PDA

View Full Version : ex-vegan needs advice on how to make this plan work (need prompt replies)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cave_girl
Sat, Nov-15-03, 22:13
here's a short history of my diet woes.
I went low carb last november felt great and lost weight plus became very fit and lean with exercise. i succumbed however to the vegan propoganda from Peta and quit eating meats and dairy and eggs. I lived off of ff rice cakes, potatoes, beans, rice, oatmeal, fruit, and veggies. I developed severe anorexia, began to starve my self on 800 cals a day, and did a crazy amount of exercise. My metabolism has slowed down considerably, my hair is dropping out, and my periods are a no show. Everything I eat is deposited directly to my thighs and I am scared that I have damaged my metabolism so much that I will end up very heavy. I am very depressed right now. My nutritionist recommended cutting out all starches for now and focusing on meats and salmon, fruits and veggies for now. Is she telling the truth? Will increasing my protein intake and eliminating potatoes and ff rice cakes really rev up my metabolism? I exercise a lot yet I have not been able to stave off this creeping weight gain despite only consuming 300-400 cals of rice and beans a day along with some raw fruit and steamed veggies. I have decided to give neanderthin a wholehearted try. I ate raw salmon, tuna, and sardines tonight with lots of leafy greens and an apple for dinner. All my vegan friends say that I will gain even more weight if I go this route but veganism obviously isn't working for me right now. With my level of exercise and healthy eating I should be losing weight not gaining. I really think that my body is crying out for protein.

Are any of the posters in this forum who currently follow a paleo lithic type diet ex vegetarians or vegans who experienced an improvement after switching to this meat centered and grain free diet? Are any of you ex starch based diet practioners? I just want to know if there is any hope for my metabolism (I need to raise it) on this plan and will I develop some muscle now due to the increased protein (as opposed to the no protein approach I was following) My vegans friends tell me I am on my way to obesity with this plan but the starchy low fat bean corn potato thing is ruining my health. There's no way I should be having these problems on the "ideal" diet. Any stories, advice, input os greatly appreciated. Thanks!

huntress
Sun, Nov-16-03, 08:58
Cavegirl, Are you really 5 foot 6 And weigh 109 lbs? Are you a professional athlete or a model? Are you bones small framed? Your Stats make me nervous, For when a female drops their weight below a certain weight their body functions quit, No more periods, massive hair loss, crying spells and depression, big black bags under the eyes, horrible skin And your bones potrude. The rule to figure out your weight is 100 For first 5 feet and 5lbs for every inch over.
Small frame then subracts 10% of total ( grab wrist middle finger and thumb overlap small, just touch medium, Can't touch large) Medium no changes, and large add 10%. Lets see saying you small base weigh 130lbs subtract 10% 13lb equals 117lbs subtract your weight 109lbs difference of 6lbs that shouldn't cause the problems your having, try upping your calories Basic rule there is 10 to 12 x your body weight that should help You are allso puting down fat in the hips but cutting back. Yep Starvation mode, You are in famine and being chased by a bear.
Your body Thinks it is starving and it is burning up all your muscle, Counter that muscle loss with protein and don't forget the fat With out the fat you will develope protein poisoning, Your body needs lots of green and colourful fruits an vegetables, with protein and fat and it will transform itself to a lean, mean, efficient machein(sp) But it won't help with spelling. :lol: Don't over train your body needs time right now to heal. Keep us informed on how you are doing we have been there as well under weight, overweight or just plain sick.

Diane who has done vegen,ww, fasting, you name It i've done it. Now I am the Huntress And it is working great.

cave_girl
Sun, Nov-16-03, 10:19
I have a very very small frame, very narrow wrists, and small feet (size 6) I am not a professional athlete but I could be one with all of the long distance running that I do. Thank you for offering your input, I am no longer talking to any of my vegetarian/vegan friends because they're making me too sad and worried for going this route. I joined this forum looking for advice on how to stick with this and find encouragement. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.
Peace
(written after a breakfast of kale, broccoli, mushrooms, and fatty salmon:-)

Karen
Sun, Nov-16-03, 10:51
My best advice is to read the Schwarzbein Principle which deals with hormonal issues and healing your metabolism. A low-carb diet will give you the protein and fat needed for bodily repairs and proper function but you may need more than that right now. Heal yourself first and don't worry about anything else for now.

There are quite a few Schwarzbein followers here. Here's the forum:

Schwarzbein Principle (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)

I think it's more imortant to listen to your body and give it what it needs to function than to live by a moral philosophy and life style that's making you sick.

Take care, and i really mean it! :)

Karen

tofi
Sun, Nov-16-03, 12:36
Healing your metabolism may mean allowing your body to gain some pounds until it feels healthy. But they won't be fat - they'll be much needed muscle.

Eveyone needs some fat on their body, if only for insulation from the cold. You have proven that if someone goes too low, their hormone system shuts down (= no periods as your body knows it could not sustain a healthy pregnancy) and even the hair follicles can't keep producing hair and are going into hibernation. You have been starving yourself.

To begin to heal, your breakfast sounds like a good start. Your nutritionist has advised you well, and the Schwarzbein plan is a good idea. Try not to give such importance to a number on the scale. Your body needs protein and fat to function properly and restore you to health. It IS possible and you will NOT end up fat. But you may gain pounds that your body needs.

Warmest wishes. You are on the road to recovery.

cave_girl
Sun, Nov-16-03, 12:44
I decided that my first obligation was to be compassionate for animals AND myself, not compassionate for animals at the expense of myself. So I've begun to eat fish (I'm not psychologically ready yet to eat other meats but in a week or two I am sure I'll be there) and I signed up volunteer at the local humane society on the weekends. I feel better already, my insane starch cravings are gone, and I feel "full" for the first time in 8 months. I was really helped by this website called www.beyondveg.com that endorsed a paleo diet based on real research and that contained bios of ex vegans who were having the same problems as me. I am allergic to wheat so this diet hasn't been so bad at all. Last night I made a delicous sald with greens, tomatoes, and tuna, and it was good!!! I am hoping that by eating protein I will finally have some results with weightlifting because I used to think I was hopeless in this category until it dawned on me recently that my body can't build muscles from a lunch of one sweet potato and some corn. Live and Learn...

huntress
Sun, Nov-16-03, 16:30
Hi cave girl

I am happy to read your other posts, your first one came across scary, You sound like a nice person the other posts clarified a lot of things.

GOD bless you with renewed health and vigor

Diane

cave_girl
Sun, Nov-16-03, 16:38
thank you for your encouragement. I already feel stronger. I was able to weightlift today and I didn't get shaky, ill, and achy like I normally used to get when I did it. I actually felt energized. I keep telling myself that if I eat properly and exercise sensibly then the flab on my legs will tone up and I'll build muscle to repair and boost my metabolism. I try and not look in the mirror so much at my legs until I've actually given this a shot for longer than 3 days:-0 Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my posts.