PDA

View Full Version : Types of birth control pills

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

KetoKaren
Thu, Aug-02-01, 22:05
Apparently, the type of bc pills you take makes a difference for those with PCOS. Those of you on bc pills may want to take note.

Tri-phasic pills may make TOM and PCOS symptoms worse, whereas mono-phasics seem to work best for PCOS sufferers.

The mono-phasic pills don't change dosages throughout the month; triphasic do (usually represented by 3 different colours of pills in a pack).

I'm currently on a tri-phasic (Tri-cyclen) and having a lot of problems. I plan on switching to a monophasic (perhaps Allesse).

I got this info from a great PCOS site--click on the link below if you want to check it out. They have many great research articles.

Ciao.
soulcysters--PCOS link (http://www.soulcysters.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000073.html)

lizola21
Wed, Mar-12-03, 21:38
I saw the word Alessa and wondered if you switched to it, i've been on it for almost 2 years and struggle to lose the weight, did you switch? how is it working out for you now?
:spin:

Misa
Sun, Apr-06-03, 15:59
Both Levlen and Alesse have worked well for me. Not so much in the weight area, but my periods were very heavy and very long, and these two pills have been very effective (and I have less pain).

sknymonkey
Thu, Apr-10-03, 22:56
I started out with ortho-tri-cyclen and it was wonderful for the first 6 mos or so. Regular periods for the first time in my life. Then suddenly my TOM became greusome. PMS started in the 3rd week of the pill pack and it was BAD! :mad: :confused: :bash: :tears: :devil: All in one, for two weeks. My fiancee was ready to throw in the towel. So was I. I called my gyno and he put me on Ovcon. Not only is it good for PCOS but it is often given to women who experience high emotional dysfunction during PMS. Some women who also take anti-depressants can stop taking them when they use Ovcon. After 6 months of using, I don't feel like taking an AK-47 to a bell tower and leving a town, just because someone cut me off.