PDA

View Full Version : question about organ meats and raw eggs...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cave_girl
Sun, Nov-16-03, 16:43
Should I start eating organ meats like chicken gizzards, calf liver etc etc and what about raw eggs? I need to heal my metabolism and restore some vital functions after 8 months of a near starvation vegan diet and was wondering if these foods would be a good idea for me to try and eat daily or at the least a few times a week??? Do they taste good? Never ate them before in my entire life. Thanks in advance for the input

Peace

MichaelG
Fri, Nov-21-03, 04:29
Hi, sounds like you need some meat!

I've posted some reliable organ meat recipes in the thread "A couple of nice fatty recipes". Meats such as liver contain a lot of iron which you could be lacking after being vegan, especially useful for younger women (monthly loss of iron). Also lots of minerals and proteins.

With existing hunter gatherer societies such as kalahari bushmen and aboriginal Australians, they 'bake' eggs, especially ostrich / emu eggs, in hot ashes. Our equivalent would be boiled eggs. Trouble with raw 'modern' eggs is that they have been known to contain salmonella bacteria but I don't think this is a big deal outside of Europe in recent years.

Can you get duck eggs where you are? You would never want to go back to boring old hen eggs!

Cheers

Michael Gardner
Queensland
Australia

black57
Fri, Jan-30-04, 10:08
Likewise, early Native Americans consumed the entire animal. Waste was not a part of their vocabulary. Remember the stories of the sailors who suffered from scurvey due to low amounts of vitamin c. They were fed citrus fruits and were "cured". However cultures that ate organ meats and ate them cooked rare did not have a vitamin c deficiency. I grew up eating chicken gizzards, calf liver and even pig brains. I still love tripe. My culture also eats chitterlings which is pork intestines. Organ meats are meats of survival.