PDA

View Full Version : Advice for new mom training for marathon?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

runnermom7
Wed, Oct-29-03, 12:19
I really want to run this marathon coming up in January. It's not the training that will be a problem, but I'm worried about the time committment that will be needed to complete the race (and that's all I'm worried about...completing it!)

How did you moms make the time to train? How many kids do you have? Did you get baby sitters? How long were your runs during the week? Were you a working mom or stay at home mom?

I'm just wanting to be aware of any pitfalls ahead of time so I can make the needed arrangements not to mention get my mind set and straight!

Alison :help:
longest run-8miles
weekly run-5miles
half marathon-Thanksgiving Day

Galadriell
Wed, Oct-29-03, 16:16
One pitfall - to go up from a half-Marathon to a Marathon in one month can be hard for your legs, if these are your first (half) Marathons. The recommendation usually not to increase the weekly milage by more than 10%/week, and to have minimum one 20 miles run before Marathon.

No, I do not want to discourage you. With walk/run you can finish it:-)
Btw I am a mother of three, and completed my first half-Marathon this September, and in the middle of a training for a January Marathon ...
My program based on the Runnersworld.com recommendations for beginner Marathoners.

Fortunatelly kids are not problems, they are running with me:-) (I am 46, three kids are adults.)

Good luck, and looking forward to hear about your success:-)

runnermom7
Thu, Oct-30-03, 09:43
Thanks! Actually, this is my second half marathon. I will have 2 months to prepare since the marathon is at the very end of january. I have no problem walking and running so with that, I should be okay. Good luck with your training!

Have a great day,
Alison

Karen 26.2
Sat, Nov-01-03, 21:40
I am a mother of three boys 7,5 and 2.
I have run several marathons and training is a challenge!!!!
The mileage -like you suggested is no problem.
The problem is the time!!!
I also work full time as a middle school teacher.
I plan my long training runs for early Saturday mornings when my kids and husband are still in bed.
Mid week I either run early in the morning or in the evening.
I am very lucky to have a very helpful husband who also runs marathons and is understanding.

The best option -if you can afford it-- hire a babysitter. Have a standing agreement for Saturday mornings.
When your mileage picks up you will need a babysitter for 3-4 hours.

Most of all be flexible and get out there and run whenever you can.
Running has been my sanity!
It really relieves stress!
Karen