T
Sun, Nov-23-03, 11:41
hi Debbie,

Have a read through the FAQ's and articles at Mary Shomon's Thyroid Information site (http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles.htm). She has researched and written a great deal about how thyroid disease often goes undiagnosed and what you can do about it, including recommended tests which you can ask the dr. to order for you. There is a huge amount of excellent information there, so be sure to investigate all the links.

For one thing, she states Do Weight Problems Always Mean A Thyroid Condition?

Some people believe that everyone who has a thyroid condition must have weight problems, usually weight gain, or difficulty losing. That is not the case. Some people will have a thyroid condition and no change in weight. There are even people who have an underactive thyroid, who lose weight. Alternatively, if you are overweight and gaining, or having difficulty losing, you are not automatically hypothyroid. A percentage of people with weight problems do likely have undiagnosed thyroid problems, but not all. So it's not safe to assume that if you have a weight problem, you also have a thyroid problem, unless you have been diagnosed by a practitioner or valid testing has identified your condition.
Here's an article about basal body temperature (http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/shames-basaltemp.htm) .. the recommendation is to track it for 10 days. Take under the arm, on awakening and before getting out of bed for any reason. Do not track during your menstrual period, wait till the cycle is over. Use a special basal thermometer (preferably non-mercury) ... as digital thermometers can be inaccurate for underarm use.

I highly recommend bookmarking this site, and review the information there.

hth,

Doreen

doreen T
Sun, Nov-23-03, 12:07
Just an added note about untreated hypothyroidism .. while weight gain and difficulty losing weight are frustrating for sure, there are other more serious consequences of having a low thyroid condition go untreated. Low thyroid can cause elevated cholesterol, menstrual and fertility problems for women, libido problems for both men and women, depression, hair loss and skin changes.

However, once the condition is diagnosed and adequate treatment commenced, this doesn't mean that the weight will melt off. It just means that you'll be in the same boat as someone with normal thyroid function .. and will need to make the same effort with diet and exercise.

Shomon recommends low carb diet .. or at the very least eliminating all sugar and refined carbs and choosing lowest glycemic foods.

Doreen

puppetlady
Mon, Nov-24-03, 04:33
Thank you Doreen,
I will read everything again, I was also reading alot at Dr. Lowe.com and If the information is correct there That is more what I was basing my suspicions on. There is a history of thyroid disorder in my family and after years of syptoms and then it progressing to fibromyalgia that is why I am suspecting it. I went through the checklist at drlowe.com and checked 27 of the 69 symptoms so I fell like it might be a good time to check it again. My vision problems are severe at this point with chronic dry eyes and cornea problems that make it so I can't see well to drive at night and so I can't drive more then 15 minutes at night. They said that is Kerotoconus but I think all of my problems are related to an underlying issue. I wrote the name of a doctor who is local from Mary Shammon's site yesterday so I think I will give them a call to at least rule this out.Thanks for your response. Debbie