PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar Question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

DerBlumers
Sat, Sep-27-03, 15:13
I just started my anti-candida diet....I was originally led to believe that I needed to eliminate all fermented foods...that included vinegar. After two days of struggling with substandard homemade mayo and gagging down my salads with horribly unpalatable salad dressing, I went searching for mayo and salad dressing in natural food stores...a brand that doesn't have vinegar, but low or no carb. After finally finding a brand that carried one (Annie's Naturals) I read the label...and to my horror, discovered that I'm allergic to one of the ingredients!!

Frustrated, I turned to a friend of mine, who has a degree in microbiology and nutrition (and runs his own health food store) and asked if he could find and order me some salad dressing that didn't have any vinegar. After explaining my situation, he looked rather puzzled, and told me that it didn't make sense....he could see the sense in everything else I was eliminating...the sugars, breads, yeasty stuff...EVERYTHING ELSE except VINEGAR.....and his reason was that the body needs to digest its food...so it doesn't make any difference whether or not vinegar is eliminated, because the body makes something similar enough to vinegar during digestion...it makes that environment anyway, so why bother.

Quite frankly, I was so desperate to have real salad dressing and real mayo, I bought a couple bottles of my favorite low carb dressing and have been eating my salads the last three days with the dressing. No more gagging....and all other stuff on the "avoid" list is still eliminated.

Has anyone heard of treating vinegar in this way? Believe me...this was absolute torture until I re-added the vinegar. Lemon juice doesn't cut it....and neither does dry salad. I'll go into starvation mode before I do that....because I literally have trouble swallowing the salads...

Thanks...

Tabby
Sun, Sep-28-03, 14:52
Just a thought......some diets advocate raw (?) apple cider vinegar--it supposedly has many benefits, so if you could make homemade mayo with the ACV, then you'd be okay. Anyway, just something to check on.......

DerBlumers
Sun, Sep-28-03, 15:31
Thanks Tabby....I hadn't heard that....believe me, it sure would make this a lot easier!

BTW...a SECOND nutrition store worker confirmed what my friend at the first one said...that vinegar should be okay.

doreen T
Sun, Sep-28-03, 22:55
Some resources suggest that the admonition against vinegar and processed foods made with it is that most products use standard white vinegar which is derived from GRAINS.

Pure apple cider vinegar, and naturally fermented foods such as tamari soy sauce, non-grain miso and sauerkraut (all organic of course) are permitted on some anti-Candida programs as long as they've been heated to kill any mold spores.

Doreen

funnyface
Fri, Oct-03-03, 07:32
Wow! Thanks for the info, guys! I have been wondering the same thing. Eating salad without salad dressing is somewhere I don't want to go, so it's nice to know that the apple cider vinegar is acceptable.