PDA

View Full Version : Zuppa Toscana!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Asuncion7
Mon, Oct-20-03, 17:51
This has been modified to suit LC, but here goes, I have no clue on the carb count. Olive Garden does it but with bacon,onions and potatoes, we just took them out and replaced the potatoes with cauliflower.

1 (16 ounce) package hot Italian sausage (removed from casings)
1 small head cauliflower
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 cups kale - washed, dried, and shredded
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder (you could also use chicken broth, or boullion cubes)
2 quart water
4 TBSP heavy whipping cream just about

Directions
Sauté the sausage until cooked through, make sure you've removed them from their casings.
Add garlic to a separate saucepan and cook an 1 minute in a little oil. Add chicken base or bouillon, water, and cauliflower, simmer 15 minutes.
Add sausage, kale, and cream. Simmer 4 minutes and serve. This serves about 4-6 dependant on the size of the bowl. We love it!

Slapfish
Mon, Oct-27-03, 17:17
I got this recipe off the internet a few years ago after we ate it at Olive Garden. At that time I was watching fat and calories, so I never made it. Once I started low carb I remembered how wonderful this soup was and made it without the potatoes.

This soup is TO DIE for. It's SO good even my 17 year old son who HATES vegatables (he calls himself a meatatarian) at it, Kale and all.

You will never feel deprived on a low carb plan if you eat this incredible soup AND you will be sure to convert even your skinny friends if you serve it to guests.

Asuncion7
Mon, Oct-27-03, 17:26
We've served it several times and everyone always wants the recipe. And your right, even my 11 years old eats it!!! Kale by itself is quite frankly horrific, but in this soup it is wonderful!!

02B125
Sat, Nov-15-03, 15:24
I've made this several times, but use turnips. (They look the same as potatoes.) My son was here one night and I served it for supper. He looked up while he was eating it and said, "But mom, I thought you didn't eat potatoes." That's how true to the original taste this soup is! It's just delicious.

Kathy54
Sun, Nov-16-03, 11:29
O.K. I've got to buy some Kale!!!

Kristine
Thu, Dec-04-03, 16:02
Wow, this is delicious! I threw in some bacon, and it reminded me of potato and bacon soup.

This is the first time I've had kale. I still have half a bunch left, and I think I'm going to have to make more zuppa! :yum:

I highly recommend this one to other "kale-fearing" folks. ;)

bzeus
Wed, Dec-17-03, 20:58
This soup sounds wonderful! I'll have to try it this weekend. I'm looking to add a lot more variety to my dinners!

Kemss
Tue, Jan-13-04, 16:01
Silly question... what is Kale? Do I buy it fresh or frozen? in any store? Could I use spinach instead?

Thanks!

Kristine
Sun, Jan-25-04, 13:20
Kale: http://www.aboutproduce.com/produceaz/commodity.asp?C=Kale

You could use spinach, but the kale doesn't cook down like spinach does. It stays pretty crispy.

Alopex
Mon, Jan-26-04, 23:13
Do the turnips need to be cooked before adding them to the soup, or do you just add them and cook them with everything else?

Thanks! This is on my To Try ASAP list! :)

02B125
Thu, Jan-29-04, 18:05
Hi Alopex,

I boiled the turnips first, and then thinly sliced them before putting them in the soup. I haven't made this for a long time. I think tomorrow would be a good time..... the wind chill is supposed to be -35 tonight!

Linda

Alopex
Sun, Feb-08-04, 11:54
Thanks, Linda! I figured the turnips would probably need some extra attention, but I've never cooked with them before, so I wasn't sure. I can't wait to make this!

cmcole
Sat, Mar-20-04, 08:32
This includes turnip (I estimated 1 pound)

Zuppa Toscana

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 package hot Italian sausage -- (16 ounce)
1 small head cauliflower
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic -- minced
2 cups kale -- washed, dried, and shredded
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
2 quart water
4 tablespoon whipping cream -- approx
1 pound turnip -- cooked and sliced (optional, but included in nutritional analysis)

Sauté the sausage until cooked through, make sure you've removed them from their casings.

Add garlic to a separate saucepan and cook an 1 minute in a little oil.

Add chicken base or bouillon, water, and cauliflower, simmer 15 minutes.

Add sausage, kale, and cream. Simmer 4 minutes and serve.

Description: "LC Version of Olive Garden's Soup"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 138 Calories; 10g Fat (64.0% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 28mg Cholesterol; 578mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : you could also use chicken broth, or boullion cubes in place of chicken bouillon powder

missaec
Sun, Mar-21-04, 20:59
Oh my goodness! This soup was one of the reasons I was so sad about LCing at first. lol I'm SO excited!!!

etoiles
Sat, May-01-04, 10:23
This soup looks super yummy and I just put it on my list for this week's meals!! I just have one question - how do you prepare the cauliflower? Shredded, chopped, diced???

thanks! :) looks delicious! :yum:

NANCI B
Mon, May-03-04, 08:30
I made this soup yesterday. I will probably never know what the recipe as posted tastes like as I have a compulsive desire to "tweak". I used frozen chopped spinach instead of kale and added 1/2 chopped onion. I also added 1 tbsp of tomato paste in the saute stage. (I am trying to protect my hubbies prostate with added lycopene anyway I can) I also used canned lo sodium chicken broth instead of powder.

Even with all my changes and substitutions, this soup was great. I am a soup person and could eat this every day.

Thanks for the recipe

etoiles
Sat, May-08-04, 10:58
Well I made this after cutting the cauilflower into small cubes. It was really good!!! I was a little nervous because I hadn't ever really tried kale before but there was no need to be nervous.

The caulifllower was a perfect substitute for potato!

Bronx_Guy
Wed, Mar-09-05, 16:05
made this today for the first time. gods it was good. awesome recipe. Going to use the chicken cauli base for many soup ideas all ready forming in me head.

Olive77
Sat, Nov-05-05, 10:10
Yum! I LOVE kale!