PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having BF problems w/Atkins?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MadCabbit
Fri, Nov-07-03, 17:21
Ugh, it seems like BF is supportive one minute and waving pizza in my face the next. Is it too much to ask for him not to eat my fave carb foods in front of me? Grrr...darn him and his high metabolism! <end rant>

We have been fighting alot lately and my best friend moved away for college and long distance is expensive! Any one need to vent about BF or GF's? I'm here to listen if anyone is interested.

Leigh

rory12
Thu, Nov-13-03, 17:00
your bunny's are adorable!! have you tries to get you BF to LC with you? we're doing it together and it's so much easier... I know what it's like to feel like your fighting all the time...I've definatly been there. :( If you ever want to talk IM me at nydemocrat83...I'll listen :)

NovaGirl
Mon, Dec-01-03, 20:31
Well, I dont have a BF, but I do know that my best friend is SOOO unsupportive. She's slim, and has an attractive BF and all she can talk about is her BF and get this, a while back, while i was LCing, before a long, long time away from the LC WOE, she actually told me "if i hear the word carbohydrate out of your mouth one more Time, I think im gonna yak" and in reality, i listen to her yap about how AWESOME her BF is so much i cant get a word in. She tells me that my WOE is unhealty and im gonna get sick and tells me that its stupid and useless and Im not going to lose weight and all this discouraging stuff- and to be honest, it makes me soo mad, i could cry. And, even though I'm trying to keep it underwraps from her, she gives me this weird look when i take the buns off of my burgers, or eat tuna and porkrinds instead of a hotdog and fries. GRR! ANd It pisses me off so bad because If I'm actually scared to tell her IM LCing again because of all the ridicule I get from her. Some friend, huh?
Ah, Oh well, Ive got my forum pals to keep me goin!
~~~Luv~~~
Whitney

aim:ixdreamxnxcolor

Bramblrose
Thu, Dec-04-03, 11:48
Well, I don't have a BF, but I do have a MF who is constantly trying to feed me carbs. He says I'm crazy for low-carbing, and tries to tell me that people HAVE to eat sugar. ('Course, he has a GREAT metabolism, so he can eat all the sugars he likes.) I think he likes me better fat.

NovaGirl
Thu, Dec-04-03, 20:57
Dontcha HATE that. I wish people would just let us be and let us eat how we wish!! grr.. lol this topic heats me up every time.

icephoenix
Fri, Dec-05-03, 07:04
My friends tell me all the time "you can't live on just protein! It's not good for you! You're not getting all the nutrients you need!" and I just say "I take vitamins!" lol, which I do... But, I agree with NovaGirl, it's great that people are concerned about us, but once they see that we are not trying to starve ourselves, they should just let us alone.

NovaGirl
Fri, Dec-05-03, 21:25
What I really like is when they say bicker at you about not eating "right", then after you lose about 10lbs theyre all like "hey! have you lost weight?" HAHAH WHY YES I HAVE!

amdevelish
Sat, Dec-20-03, 21:45
MadCabbit - Sometimes men just don't understand girl LOL!! BUT IMO I think if you are going to do the LC WOE then you need to learn to deal with your once fav high carb foods being eaten in front of you. We can't expect everyone around us to be on their toes about what THEY eat because WE are watching what WE eat. In truth, conquering your desire for the pizza your boyf is munching on will make you stronger anyway!!!
NovaGirl - I wouldn't call her a bestfriend. Love yourself more and find new friends!!!

amazonann7
Tue, Mar-16-04, 12:00
As if it wasnt hard enough starting LCing in Australia, my Aussie BF can eat whatever he wants. He didn't understand the whole Atkins thing but he did support me in it if it was "what I wanted." Sometimes I really have to wonder about his motives, he always wanted me to cheat. It made eating out very difficult. I love him but sometimes he made it so hard to keep on the straight and narrow.

Now that he is still in Aus and I am in the US I find it a bit easier but roommates constantly eating carbs like crazy infront of me was a bit tiring, I finally just got used to it and now I have slowly begun to turn one of them to the LC side. Mwahahaha.

blue4lemon
Mon, Apr-19-04, 11:02
I am so glad I was not the only one. My last boyfriend was totally unsupportive of LC'ing. He wanted me to eat like he did. He was chunky at one time but lost it by eating one meal a day (dinner). He was one of those lucky ones who portion control works for. He called me fat a lot, too.

My new boyfriend (well not new, today is our 5 month anniversary) is a rail. He is over 6 feet and super skinny. He eats what he wants and doesn't gain any (I joke that he has a tapeworm), but he is supportive of me and my LC way of life. He won't LET me eat bad foods, because he knows I am hypoglycemic and that diabetes is a family problem. He doesn't think I need to lose weight, tells me I am beautiful and sexy how I am. I love him so much.

Justin_UGR
Tue, Apr-20-04, 17:57
Ugh, it seems like BF is supportive one minute and waving pizza in my face the next. Is it too much to ask for him not to eat my fave carb foods in front of me? Grrr...darn him and his high metabolism! <end rant>

We have been fighting alot lately and my best friend moved away for college and long distance is expensive! Any one need to vent about BF or GF's? I'm here to listen if anyone is interested.

Leigh

Break up with him, go out with me!! :o

w0rd
Fri, Apr-30-04, 15:43
i recently started the low-carb thing so my bf isn't a problem but before that, i was doing low-fat.... he was very mean and would pick on me.. even about water "make sure your water is low fat lizzy!" yeah, i dumped him..

tell him how you feel.. tell him you are trying to look better for him.. thats what i did.. the X and i are "dating" again. and now that im low-carb.. he doesn't make fun of me.. maybe because i gave him a piece of my mind!

w0rd
Fri, Apr-30-04, 15:45
oh yeah.. i always need to vent..

hehe.. we can yell about guys together woot woot!

gachic05
Fri, Apr-30-04, 19:33
Well don't tell your bf you're losing weight for him... because you should be losing weight for youself, not for some guy that makes fun of your WOE. I actually haven't told my bf that I'm doing low carb....he noticed that I had lost some weight but I don't go into details about how I'm doing it. He's one of those guys that can eat everything and not gain a pound. Don't you hate that?

bluesfan88
Fri, Apr-30-04, 20:05
my stupid so called bf has not noticed. we went and saw a movie and he did not say anything . i had not seen him in like 5 months and have been friends for like 5 years . and so last week when i saw him he did not say one thing . i was so ready to kill him. but that is guys for you. but it makes mefeel so mad that he did not even notice ,because i have been working so hard:( he is one of those guys too that can eat what ever he want and still look like a stringbean. it is so unfair

gachic05
Fri, Apr-30-04, 20:29
Well do you notice? If so, then that's all that matters for now. My bf is on his way over with a large pizza and cheese sticks.... uggh. I'm not sure how I'm going to explain why I'm not eating that. It isn't that I don't want him to know... it just seems like more hassle.

AlaneHilo
Sat, May-01-04, 04:47
Both my BF and I are rather over-weight. We have been together for over 3 years now and love each other very much but during our time together we have both gained weight. When we got together I was at 215 lbs, walking everyday and paddling canoe twice a week. He is not an active guy and I am a 'social excerciser' - I really need to have a regular excercise buddy to keep an excercise schedule. When we got together I tried to convince him to excercise with me but I soon gave up and it was me that stopped excercising. Over the past few years I have ballooned and so has he.

I turned to Atkins because it was pretty in line with foods that I like, although giving up the sugar has not been easy. When I proposed it to him he was hostile to it, but I persisted and said, "OK, if you are not going to do it with me, I will do it myself" and I did. I was on it for a little while and started to loose weight but then I fell off the wagon. He likes to go out to eat and I have a terrible time sticking to LC when eatting out. We were out almost every night. He would bring sweet foods home and offer them to me, like ice cream and each of us would eat a pint of Hagendaaz (oh the shame). We kept going out to eat and eating junk at home and soon I was right back in my old habits of liberally indulging in sweets. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't out to get me, but I think my not endulging with him made him feel badly.

This time I am going to be strong and take control of my relationship with food. He bought a dozen donuts the other day and they are in my fridge right now. Every so often I can hear their muffled calls through the door but I have not touched them, nor will I. I am getting more vocal about what I want to do rather than just going along with his eating habits. He'll suggest eating out and I will suggest something LC at home that he likes (like steak and asparagus). He still eats high sugar foods around me, but I am better at resisting now and he is better at not tempting me with it, I think he may actually be cutting back. Maybe I will lure him into LC yet!

gachic05
Sat, May-01-04, 06:36
Well hopefully he'll join LC with you. I know it would be easier if someone is doing it with you. Try to keep LC snacks in the house.... so when he's have a pint of ice cream, you can have a cup of atkins ice cream. Substitutes help.

bluesfan88
Sat, May-01-04, 16:49
yeah i notice. it just stinks that he doesn't . i hope that your bf understood why you are not eating pizza . did you telling him go well ?
Substitutes do help. now with everyone doing low carbing it would be so easy to get the same thing he is eattting but low carb. good luck withthat .....
have a great saturday night everyone :)

w0rd
Sat, May-01-04, 19:29
the boyfriend is being more supportive.. he even fixed me a LC breakfast [while he ate his krispy kreme doughnuts] he is also one of those guys that cannot gain weight...

yeah, my dad used to be like that... HA!

gachic05
Sat, May-01-04, 19:49
no.... we actually ended up getting into this huge fight so I just told him to leave, no need to even explain why I didn't want pizza. I guess it worked out, huh? haha

bluesfan88
Sat, May-01-04, 20:27
yeah i guesss , if i was you i would tell him . if he really does like you then he will be fine with yuo low carbing and be suppotive of you. but sorry that oyu got into a fight .....

gachic05
Sat, May-01-04, 20:52
Well the fight had nothing to do with low carb or dieting or anything. Just a stupid fight. I'd tell him if I knew I needed to, I just haven't found it necessary yet.

bluesfan88
Sun, May-02-04, 08:16
oh ok ...... well that is good .

w0rd
Sun, May-02-04, 14:51
i think you should tell him.. who knows? maybe he will give you the extra support you need right now. guys are tricky like that.

is there any reason you don't want to tell him that you are low-carbing?

gachic05
Sun, May-02-04, 14:57
No, there's really no reason I'm not telling him.... just figured it would be less hassle. I don't want him to feel like we can't go out to eat or anything. We're on rough grounds right now anyway.

w0rd
Sun, May-02-04, 20:49
but you can go out to eat!! thats the beauty of the low-carb thing!!! i have been low-fat for a year. talk about horrible. when you do that you can't go anywhere.

im sorry that you are on bad terms. i hope that everything gets better

CherylAust
Wed, Oct-20-04, 18:48
My DH was the same when I first started lowcarbing he filled the cupboards with loads of carby stuff. I think he prefers me fat, more to grab on to :lol: .
Earlier this year he bought me clothes for my birthday, none of them fit. So we took them back and I told him that I wanted clothes to exercise in. He asked why, I asked him that wouldn't he prefer me thinner. He said that as long as I was happy he was fine with my weight. I turned and looked at him and said "Well I'm not happy". It clicked with him then that I wasn't doing it to make him happy I was doing it to make me happy.

roxy2009
Sun, Oct-24-04, 22:20
I dont have a boyfriend but my bestfriend is alwayz like waving donuts in front of my face. It kinda gets me mad but shes not all that thin herself. Shes not fat but shes not thin. But when she does that to me i know that by the end of this year i'll be thinner than her and she'll get really self concious. It's kinda mean but if they rag on you for being on a diet then just look at it how i look at it well i g2g
*tiffy*

MommyCow
Sun, Oct-24-04, 23:15
I have been LCing for the last three weeks and my DH is reasonably supportive. He admits he doesn't understand quite how it works since he sees me eating fatty stuff (meats, cheese, etc.).

His big thing is that it's working for me and that's what's important. He has said that he's not worried about my weight but he wants me to be happy and he knows I'm not at this size.

He encourages me not to cheat, but he still eats whatever he wants (like a big cinnamon Belgian waffle this morning) in front of me, but I don't mind.

He doesn't need to LC and he shouldn't have to. As long as he doesn't put me down for it, I'm cool.

roxy2009
Tue, Oct-26-04, 15:47
my friends dont put me down but theyre not supportive they like to eat things in front of me to encourage me to screw up its retarded...

Apk
Tue, Oct-26-04, 17:31
I'm not currently dating anyone, but my whole family is against my LC WOL. All my siblings are naturally slim and eat carb-loaded junk all day long. I went home for the weekend and had to bring along my own lettuce and flax/bran muffins to survive (plus I hard boiled half a dozen eggsfor the weekend as soon as I got there). On Sunday my Dad made pancakes and I ate my LC muffin while they all poured real maple syrup over their stacks of plate-sized pancakes. I also went to MC D's with my 17 yrs old, perfect figured sister who ate 2 mc chickens and a milkshake, while I ate a double cheesburger without the bun. Not fair!

LukeA
Tue, Oct-26-04, 18:28
No bf presently for me... (maybe soon! ;) )

But my friends think i am nuts for lcing, and they make a point of telling me so all the time. (while wolfing down stuff like french fries, and chocolate in front of me). Though they are very impressed with my weight loss so far, and they give me compliments a lot. :) My mom, she lost a lot of weight years ago and has kept it off with dr. ornish's plan (basicly fatfree vegan), and although she has told me she doesnt approve of all the dietary choices i have been making lately, she just yesterday told me that "whatever you are doing is working, you look great today!!", which was a big confidence boost for me. My dad agrees with what i am doing, and since i have started he has been not eating sugar, and is laying off all the rice and potatoes he used to eat daily and instead is eating more healthy veggies. My little brother and sister are both being very supportive, though they seem to think i shouldnt lose anymore or else to them i would look to skinny!. :lol: