PDA

View Full Version : Threw out my Molly McButter today!!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

beachmum
Sat, Sep-27-03, 17:58
Found it hiding in the spice cabinet--2 jars of it-- left over from the last time I was on a major low-fat diet, ages and ages ago (could never quite summon up the strength to go back, although I made a couple of false starts).

So, what low-carb item have you gleefully tossed out lately?

angieK
Sat, Sep-27-03, 18:44
Do you mean low fat item thrown out? I keep all low carb items for sure.LOL
I through out my no fat sour cream--I didn't even look at the carbs on it because I knew I could have the nice thick stuff. My oldest daughter lucked in because she got all my no-no food--pasta, rice etc. Her cupboard in her new place looks great and it looks just like mine did, but she doesn't have a weight problem--lucky her
angie

Sela
Sat, Sep-27-03, 18:49
oh I tried molly mcbutter a long time ago..never liked it though, but most of that lowfat stuff kinda sucks :P The last thing I remember throwing out was low-fat salad dressing...ewwwwww. Glad thats gone, now salads taste great :)

Tsve
Sat, Sep-27-03, 18:53
yuck, I had that before, one time. I forget who had it, but I had it on popcorn. I noticed that it was so dry, and made popcorn...more dry.
the high carb item that I don't eat now is sweetened yogurt because all the yogurt here adds sugar and fruit. Plain, Unsweetened non-flavoured yogurt would be nice, but that is apparently asking to much. Oh, I also do not eat rice.
I used to get as much Asian buffet foods as I wanted without having to pay for it. I could have sweet rice, general chicken in the sweet sauce, egg rolls, ice cream...I went for low fat food like rice and fried vegetables but I it was actually bad for me since I never ate enough protein and had high carbs.
At home, I used to eat pieroges all the time, and my dad used to make them all the time too, homeade. I used to eat sugar in my saur kraut and I ate it a lot, even though I still do not like pork very much(which is serfed with that most of the time). It was high fat so I never ate it.
Mostly I could eat healthily at my home, but the inclusion of so much sugar and the fact that American meat is poisioned with hormones made having to watch everything that goes into my mouth now a reality.

hey_Neener
Sat, Sep-27-03, 19:46
low fat mayo-never liked that stuff-was keeping it for my dad. I tossed it yesterday to make room for my full fat stuff-and redi-whip!

AzureMoon
Sat, Sep-27-03, 20:28
All low-fat stuff I took to the office and gave it to my friend doing Weight Watchers -- and this after having gastric bypass surgery. Dang, I'm sure glad I didn't fall into that trap.

Corbry
Sat, Sep-27-03, 20:33
As Sela said, salad finally tastes good... I can't believe it! I thought I always hated salad.... and I thougtht it was because of the 'salad'... nope, turns out it was because of the LOW fat dressing... go figure! Now I really enjoy salads... expecially chicken caesar!

~Lori

redawn
Sat, Sep-27-03, 21:37
I cut up left over meat on my salads. .. and as I eat it I relish it saying. . .what's not to like about a meat salad. YUM! redawn:)

potatofree
Sat, Sep-27-03, 22:23
Rice Cakes!!!!!! Good riddance!!!!

I have to laugh at myself though.. I used to eat half a bag of them and feel so freakin' virtuous! A million grams of high GI carbs, and I wondered why I was so hungry an hour later?

shortstuff
Sun, Sep-28-03, 07:04
Tsve - if you're concerned about American meat having all those hormones and antibiotics, etc in it (you're right for the most part) you can buy meat that's free from all of that crap. It will be labeled organic or free range. It's a little more expensive, but well worth it to keep the poisons out of my diet. I find this at Wild Oats which is the same company as Sun Harvest. They have a lovely selection of beef, chicken, pork, lamb and freshwater and saltwater fish. I'm sure that other parts of the country have healthfood stores as well where you can purchase organic/free range meats.

Fiona mcK
Sun, Sep-28-03, 07:13
The one thing I thought was so wonderful before was Stony Hill Farms Fat Free Chocolate Underground yogurt. It was soooo good. Turns out because it's absolutely LOADED with suger (oh sorry they call it 'cane juice'. I felt like I was being so good eating that stuff!

tagcaver
Sun, Sep-28-03, 10:34
I never had to throw anything out. I have a shelf in my pantry for me (lo carb) and a shelf for my two skinny marching-band teenage sons. I just put the stuff I didn't want there and it disappeared. :-)

Joan

Whammy
Sun, Sep-28-03, 10:51
potatofree,

I had to laugh when I read your comment:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rice Cakes!!!!!! Good riddance!!!!

I have to laugh at myself though.. I used to eat half a bag of them and feel so freakin' virtuous! A million grams of high GI carbs, and I wondered why I was so hungry an hour later?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, can I relate. I used to think rice cakes were my "salvation" instead of what they really are: one of the most godawful excuses for food that exists. I, too, tried to kid myself into thinking I should be really full after eating them. It never worked.

Neener:
Isn't it amazing about the mayonnaise? I really have never been a mayonnaise lover; but I have used it for certain things. When I was low-fatting, I used zero-fat mayo for the "splurge-day" deviled eggs and the occasional tuna sandwich. Of course, I only allowed myself to eat these things when my daily allotment of calories permitted me to do so. What's strange is that I really thought it tasted good. When I started Atkins, though, I bought regular mayo. A few weeks afterwards, I tried the fat-free again because I didn't want to throw it out--- talk about disgusting.

gawdess
Sun, Sep-28-03, 11:26
I used to eat a lot of dairy products. I remember I threw out almost whole gallon of milk when I first started. It was hard to do, I was a milk junkie. Now I get a stomachache thinking of drinking milk again! I love soy slender!!

Dstar96920
Sun, Sep-28-03, 17:12
When we started this woe, I put all my no-no foods in 3 BIG BOXES. We are bulk buyers - soups, pasta, triscuits, etc. and took them to my mom's house, where my sister and her friend went crazy! I must of had 4 bottles of fat free mayo -YUCK! Well, they wanted it. I even got thank you notes from them! I was the one that should of sent thank you notes, I'm the one down over 20 pounds!YAYAYAYAY!!!!!

Wenzday
Sun, Sep-28-03, 17:36
I havent thrown anything away...well maybe milk... I will eventually have to throw away my cereals... :( it will be very tough! the unopened ones I will donate to a food pantry with my 8 jars of unopened peanut butter... lol

potatofree
Sun, Sep-28-03, 22:46
I'd think the kids would be able to make short work of the peanut butter? Mine would LIVE on it if I let them!