PDA

View Full Version : Still hungry....

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Wonderer
Sun, Oct-19-03, 11:53
Dr. Atkins says that once your body reaches ketosis, you start to not feel hungry. Even after a huge meal of low carbs - meats, eggs, cheese, whatever i have I am always still hungry. Even if I get full in one sitting, thirty minutes later I am hungry. Is it because I am still in the induction diet, and just craving sweets, etc? Will this stop soon? because I can't stand walking around hungry.

~Just wonderin'

watersidhe
Sun, Oct-19-03, 12:36
Woot... this could be a number of different things. It is TOTALLY normal to feel voracious during the first few days of induction, but you really should not be going hungry. In fact, that will likely keep your metabolism from doing what it is supposed to, which is to switch over to fat-burning in as short a time as is healthfully possible. Anyways, here are some questions/suggestions you might want to consider.
<P>
First off: are you really hungry, or are have you become used to eating until you are stuffed and, having just recently started watching your intake, been feeling deprived and obsessing over when you are going to have your next meal? (This is what I sometimes do, so if that's part of it, you don't need to feel upset or guilty. The key is learning to distract yourself from thoughts of binging.)
Are you getting enough calories per day? The recommended amount seems to be 10-12 x your weight in pounds.<P>
Are you eating small snacks throughout the day? If not, you might want to start instead of waiting between meals. Some people even lose better on 4-6 small meals a day instead of the usual 3 large ones.<P>
Are you getting enough water? You should probably be drinking around 70 oz. per day, if not more, in order to help you stay full and drop inches & pounds. (Dehydration can make you retain water and also masquerade as weakness and 'hunger pains', btw.)<P>
Has there been any recent change in your exercise routine? If so, you may need to up your cals/carbs a bit...<P>
How much fiber do you take in per day? You can subtract that from your carb total and see if the extra food helps you out at all. <P>
Have you read the Atkins chapter on induction? And if so, are you eating anything that is not on the 'acceptable' list?<P>
If you are able to answer any of these questions for us, we can probably help you a little bit better.

Wonderer
Mon, Oct-20-03, 12:03
Thats a lot of questions. I think that part of it maybe that I don't get enough calories, my fitday says I am only getting an average of 884, which i didn't really pay much attention to until you asked, i mostly have just been watching the carbs. But i really am eating and snacking quite a bit. I will try to up that and see if it helps.

I have been drinking a lot of water, I think it is enough, because that is really the only thing i drink. Exercise has been the same as usual, yes.

I have been following the Induction diet very well, and I lost three lbs since i started which has just been a week. I think my main problem is mostly the calorie thing. It is hard to eat a lot of calories in the dorm without eating any carbs. Seems like I don't really get full, i just get tired of the same old foods, and don't eat as much, because it isn't what i really want. Most meat, etc that I can eat in the room have the fat taken off and don't really have many calories in them.

I still am really new at this and I just want to get it right. My lipolysis strips change color so i must be doing something right, but I think I am still missing something. I have read almost the whole atkins book, well through the induction part, but maybe you guys have some advice...hopefully i am not asking stupid questions....

~Just wonderin'

Scarlet
Thu, Nov-13-03, 16:14
No wonder you are hungry. You ned about another 1200 cals!!!! Eating more will help you :)

FrecklFluf
Mon, Jan-12-04, 22:44
What do you have access to in your dorm room? Microwave? Hot plate? What COULD you have in your dorm room?

Definitely you need more calories (I don't eat much and I'd be STARVING at < 900 calories). Let us know how your room is equipped, and we can probably brainstorm some food suggestions for you.

E-Lo
Mon, Feb-09-04, 15:30
Yeah, I agree...you definitely need more calories. With this woe, it's always easy to do that. For breakfast try frying your eggs in olive oil, with a 2-3 strips of bacon or sausage. For lunch, have a salad with full fat ranch, with a steak or pork chop, for dinner have some brocoli with cheese on it or butter, with chicken with skin, or a steak, or a pork chop. You don't have to eat the same thing every day, but following that format should do it. Snack on 1-2 ounces of cheese or cut celery w/dressing.

It sounded like you were doing low carb, low cal, and low fat, which is dangerous. If your body doesn't get enough calories, it will think it's starving, even when you are in ketosis, and it will resist weight loss. So eat up girl!
I usually eat between 1400-1800 calories a day. For you though I would say between 1200 and 1500 calories a day. Don't forget to drink at least 64 ounces a day in water, more if you are working out, and watch the salt in take. Hope this helps :) .