PDA

View Full Version : Fad Diets of 1980s

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

fern2340
Sat, Aug-04-01, 12:10
Found this article on dietandbody.com and thought I'd share...

Fad Diets of 1980s
by Tanya Zilberter

Before the 1990s, fad diets were not low in fat. However, after they became low in fat, the number of obese people in the United States skyrocketed.

In 1984, there was a review article in the Clinical and Sports Medicine journal (v. 3, No. 3, pp. 723-9.) The reviewer, Dr. Porcello, analysed 14 of the most popular (at that time) diets and concluded that none of the reviewed diets was providing all necessary micronutrients, had macronutrients balanced, encouraged healthy eating habits, or had a successful long-term maintenance program.

The ketogenic diet was on this list, indicating that it was already among most popular diets. While finding many of negatives for any of the reviewed diets, Dr. Porcello made a few statements regarding the ketogenic diet that we'll question in a moment. Before that, let me tell you something interesting about fad diets of 1980s.

Says Dr. Porcello: "Many of the popular diets supply large quantities of saturated fat and cholesterol, which are dietary components that have been associated with cardiovascular disease."

I ask you to pay attention to two points of this statement:

1. Before the 1990s, fad diets were not low in fat. However, after they became low in fat, the number of obese people in the United States skyrocketed.

2. Before the 1990s, the major misconception about fat consumption already existed.

What Is the Reason of This Misconception?

First, the data concerning adverse health effects of high-fat diets do exist and they are vast. The problem is, practically all of the data collected used large populations of people. These data are called epidemiological and are usually very difficult to analyse because there's no controlled environment in which these people leave, work and diet. Hence, the very important aspect of these data- carbohydrate consumption -was overlooked.

Second, the current official dietary guidelines are seriously lacking scientific background.

What other facts exist in addition to that of "high-fat foods are bad for you?" Yes, this fact is indeed well documented, but it is only half of the truth. Yes, a high-fat diet is bad for you, but does it follow that low fat is always good? What are scientific data on intentional and controlled fat intake?

There is surprisingly little -and not always consistent -data for being such a crucial point in the guidelines.

For example:

The National Cholesterol Education Program diet, which is low in fat and cholesterol, failed to lower LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels in men or women.
1 A very low-fat diet was not associated with improved blood test profiles in men.
2 Quite the contrary, dietary restriction of saturated fat and cholesterol decreases high-density lipoprotein ("good" cholesterol) secretion.
3 The predicted net effect on coronary risk is zero, and that high-carbohydrate diets lower plasma&rsquos "good" cholesterol.
What real low carb dieters have to say about their blood numbers?

In my attempt to analyse people's personal experiences with low-carb diets, I picked up low-carb dieters' feedback mentioning cholesterol changes.

Out of 450 who shared their experience with Dr. Atkins diet, 335 reported body weight changes; 39 of whom mentioned cholesterol changes along with their weight loss. Only two have had their numbers worsened and their numbers worsen and 37 had their numbers improve. Six reported that their blood pressure also decreased.

Atkins dieters also reported improvements in their cholesterol levels:

A friend of mine went on it and her cholesterol went from 266 to 184!
After 3 months on the diet, my total cholesterol has dropped to 160, my HDL is up to 35, (a high for me) and my triglycerides are down to 107!
Blood lipids, when measured at six weeks, six months and one year progressively, reduced from mildly elevated to normal.
I dropped my cholesterol level by 33 percent.
[My] HDL ("good") cholesterol increased so much, my general practitioner asked me for the name of this book!
I had a 100-point drop on my cholesterol level from a very high 360.
My "good" cholesterol went to 162 from 206! Tryglicerides went 106 from 268.
My cholesterol was 208; it has actually lowered to 181.
My readings average 111-123 &mdash not 170+, as was the case with my high-carbohydrate diet.
My total cholesterol went from 176 (already O.K.) to 153.
My LDL/HDL ratio went from 2.83 to 1.39 and my triglycerides from 82 to 47.
My total cholesterol went from 219 to 168.

Only two dieters reported increases in LDL:

My cholesterol went up from 230 to 278.
I lost 7 lbs., but my cholesterol skyrocketed to 343.

Source

1New England Journal of Medicine, 339(1):12-20, 1998.

2American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 69(3):411-8, 1999.

3Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis & Vascular Biology, 19(4):918-24, 1999)

4The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, v. 274, No. 4, pp. 974S-979S, 1997.