PDA

View Full Version : Do you eat any sugar now?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

wordlady
Thu, Oct-09-03, 05:15
When I first got to goal, a little never seemed to hurt me. However, I think that now I'm re-addicted. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Kathy54
Thu, Oct-09-03, 23:34
Well, as my other post tells you, NOPE, LOL
Seriously I think it can lead to the vicous circle for some if they welcome sugar back in. Remember that eating sugar and other high carbs is what brought us here in the first place, so sadly ( for some) you can never expect to be able to go back to the way we used to eat, plain and simple, for me it has no place in my life, cause I never want to have to do this over again, LOL

Cheers Kathy

junebug61
Fri, Oct-10-03, 06:01
Congratulations on reaching goal wordlady!! I avoid sugar as well. Although, if we are having a special dessert, I might have a little. I also gained a few pounds after my "little" indulgences. I guess I need to limit it to maybe once or twice a month.

Evey
Fri, Oct-10-03, 06:39
I have had three HUGE binges in the last few months - all related to oh-so yummy-but-evil sugar! The more I eat - the more I want! So desserts and candy are out the window (sugar alcohol does not effect me this way - thank god!) I can indulge in Russel Stover's low carb candies even once or twice a day and just enjoy. :roll:

wordlady
Fri, Oct-10-03, 07:13
Hmmm. Thanks. I'm trying to find my footing. I went up 3 pounds, but have taken 2 of that off. I'm thinking that even though a LITTLE sugar doesn't give me an immediate gain on the scale, it's like a lure to re-addiction. I keep WANTING it!!! Then I go up.

I've been at goal for about a month and a half. Interestingly, in my tmes of eating a very small portion of whatever dessert thing, I didn't go up. I still hardly ever eat breads. THEN, I had a travel, on the road weekend. We at at McDonalds 4 times, and out twice. I gained 3 pounds! Wuh.

This maintaining thing is definately a learing process. I definately never want to go back to how I used to eat. I would like to add in fruit, some oatmeal, maybe some whole grain bread or low-carb bread in tiny portions, but this sugar thing....wow. I'm beginning to think I'm an all or nothing person there!!

Kristine
Fri, Oct-10-03, 10:12
Good question. :thup: I can handle a little sugar every now and then, like in my coffee if I'm out somewhere and don't have any Splenda packets in my purse. I'll also have sugar treats once in a blue moon. Definitely not a habit, though.

Evey
Fri, Oct-10-03, 14:13
A slice or two of low carb bread w/butter and low sugar jelly also does the trick for me as well. That won't send me into an eating frenzy like candy does. In small amounts sugars not that many calories so no wonder we don't see an immediate weight change -but it does sneek up on you and you start eating a little bit more and more often - then wham - re-addicted! When you had Mcdonalds - did you eat the bun? That would do it to me as well - lc bread for me for life! (or high fiber whole grain)

trisharau
Sat, Oct-18-03, 01:02
I find sugar is dangerous territory for me. I can become addicted so quickly and a binge can happen if I am not careful. However, Because of the adverse reactions to this substance I find I indulge in it less and less and for shorter periods. Currently I think I would be quite happy never to consume sugar foods ever again. Plus the stuff tastes way too sweet these days!!!

Froggiebro
Sat, Oct-18-03, 01:28
I have to stay far away from sugar. If I have one hard candy or something like that, I can INSTANTLY feel my blood sugar jolt up and i get a huge head rush!

el corazón
Sat, Oct-18-03, 09:56
I dont know how much sugar apples have in them, but when I added them back about an hr after I ate it I would be moody and tired. I ate it with some cheese to balance the protein thing but still felt like crap.

Kathy54
Sat, Oct-18-03, 13:31
Yes apples do have a lot of natural sugar, I normally only have 1/2 a day, and as well, I eat it with cheese.
Thats what mantenance is all about finding out what you can handle. So the advice from the book is so very true to do it slowly so you can notice the changes in you.
Cheers Kathy

LC Sponge
Sat, Oct-18-03, 14:31
I’m one of the ones who never really fancied sugar all that much in the first place. I was a “salt” person and chips and fries were my downfall.

I do eat sugar on occasion in the form of certain baked sweets. It does cause me to want it again sooner, unlike if I don’t eat any sugar for a period of time, but my awareness of this keeps me from doing any bingeing.

What I find is that periodic “returns” to centering myself – that is - several days of induction-type eating (controlling portion size fairly strictly) every month keeps me on track – I only bounce around between 1-5 pounds depending on TOM, etc – which I find acceptable. After a week where I have sweets 3-4 times, I will put my nose to the grindstone and get back to target weight. Then I slack a bit, then back on – Being too tough on myself on a daily basis is too much to deal with. I’m better to ebb and flow in my maintenance.

wordlady
Sat, Oct-25-03, 10:57
Interesting stuff. Since the first post, I have gone back on induction, and taken off 4 pounds. Wow.

Anyway, another question.
HONEY. Would that do the same thing?

SarahO
Sun, Oct-26-03, 07:32
I thought I had responded to this thread earlier, but I see that I didn't, so I'll just add to the chorus that sugar is the one thing I still avoid except for very special occasions.

As for honey, my feeling is that to the body, sugar is sugar. Regardless of whether it's table sugar, corn syrup, honey, maple syrup, whatever. So I treat all of the above like sugar, i.e. off limits for the most part. I don't even eat "sugar free sweetened with fructose" jam because fructose is still a sugar, isn't it?

Morgan1974
Mon, Nov-03-03, 08:35
When I first got to goal, a little never seemed to hurt me. However, I think that now I'm re-addicted. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
I have reached my goal wait without giving up the teaspoon of sugar in my coffee. That is the only sugar I have. Can't go without my coffee and do not like artificial sweeteners in it. Anyway, it didn't keep me from losing weight or reaching my goal weight. I still have that teaspoon of sugar in my coffee and usually have 2 to 3 cups of coffee a day.

I have never in my life been a sweets eater so that part is not a problem for me. I've always just assumed having coffee with sugar in it must satisfy my sweet tooth because I've never craved sweets and still don't.

I guess having just a little sugar for some people makes them want more....in that case, I would imagine you would have to stay away from it entirely. However, my three teaspoons of sugar a day is all I need or want and it doesn't seem to affect my weight because I've been maintaining for some time, now. So, I'm happy!
I realize everyone is different, but that's how it works for me. :yay:

Frederick
Sun, Nov-23-03, 00:02
Hi Wordlady,

Interestingly enough, I'm experiencing something similar to what you're going through. For the longest time during OWL, I had almost forgotten how much I truly adored sweet things.

Once I had reached Maintenance, and continued to lose weight beyond my goal, the urges and cravings for sugary foods came flooding back. It's not a bad thing, in my view. I'm one of those--perhaps you are too--who are simply addicted to the taste of sugar and always will be in the forseeable future.

Naturally, I've had sugar, whether it be fruits, ice cream, chocolates, or pastries. During OWL, fruits were often enough to satiate my sugar appetite; but now, I find myself needing a little more. My view is, that if you don't gain the weight back, enjoy the sugary foods for it's taste. I mean, whoever came up with this notion that it was bad to be decadent every once in a while? We'd all agree eating it 24/7 constantly would be disastrous, but so would anything in excess.

Best of luck,

Frederick

wordlady
Sun, Nov-23-03, 08:30
Back in September, when I ate sugary foods, I never did gain weight. I think that it was my viewpoint; just a little seemed like a huge "bad thing", and I expected retribution from the scale; was surprised when I didn't get it.

However, that put me on a ..........LOL......."road to sin!" My maintenance has been more of a lack of self-control and habits, then see-sawing back to maintenance. From 138-144, up, down, up, down. And the craving for MORE SUGAR is a killer for me!!!

I'll get this down eventually. It's just so interesting to me that maintenance is so much more difficult than the weight loss was.

rose7
Mon, Dec-29-03, 22:29
I agree with you Wordlady. I find maintaining so much more difficult than losing. It is not so much as to 'gaining' part. Rather, it's how my weight fluctuates so much. Having a bit more carbs, my weight shoots up, have too little carbs, my weight gets too low. I'm unable to steady my weight. I do wish I could see more activity in the maintenance section for that very reason. :p

To answer this thread, I don't go out of my way to eat sugary candy now, but I don't panic if I have some sugar that is added in restaurant foods, drinks, etc. I used to be, but realized how paranoid I was over some minute amount of sugar. :)

Happy New Years Everyone! :rheart:

Anleigh
Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:54
Natural sugars found in some foods such as fruit is all I would ever attempt to eat.

Kathy54
Wed, Jan-07-04, 11:34
Hi Anliegh welcome,
This is a great thread, may not be as active as we'd like it to be, but not all maintainers visit the site regularly.

I was just curious about your comment regarding sugar.

fruit is all I would ever attempt to eat.

You are eating fruit now though are'nt you?? I sure hope you are enjoying 2-3 servings a day.

If not, there is a good thread altille further down here about adding foods prior to maintainance.

cheers Kathy

Anleigh
Wed, Jan-07-04, 12:39
Kathy - Actually I have been afraid of fruit but am getting ready to start with strawberries and maybe a Granny Smith Apple.

trisharau
Wed, Jan-07-04, 16:44
I too have been nervous of eating fruit because I find it hard to stop at just one piece. Lately though I have been chowing through all the stone fruit that are in season down here!