PDA

View Full Version : Habits for maintenance

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

wordlady
Thu, Oct-09-03, 04:59
I wanted to ask you guys for some opinions.

I really had an ok time losing my weight: March through August. But now that I'm on maintenence, I'm really having a hard time finding my footing. I guess that's because my sister was in the hospital critically ill and other things, and I ate sugar; went off; but didn't gain. However, that was weeks ago.

Did you guys add some sweets at all? Do you ever overdo the carbs? I can't seem to find the right footing here. I have terrible cravings. I mean, I'm wondering if I'm the person who can only do the straight and narrow!!! Also, this is the time of year now when I gain weight.

I guess I'm asking if any of you had a hard time with maintenance, and what tips you have.

SarahO
Thu, Oct-09-03, 08:25
Hi wordlady, I think it's really hard to incorporate moderate amounts of carb back into the diet, without going nuts and having way too much.

I have been working on eating one higher-carb item a day, such as a slice of bread, beans, squash, a little rice, etc. Sugar and potatoes are the two things that I still almost never have. I will have a dessert on special occasions, but only truly special occasions like my anniversary and birthday.

I do sometimes go overboard -- last weekend I went to a barbecue place and had hush puppies, onion rings, mac and cheese, the works -- but I usually regret it afterwards. It does make other treats seem more tempting, when normally they'd be easier to pass up.

I think it's easiest for me when I have rules to follow. Maintenance is harder because it's so much more flexible. So what I'm trying to do is give myself new rules, like the "one higher carb item per day" thing. If I had a slice of bread with lunch, then no rice at dinner. So far it seems to be working OK.

Don't beat yourself up for slipping while your sister was in the hospital! Sounds like you had a lot on your mind, and your sister's health obviously took priority.

Kathy54
Thu, Oct-09-03, 23:28
Well, my rules are simple, I make a choice each day, I pick one from the following:

N/Flour whole grain bread, about 11 carbs

A small potatoe at dinner

3/4 cup brown rice at dinner

High carb veggie like squash/fresh corn/ carrots.

It's all about controlling serving sizes :thup:

As well each day I eat 3 servings of fruit, But I consider a 1/2 pear, apple, peach ect a serving.
This is how I have been eating for going on 8 weeks and I stay between 138-140, Never over yet 8>)

AS for sugar, Nope it's just has no place in my diet, as well I have no plans of ever re- introducing pastas or any white flour products.

If I'm in a situation where a dessert is expected to be part of a celebration, I take only a teeny serving, just enough to say I had it, so far this works for me.

Just last night I had this conversation with Hubby how I really could care less about dessert, But by God don't take away my No sugar chocolate!! I have a piece everyday with my afternoon coffee at work, one of those small bars does me about 3-4 days. 8>)

Hope this gives you some ideas. :thup:

wordlady
Fri, Oct-10-03, 07:22
Yes, it definately does. None of you seem to do sugar unless it's a pressure/social thing. This has really really helped me. i'm going to read this again and do some thinking.

BeccaResRN
Fri, Oct-10-03, 10:55
although on my plan I could have real sugar i have found that real sugar invites cravings and binges so I have only suagr free treats or fruit unless rare like anniversary ocasion or something i just feel better

trisharau
Sat, Oct-18-03, 01:07
I am much better without any sugar in my diet. I get very high and energised on sugar but the crash inevitably happens. Emotionally I also feel quite low when my energy dives. It feels like quite an addictive substance to me!!

Kathy54
Sat, Oct-18-03, 13:26
Good for you that you reconize the effects and leave them out of your life!

Kathy

lowco
Sat, Oct-18-03, 21:40
read cad. try it. it kills the cravings.

LC Sponge
Sun, Oct-19-03, 05:42
My maintenance ‘plan’ if you can call it that although….. the evolution of it is less than a “plan” and more of a “feel”.

I have no idea what I’m going to have for my next meals, that includes most of today where I’m going to be away from home at a horse event. I’m involved in the event, and so the danger is NOT eating. I used to ensure that I packed myself a bit of cheese, nuts, tuna or something like that before I would embark on a day like today. But I have gotten to the point where if I get hungry, there’s a burger place just down the street where I’ll grab one, toss the bun and get back to the event.

I made a key lime pie (with splenda) this morning for dessert tonight (hubby’s request) and there will be some meat and probably a squash involved (since we have filled the cellar with squash!).

So what I’m trying to explain in answer to the “maintenance habit” concept is that I don’t plan. I planned for so long, that it’s pretty much ingrained into my lifestyle now. Much as a habit as getting up and going to work is a habit. I still use the scale and how I feel generally as a guide to what I should or should not do.

I don’t fall into the trap of believing (forgive me if this differs from any of you, I don’t mean to belittle this) that food controls me. That I can’t eat something because it’s going to cause me to flip out and go on a binge. A craving is a craving is a craving. Who cares what triggers it? A sad thought, a piece of apple pie, and insult by a co-worker…. A rainy day…. whatever. The only reason I don’t eat certain foods is because they give me indigestion. If I believe food controls my habits, then it’s because I continue to give food the power to do just that.

Others also agree, that portion control is the key. Whether that be one portion or none. If we can’t learn the skills to be able to STOP eating when we want, then what have we learned?

To eat a small portion of dessert just so that we can say we’ve done it, is along the same line as allowing external controls to dictate what we eat. I eat the dessert because I want it, OR I don’t eat the dessert because I don’t want it. My WANTS are based on a series of intellectual decisions where it’s ME who’s in control of my body. Does this make sense?

We eat for loads of reasons, but I try to exclude those reasons from my repetoire that don’t have to do with – is it time to eat? Am I hungry? What’s available that will do me the least amount of damage? The “Am I hungry?” is what controls the portions. Small servings and back for seconds, only if I can truly justify that YES I AM still hungry! :

el corazón
Sun, Oct-19-03, 06:55
Hey Sponge, just wanted to say those are good points. :)

Kathy54
Sun, Oct-19-03, 11:10
Some good points Lc,
I used to ensure that I packed myself a bit of cheese, nuts, tuna or something like that before I would embark on a day like today.

Yep me too, now with being able to make the choices that I mentioned in my previous post, it's a whole lot easier to just wing it nowadays :yay:

To eat a small portion of dessert just so that we can say we?ve done it, is along the same line as allowing external controls to dictate what we eat
Yes I agree as well, it's funny how some people feel they must force food on others (hubby did'nt mind, the one time I did cave into it he ended up with it anyways,lol) I also feel no one should have to explain themselves to these food pushers either:thup:

AS for Craving Bingeing, I'm so thankful I'm not in that catagory, to the point, I am apologetic that I do not have any understanding of that behaviour. So I generally avoid responded to post that headline binge or blew it big time, LOL

I too keep an eye on the scale daily, cause it's really the only gage ( maybe other than pants,lol) that can tip you off, early in the game.

Cheers Kathy