PDA

View Full Version : Starting Over for the Second Time

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

K9Elvis
Sat, Nov-01-03, 14:05
Hello All!!!

I love this site!!! Last May I was feeling a little crappy and went to see my family doctor. 48 Hours later I was laying on a table buzzed by drugs watching my wife through a window crying as the Cardiologist showed her my near-miss with death. You see, there are a couple of arteries that go up and around your heart....most of mine were plugged with crud, and I was on the verge of having a "Widow-Maker" heart attack when I went to see my doctor.

Well, 5 wire mesh stents later and a serious reconsideration of lifestyle and attidude and I LIVE!!!

My doctor told me that I suffered from something called "Syndrome X." I thought she was just making it up to sound better than telling me I was fat and out of shape. Come to find out, "Syndrome X" was the name of a condition that was coined by some guy at Stanford. My Dr. told me that people with Pear-Shaped bodies, histories of hypertension and heart disease and non-diabetic (but slightly skewed) blood sugar readings were those who fit into this "syndrome." That fit me to a "T." If it was not addressed, she told me that I would develop diabetes soon and that my heart disease would return and that there would not be another chance.

How to respond to this syndrome is what had me the most stumped. As I sat with my wife in recovery, the Cardiologist and my family doctor both told me that I needed to start eating all of the things that I was always told to avoid.....high protien, high fat and LOW CARB foods!!!!!!! For a guy that has only looked longingly at butter for the last 36 years, I didnt know what to say. They never told me to follow anyone's specific regiment, but I bought the Atkins book days later.

I started June 1, and I lost 30 pounds in the first thirty days that I followed Atkins. I hit a plateau at 30 pounds, and fell into routine. Then came Disney World. The restaurants were great and were more than willing to help me say on my meal plan, but the resort that we stayed with had those danish witht the cream cheese in the middle, and it was my undoing. By the end of my trip I was eating 6 of them a day. I was still exercising vigorously however and to this day, my weight has not changed much, but my low carb lifestyle is long gone.

Notice that today is the First of November. It is also the start of my re-induction and am off to a good start. less than 10 gr. Carbs total so far today and dinner should go well also.

Where I failed (besides the cream cheese danish) last time is that I did not search out new ideas on cooking and recipes and quickly grew tired of eating the same things over and over again. The online support and sites that have surfaced in the last 6 months is amazing and I'm sure that you all will have a positive impact on my continuance of my healthful lifestyle.

As to me personally, I'm 36 years old, live in the middle part of Michigan in the United States. I spend many hours out doors, hunting and fishing. I would also like to let everyone know that after 18 years of hunting, I finally bagged my first White Tailed Deer and now have approximately 45 pounds of CARB FREE venison in my freezer!!!! I'll be experimenting often with previously published LC recipes and adding my wild game meats to them.

Here's to the next 30 pounds, and to the Next 30 years of my life!!!

Talon
Sat, Nov-01-03, 17:39
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

You sound like you have a great plan. This forum is a great place to share stories and ideas, and learn new things. Keep up the low-carb way, you may save a life - YOURS!

Kristine
Sat, Nov-01-03, 17:45
Hi there! Wow, we need more cardiologists like yours!!

"Syndrome X." I thought she was just making it up to sound better than telling me I was fat and out of shape.

:lol: It does sound like that, doesn't it? I never thought of it that way. You're quite right. :lol:

Well, welcome back aboard the wagon. :cool: You're not the first person to get off to a false start. Enjoy the forum! :sunny:

Kathy54
Sun, Nov-02-03, 20:32
Wow....... what a scary story! With a happy ending :thup:
I'm so glad to hear that you are are back on track :)

And in saying that, it's never too soon to receive advice about going off Atkins :agree: The Atkins plan is the same as any other way of eating or diet, you just can not ever going back to your old habits :thdown: Lets face it, what got us all here? right? So keeping that bit of info formost in your mind when tempted, is a good tool for us :)
Now on the other hand, those that do the plan right from "start to finish", ( as in all the phases), can enjoy some of those forbidden foods, when done properly
without negative results. So it kind of helps knowing that eventually you can enjoy, a baked potatoe, brown rice,good whole grain breads, lots of variety in fruits and veggies :yay:
It's making it through the first while that is toughest. I'm starting my 3rd month of Maintenance and I enjoy darn near everything, good grains, fruit, veggies, But the key is Control over servings, Hope this helps, I'm sure you'll do fine, you've come to Thee Best site :agree:

Cheers Kathy

Ruralgurl
Sun, Jan-18-04, 02:55
just wondeing how you are making out K9? You have not gotten tired of that beautiful venison have you?
Let us know, Rural